Why become a member? ×

The one you wish you'd never EVER sold...

Jigster

...what bass got away in some rash made impulsive idiotic decision?

Okay, well I'm slightly bucking my own thread cos my deepest regret for the one I let get away is actually trading my 1987 Gibson 335 for a 1973 Gibson EB0 bass.

It was the week after I'd lost my mum so I'm sure I was scattered brained anyway, but I got driven by some mad urge to possess the EB0 (which is now long gone in a trade for something else that is also now long gone!!), and I put the 335 in the car and drove two hours to do the deal.

There's not a week I don't think about that 335 and how STUPID I was!!!!!!!!!

It was a thing of beauty.

Anyone else?

nameless , probably Japanese Jazz bass. A cool looking wreck that (as far as I remember) played like a dream. For some reason I sold it to this guy for £30, he gave me £15 on the spot and was going to give me the rest next week.....25 years passed....
Probably looking at that bass through rose tinted specs but it's bass I really learned to play on.

This :) :

No it's not a bass. But i do have a bass story as well. I let some bloke in edinburgh practically rob me blind on a "deal" where i sent him a thomann jazz copy (+EXTRAS!) and he sent back a shine 5 string bass. It was an okay bass, i just should have never given him so much in return for it imo. Bet he was laughing his way to the cowgate when he got it...

Edited by EdwardHimself

Financially, I should never have flogged a 71 Jazz (sunburst, blocks, covers etc). Sold it about 7 or 8 years ago for £900. Worth well over two grand today.

Playing wise, I have had periods of regret about certain basses I have sold (eg, the red Nash Jazz, a white Fender Jazz) but I move on. So in reality je ne regrette rien!

I only regret selling my first expensive bass (I was about 17 at the time when I bought it).

Earlier this year, I was selling all my EBMMs to fund new ones, when I should have KEPT the Ray 4 Natural/Maple 3EQ. Stunning bass...perfect condition despite being 10 years old, (and I mean PERFECT....not even fret wear as I hardly used it due to the fact back then, £1000 felt like a lot more to me).

The rest? Hmm...nah....not so much. I miss my MIJ P Bass as it was again very good condition and worth keeping, but I was too busy stuck in 'Fender MIA land'.

Ive even moved on from that now...and back in EBMM land.

Ive told myself I need to hunt for that perfect Jazz (it will end up being a NASH me thinks, or a stunning MIA Fender when I find it) but Im a little bored of Jazzes right now.

Not a bass, a Gordon Smith GS-1 guitar, had to sell it so I could eat and stuff back in 98. Only got 175 for it, can't get another one for that now... boo... and Waynes got one, makes me jealous.... :)

I occasionally think of the Yamaha BB414 I offloaded a couple of years ago for £100 (only cost me £80) but I never really got on with it, which is why it went.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='989000' date='Oct 15 2010, 10:57 AM']Not a bass, a Gordon Smith GS-1 guitar, had to sell it so I could eat and stuff back in 98. Only got 175 for it, can't get another one for that now... boo... and Waynes got one, makes me jealous.... :)

I occasionally think of the Yamaha BB414 I offloaded a couple of years ago for £100 (only cost me £80) but I never really got on with it, which is why it went.[/quote]

Sorry.

Never had any regrets for selling stuff. I still have 3 basses, that's the one I learned on, my 6 string that brought me through college and my first bands for the last 10 years ago and a new (to me) Warwick that is my main playing bass. Other basses have come and gone over the years but I still have the two that hold sentimental value and one good one as a main player.

Black on black '73 (my birth year) Jazz with rosewood board, blocks and binding. My first decent bass and one which is now financially well out of my league. The rosey tint of nostalga leads me to remember it as light, resonous, easy to play and cool as f*ck. :)

My bitza MM Stingray which I think cd_david now owns. I let it go for way too little and it ended up being a much more pragmatic alternative to the Cutlass basses I had for a while. I miss that Modulus Sonic Hammer I sold a while back too - way too aggressive but played like a dream. I think Bassmonkey owns that now...

No regrets here. I have sold:

Epiphone EB-3 - first bass and looked great but bad balance, thin neck.
Squier Jazz - thin neck
AXL perspex thing - weighed a ton, bought as a laugh anyway
OLP MM3 - won by accident on ebay, I'm not ready for 5 string
Warwick Rockbass Corvette - sound didn't put me up or down and plain fingerboard (I like some dots at least)
Takamine acoustic bass - rather unwieldy to play, plain fingerboard
Traben Chaos Attack - sound didn't put me up or down
Fecker Imprecision (Squier Precision) - meh, it's a precision.
Squier Bronco - despite putting a lot of effort into tarting it up I decided I should man up and go long scale
Epiphone EB-0 - as above, decided short scale was not for me
Peavey Milestone III - bought locally for peanuts - broke it for parts and made a bit of a profit
Italia Maranello Z - bought it for the looks, but couldn't get into it

That's all I can remember.

I have evolved my collection to the point where I'm A) happy with what I have and B) can't really move "forward" without spending a lot of cash in a oner.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='989003' date='Oct 15 2010, 10:58 AM']Sorry.[/quote]
Long as it's in a punky world it's okay. Mine was the main workbeast of the mighty Lean Against the Washing Machine for the 2 years before I sold it.
Don't regret the Yamaha SG1000 though, never really liked it, though should as always have got more for it, and the vintage hiwatt cab, sound city head etc. etc....

MTD Kingston. Couldn't get on with the tone but played beautifully. Don't judge me...but I took it to crack convertors when I needed mortgage money! I should have kept it and swapped the electrics.

Kiss Pinball machine. Only got a couple of hundred for it. Should have kept it as an investment.

I hate these threads because they always remind me of my regret in selling these two Les Paul basses.
I had packed in playing around 1980 and these had been in the loft for a while. One of my nephews talked me into selling them to his mate. The worse thing was, I was dabbling with CB radio at the time and put the cash into this and within a few weeks my head was cabbaged with the muppets on the air.
I still have the EB3 although in pieces at the mo' awaiting [i]another[/i] refin.

[attachment=61410:GibsonBasses.jpg]

I sold my MusicMan SUB Sterling four-string.. and boy do I regret it now.
I have a five-string and a six-string and I just think sometimes it would've been a good idea to keep a four-string..
It was really great. ._.

Edit: Here's the best pic I could find.. it's from a gig about four or five years ago!

Edited by BedroomBassist