Why become a member? ×

Is technique that important?

BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='986958' date='Oct 13 2010, 02:06 PM']A number of examples of those without great flourish to their playing have been given. These players do fit so well with the music they play in though.[/quote]

Yes they do fit the music- but we are(I am) referring to technique and not if they fit the band or not.
Let me put it this way,you can play U2 lines with minimal technique,but if you have more to spare it makes it so much easier,because you aren't pushing to your limit.

Not working on your technique is almost like not learning how to speak correctly, it's a cliche I know, but depending on the level of dialogue you want to enter into and express yourself at... so it's up to you if you are happy to be a witty but inarticulate wag, or a refined and elegant speaker. Or both!

Having good technique will give you the chance to choose.

M

After an assessment from jake a while back, although I cant read a note, left me with the feeling that technique wise, id not done bad as a self taught player, mainly from books (Jake correct me if I wrong :))

Do I wish Id had the chance to take lessons when I was young and learn technique properly along with reading skills, yes of course, but it was not possible in my circumstance

But this does not stop me and the people who dance at our gigs having fun, and thats my simple goal based on what I have to hand

Same as not being perfect technique football player does not stop me, my teammates and our opponents having some fantastic days out doing that

Technique is important, but I know that there are martial artists out there with great technical technique, who would come a cropper in a street fight against a strong, determined street fighting headcase

I wish I had more technique in many things, but if I wait for it, i will miss out in life big time

[quote name='lojo' post='987693' date='Oct 14 2010, 08:55 AM']After an assessment from jake a while back, although I cant read a note, left me with the feeling that technique wise, id not done bad as a self taught player, mainly from books (Jake correct me if I wrong :))

Do I wish Id had the chance to take lessons when I was young and learn technique properly along with reading skills, yes of course, but it was not possible in my circumstance

But this does not stop me and the people who dance at our gigs having fun, and thats my simple goal based on what I have to hand

Same as not being perfect technique football player does not stop me, my teammates and our opponents having some fantastic days out doing that

Technique is important, but I know that there are martial artists out there with great technical technique, who would come a cropper in a street fight against a strong, determined street fighting headcase

I wish I had more technique in many things, but if I wait for it, i will miss out in life big time[/quote]
I think this sums up my feelings. It's all down to the individual to relate to the people he/she plays with and for so that we can achieve a level of satisfaction we are happy with. There are no shoulds or shouldn'ts in life. In some individuals searching for what might be regarded, by some, as perfect technique can shut the fun out of what you do.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='987715' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:16 AM']I think this sums up my feelings. It's all down to the individual to relate to the people he/she plays with and for so that we can achieve a level of satisfaction we are happy with. [i]There are no shoulds or shouldn'ts in life[/i]. In some individuals searching for what might be regarded, by some, as perfect technique can shut the fun out of what you do.[/quote]

I agree with most of what you say, but if the way you play is going to cause you health problems - you shouldn't do it that way.

It just occurred to me that this conversation needs a few parameters in order to let 'each to his own' prevail.
It depends very much on the extent to which music is a part of your life, and without prejudice that can be anything from a gig a month (or even just a rehearsal band for fun) right through to living and breathing music.

I personally am somewhere near the extreme end, I can't go a day without listening intently or playing/studying some form of music and I listen to a very wide range of stuff and pride myself on being a very authentic player in a wide variety of styles which I do mainly by absorbing nuance to a degree that drives the people around me to distraction (read as play the same track for months at a time)

Mine is just one example, many players who are heavily involved in the business will have their own bent, and there are degrees of seriousness, as I said, from that down to very casual involvement, and the best thing about music is that it's all valid and very personally defined which is why in my reckoning so many people are so passionate about music.

Music is the best (Frank Zappa)