Why become a member? ×

OldGit

Rich

I'm only catching up with this thread now. I can't believe we have lost a member - I remember him giving me great advice about my band's website back in the day and in retrospect the man was spot on with his recommendations! A truly great, knowledgable member who I will miss. I'm sure he's having the time of it at the great ceilidh gig in the sky. RIP Simon.

Been away from the forum a bit and totally stunned to find out we have lost Si. When I read the news, I could not believe it was who I thought. Very shocked. Si really was an amazing person. He helped me and gave me some advice of Jap Fenders but was never pushy. His humour was great. Very very sad news indeed. RIP Si and thanks for all the help.

I hope this is not insensitive but I never saw the original thread. Would it be wrong or rude to ask via PM what actually happened? Sorry if this offends and I will remove if it does.

WOW.
I've only just read this thread due to being off line so long.
I'm truley shocked to hear Si is no longer with us.
I met him before I emigrated when I bought his Peavey BAM combo while he visited Shuker for his next creation.
A more down to earth and honest guy you could never have met. We kept in touch when I moved and he was genuinley interested in how I was doing over here.
I will miss his posts on the forum.
RIP Si.

Col

[quote name='Beedster' post='926081' date='Aug 16 2010, 06:40 AM']Very very sad. We never met but we PM'd many times about vintage Precisions! He was one of the real experts here, no attitude or rhetoric, just knowledge and experience, these coupled with a real desire to share both without any sense of "I'm the expert". His many threads and posts over many years will ensure that we and future members will continue to benefit from his generous nature and extensive experience.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Chris[/quote]
+1

Like Chris, I never met Si but we shared a number PMs over the years about a diverse range of things..basses (obviously), websites, setting up Bass Bashes, marketing etc..On all occassions he was warm, funny, generous and sincere and you can't ask for much more than that from the people you meet in life!

I've only just found out this news this morning and am truly shocked.. I've got 2 gigs this weekend and will dedicate them to him I think..

My condolences go out to all those who he held dear and to all those who knew him.

We never met, but shared numerous PM's about our mutual favourite subjects.....Wood & Tronics, Shuker and 'P' basses.
I always eagerly awaited his comments, advice and friendly banter, a true gentleman, who will be sadly missed.

My sincere condolences to Simon's family and close friends.

Cameron

I too, am deeply saddened by this news as I had been in touch with Si just a couple of weeks ago. He was a true gent and was always ready to help. I know his presence on Basschat will be missed terribly and condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Si

[quote name='Nick Brown' post='932072' date='Aug 21 2010, 05:49 PM']Shocking and sad news, I only met Si once when a few of us got together when Enrico visited from W&T.
He was the kind of guy you just liked from the word go, very warm and big hearted.
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Simon

[/quote]
How typical of him to be wearing the biggest smile in the room :)

Damn very sad news - the one time I met him at a Bass Bash two years ago he said "stop playing that jazz nonsense!" which I wasn't too happy about at the time :) but he came across as a guy who loved life and loved bass and music in general - and his contributuion to Basschat has been immense and very well noticed - it's awful news and I really feel for his close friends and family.

RIP OG

Only just caught wind of this tonight. Truly sad and has really hit me considering we were just catching up over PMs at the beginning of August! He was a fantastic, warm, good-humoured and humble gent, and the world has been bettered for him having been in it.

I cannot, unfortunately, make the gathering due to work commitments. My prayers are with his family.

Mark