Why become a member? ×

Root, fifth, octave.

arthurhenry

[quote name='goblin' post='948840' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:23 PM']little finger :)[/quote]
Mostly

[quote name='dood' post='948855' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:36 PM']It depends on what I have played before it and and where I need to go after![/quote]
Sometimes, so both

I usually use my index finger for the root,ring finger for the fifth,little finger for the octave. Although I occasionally
use my little finger for the fifth and octave but never barring-I play both notes with my fingertip. Obviously,I only
do this if I'm playing the notes individually.

[quote name='Toasted' post='949138' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:23 AM']It depend where I'm coming from and what I'm playing next... also where I'm playing on the neck.[/quote]
+1

Also, I find it virtually impossible to do index, ring, little on a fretless (and play in tune :) ). There's just not enough room for all those man-fingers, so I'll almost always barre it when I'm without frets. Which is almost all of the time.

I'll go with Toasted and BottomEndian - context changes things, and even with lickle hands, fretless is easier with one finger (I think I tend to fret the string I'm playing rather than barre it though).

However, on the Ashbory, I tend to use a violinny left-hand position quite a bit of the time, and that makes ring and little fingers the obvious choice.

Don't know whether it's because I didn't really come to bass from being a guitar player but I don't naturally barr strings with a single finger across fretts. Playing a one off root-5th-Octave I tend to go index-middle-ring by default.

[quote name='MythSte' post='949049' date='Sep 8 2010, 03:36 AM']Index-Ring-Pinkie here :)[/quote]

+1! I think the two fingers I use the most actually are index and pinkie, which is why I can't understand people not using all four to fret! I'd be lost without the little one.

As others have said, it depends on where I've been, and where I'm going. Having tried it, it seems I'd use one finger per note -- index, ring, pinky -- although I [i]might[/i] barre it on a fretted bass, but I don't ever double-stop on fretless by barring (presumably cos I'd never do it on the double bass).