Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting it completely wrong.

arthurhenry

[quote name='bartelby' post='990176' date='Oct 16 2010, 01:30 PM']Yeah, I'd rather not have lessons from him...
[/quote]lets not find out..i want to say that was really bad but maybe its just not my cup of tea..even so...get a f***ing guitar...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='990229' date='Oct 16 2010, 02:18 PM']I thought the whole thing was VERY tongue-in-cheek (especially the shades) and VERY funny.

I don't think he takes himself half as seriously as some people are taking his advert. :)[/quote]
you would be suprised..

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='990390' date='Oct 16 2010, 05:21 PM']Other than the Muse 'riffing' that was virtually note for note direct from the BS/Talas album - Sink your teeth into that![/quote]

Ahhh Love that album! I have it on Vinyl! -

I have to agree that the video content was derivative, but no, did not feel that 1) the chap was taking it seriously or 2) was put any effort in to what he was playing. Other than the Muse 'riff' I think the timing if the other 'stuff' made it sound a bit poorly executed. Gotta be careful with tapping I think. It's all too easy to start and end on the beat, but everything in between is a bit loose, whilst contending with fat ole strings!

Going with 1) I think!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='990361' date='Oct 16 2010, 05:00 PM']...get a f***ing guitar...[/quote]

I'm actually really in to musicians 'interchanging' techniques. If Tony Levin wants to attach drum sticks to his fingers, then go for it mate! - I'm totally up for Bass Players using 'tap' techniques as well as chords and finger picking etc etc - so it often surprises me when people say 'get a f**ing guitar'! - I have to ask, why? :)

To flip it around, nobody gets upset when Andy McKee goes percussive! ;o)

All perfectly valid techniques on bass, I agree, but I'd like to think his lessons might include some mention of timing, consistency, feel, groove and simple root based lines. I get the impression it would be more a case of " welcome to your first bass lesson, let's start with some two handed tapping..." By the way have you ever heard of "Air harmonic tapping"!? I don't believe Sheehan ever gave this technique a name. It comes from the Van Halen "Mean street" intro.

I agree with Dood. I like taking things from other musicians and even other instrumentalists and applying it to bass playing to see if I can use it in a creative way. I wouldn't say I've ever been innovative in any way (nor will I be), but I do use chords, tapping and anything else I think of if it'll work in the context of what song I'm playing. It just seems like quite a lot of people don't want to take risks. Why limit yourself if you can learn something new?

On the other hand, if that was the bloke's audition for the vacant Oasis bass slot, I suspect it may have ended in tears....

I don't think that video's serious at all. Not a great add for bass lessons though, I'd want to see how a teacher could sit in a groove etc.

On the subject of mingling techniques, I do two hand tapping on bass (though it's not fast, it just sits nicely IMO) as part of one of my band's songs. As long as it's tasteful and has a groove (as everything on bass should IMO) I don't see any problem with it.