Why become a member? ×

Is technique that important?

BassBus

As the title suggests. I appreciate that there are certain areas of playing where a good technique will be required such as orchestral playing and probably general session work. However, I find I have no shortage of people who enjoy having me play with their bands. Even recently, after a two year layoff from regular playing due to academic commitments, I was asked to play by a guy who is a professional player. That was after a depping gig in which I made loads of mistakes.

Now, I’m the first to admit I do not have a high degree of technique on either electric or double bass. I am also only an amateur and don’t intend to be anything else as that gives the fun I want in music. There must be something else that attracts people to my playing.

I also work as a counsellor and it is widely regarded in that profession that the relationship is the most important requirement for success with a client. Counsellors who have a high degree of knowledge and technique, but no ability at building the relationship, are far less likely to be useful to the client than those who have a lower level of knowledge and technique but a great ability at building the relationship.

Therefore, does the same not work in music if we just wish to remain as amateurs? We are building relationships not just with the band in which we play but also the audiences we play to. Is it not more important to "play for the music"”(groan, cliché) than to have all the technique under the sun. Discuss.

Edited by BassBus

As with most things, it depends on what your goals are. For the bands I play with (link in sig) technique is important because I need to play pretty fast and reasonably intricate lines quite a lot to be appropriate.

It's just as much of a fallacy to assume that simple is always best as to assume that lots of notes is always best. More technique gives you more options; if you're happy with the options you have then it's not a problem.

IMO technique is only important if it gets in the way of the music that your playing.

It works both ways in that a lack of technique may prevent you from playing what you really want/need to, but conversely it's just as bad to play something inappropriate to the music simply because you want to show off a new "trick" that you've learnt.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='983474' date='Oct 10 2010, 04:46 PM']IMO technique is only important if it gets in the way of the music that your playing.

It works both ways in that a lack of technique may prevent you from playing what you really want/need to, but conversely it's just as bad to play something inappropriate to the music simply because you want to show off a new "trick" that you've learnt.[/quote]
I'm inclined to agree with BigRedX here. I think getting proper technique is important but then there is the danger of compromising the tune to be flash. I don't necessarily subscribe to the "cool to be crap" view but ultimately it's a balance

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='983494' date='Oct 10 2010, 05:10 PM']having a good technique can minimise the risk of long term effects such as RSI's.[/quote]

+1 on this.

Also where is the harm in expanding your palette and opening up to new ideas and techniques?

Just like there are no people who regret learning theory or reading, I've never heard anyone regretting learning good technique. I'm a better musician as a result of my reasonably decent technique as I rarely have difficulty playing anything I need to.

I see bassists around that play with that three finger (no pinky) approach and many of them seem to have to work harder to play the notes whereas someone with good technique will appear to be more economical and someone with great technique can make it look effortless. Bad technique generally makes doing anything harder and less accurate.

Unfortunately having good technique means that you turn into a complete twat that no one wants to know or play with - it's a trade off but one that many of us take :)

Last week I was watching bassist Josh Stopford of Yes Sir Boss, he seems like a very friendly chap who can groove with the best of them. He has great technique, very economical and an obvious thorough knowledge of the fretboard and it was as much a pleasure to watch and learn as it was to listen to. If anyone's interested, they're playing Motion in Bristol on Nov 5.

Edited by Sean

Not really if you have nice hair and people think you look pretty onstage. Most people wont know the difference.

If the way you play is preventing you from playing what your brain wants you to do, then its worth having a think about your technique. Also with recording I think that poor technique can show up, especially when matched with a bass with pretty low action.

That said I don't think there is a textbook 'right' way to play bass, in the same way that has developed for the piano, violin etc. The electric bass has only been around for a small period of time, so I still think there is scope for developing technique and ways of playing the bass.

I personally think there are far too many 'session player' clones that predominantly use slap, double-thumb technique whenever they can, and will only ever play fingerstyle on the back pickup of a really expensive jazz bass. I think it leads to a very 'boxed in' understanding of the various ways and styles in which a bass can be played.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='983474' date='Oct 10 2010, 04:46 PM']IMO technique is only important if it gets in the way of the music that your playing.

It works both ways in that a lack of technique may prevent you from playing what you really want/need to, but conversely it's just as bad to play something inappropriate to the music simply because you want to show off a new "trick" that you've learnt.[/quote]

Having good technical ability and playing something 'inappropiate are two entirely different things.

Having good technique enables you to play what you are hearing, or what the band/MD/producer/artiste wants you to play.

Playing something inappropiate is just showing off or not caring about the music.

Good technical ability is as important in music as it is in football, snooker, tennis or anuthing else 'physical'.

It is not and cannot possibly be a hindrance to your creativity if you are able to play comfortably what you are hearing in your mind.
Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish.

If you have to/want to play something and you struggle physically you soon find out how important technique is. The whole point of developing your technique is so that you don't have to worry about anything. Having good technique will not hinder you,it will just make the job a lot easier.

i think your ability to listen is more important than your level of technique.
I've been asked to play on things because people know my level of hearing is such i can play stuff that is 'right' for the track.
Over the years the stuff that is 'right' has become more learned as i improve my technique, but that is like a tool for the job

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='983815' date='Oct 10 2010, 09:35 PM']i think your ability to listen is more important than your level of technique.
I've been asked to play on things because people know my level of hearing is such i can play stuff that is 'right' for the track.
Over the years the stuff that is 'right' has become more learned as i improve my technique, but that is like a tool for the job[/quote]

But to be able to play the stuff that is right for the track, you have to be physically able to play the stuff that you're hearing :).

[quote name='Doddy' post='983779' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:59 PM']If you have to/want to play something and you struggle physically you soon find out how important technique is. The whole point of developing your technique is so that you don't have to worry about anything. Having good technique will not hinder you,it will just make the job a lot easier.[/quote]

Yeah what he said ! :)

But would like to add that I believe technique is neither more or less important than musicality - to my mind the two things go hand in hand. You want the technique to be spot on, so as Doddy says above, you don't have to worry about anything and the lack of technique won't hinder you, but technique without the musical side of things is a little pointless (yes, those guys who slap bass at a 100 notes per second without sounded particularily good I'm look at you :lol:).

Like I tell my students.

Playing a musical instrument is a bit like playing football.

We can all kick a ball about, but that doesn't make us footballers. It's about control of what you're doing, and execution of what you do.

Technique can kind of be broken down in to a couple of different elements..............

1) Basic playing, eg. clean picking only playing the string you want to play, muting so that unwanted strings don't ring. Ergonomics, efficiency of movement so you use the minimum of effort to play, you don't want to get cramp while playing. This comes from good left/right hand technique. Playing close to the bridge for a 'tighter' sound, moving closer to the neck more a more rounded sound. Bending strings, hammer ons, slurs, harmonics, playing chords etc, etc.

2) Technique for 'the gig'. What genre of music are you going to be playing ? Does it require slapping ? Is a fretless bass suited to the track, and all that entails..vibrato etc. Does the track/gig require detuning or a 5 string to get notes lower than an 'E'.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='983860' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:13 PM']Like I tell my students.

Playing a musical instrument is a bit like playing football.

We can all kick a ball about, but that doesn't make us footballers. It's about control of what you're doing, and execution of what you do.

Technique can kind of be broken down in to a couple of different elements..............

1) Basic playing, eg. clean picking only playing the string you want to play, muting so that unwanted strings don't ring. Ergonomics, efficiency of movement so you use the minimum of effort to play, you don't want to get cramp while playing. This comes from good left/right hand technique. Playing close to the bridge for a 'tighter' sound, moving closer to the neck more a more rounded sound. Bending strings, hammer ons, slurs, harmonics, playing chords etc, etc.

2) Technique for 'the gig'. What genre of music are you going to be playing ? Does it require slapping ? Is a fretless bass suited to the track, and all that entails..vibrato etc. Does the track/gig require detuning or a 5 string to get notes lower than an 'E'.[/quote]

so on that metaphor wimbledon beating liverpool to win the 1989 FA cup is punk?
a team playing the simplest football with passion can beat the most pure football sides with the best technique. As a spurs fan ill ask when arsenal last won something.... :)

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='983714' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:01 PM']Having good technical ability and playing something 'inappropiate are two entirely different things.

Having good technique enables you to play what you are hearing, or what the band/MD/producer/artiste wants you to play.

Playing something inappropiate is just showing off or not caring about the music.

Good technical ability is as important in music as it is in football, snooker, tennis or anuthing else 'physical'.

It is not and cannot possibly be a hindrance to your creativity if you are able to play comfortably what you are hearing in your mind.
Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish.[/quote]
This, 100%.

Jon.

A hell of a lot of people 'get by' with the way they play.

Sure, they're playing with bands and gigging, maybe doing some session work even. They really don't realise how much their playing can be improved by doing something a little different. Using a different approach towards an aspect of their playing.

I mainly play 5 and 6 string basses. I went like most people from 4 to 5 and then to 6 strings. Taking everything I'd learned on a 4 string bass to each one. Applying the same playing technique to 5 and 6 string as I used on a 4 string.

It was only when I had a lesson from Steve Lawson (I wanted to improve my solo playing), that I realised how much better my playing would be by using a different right hand approach. I was playing with my thumb resting on the low B string and stretching down to play the G and C strings.

I studied briefly with the US player Todd Johnson a couple of years ago too. I learned some cool muting stuff from him. Again tidying my playing up. He uses the 'floating thumb' thing a lot in his playing.

What I'm saying is you need to keep an open mind with regard to learning, and improving your playing. Forget the 'if it aint broke' mentality that so many people adopt.

Why can’t people just say it as it is? They are happy doing what they are doing and can’t be bothered to lean any more instead of pretending it’s an artistic decision.
Just because you have a good technique doesn’t mean that you overplay that is down to musicality you can still play root notes or simple melodic lines. My bass technique allows to turn my ideas into music but when I play guitar my ideas are far greater than my ability and it’s very frustrating.

IMO technique is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. If the music/your ideas require a higher level of technique, then yes, it is very important. If the music/your ideas dont require a high level of technique then no, its not of particular importance. For example, to execute Dream Theater bass parts (thinking instrumedley, metropolis part 1) with fluidity, a high level of technique and dexterity is required. Wheras with Jamiroquai tunes, a fantastic sense of groove is far more important than raw technical prowess.