Why become a member? ×

OldGit

Rich

Again, very very upset to hear about Si - simple words can't express it but all I know is that he was a very good man and the love felt for him here is a pure and uncoloured testament to him. We met at Northampton and exchanged some messages about the first edition Squier basses and he was as dry as a bone, very funny man.

Wherever you are right now mate, we luv ya x

Nick

I am truly shocked and saddened at this news. Having only just seen it, I couldn't quite believe what I was reading.

All I can really add to the already kind and heartwarming comments before me is that having had the pleasure of meeting Simon at the recent Cardiff bass bash, I met a true gentlemen. One who took so much time and trouble to ensure a good time was had by all and that everyone was welcomed without a scoff of snobbery. From having the pleasure of seeing Simon in action here on Basschat, I know this wasn't a one off, and that his time, knowledge, humour and decency was here for anyone and everyone in equal measure.

To Rich, I can only imagine what an awful and difficult past few days this has been for you. You and CK both deserve all of our thanks and respect for the manner in which you have given the board such terrible news about Simon. Take care of yourself Rich.

Most importantly, To Simons family and friends, Im truly sorry for your loss. Words must seem pretty shallow and empty compared to what you must be feeling right now. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing how truly appreciated Simon's unique and distinctive presence in this community has been over the years. He will be sorely missed by all in these parts.

RIP Simon.

Hubby and i still cant quite believe this awful news. Si and Alan (drummer) played together in the Soul Destroyers for several years and Si was always up for a great gig, and a good laugh ( more sax in the mix mate!!).He was even known to help load hubby's kit in and out occasionally! All these posts, all saying such good, positive things about him, I hope his family can draw strength from all the love that surrounds this most generous of men. One of my favourite songs says that 'no-one leaves you when they live in your hearts and minds'...well, if that's true,Si will be around us all for a long time to come. RIP you lovely, lovely soul man xxx

Never met him, didn't know his name was Si. Not ever had much to do with him, in fact. One time I asked a question about string winders and he sent me one, just like that. I'll never get to buy him that beer, now. RIP.

I've been away for the past few days and have only just heard the news. I'm absolutely gutted. I got to know Si pretty well over the past couple of years. He was always a complete gent, was great fun, and a good friend to me. If he could help you in any way, he would. I'll miss him terribly. Words fail me. RIP mate.

wow. im shocked at reading this news. I've only vaguely lurked here for about a year and Simon picked up on my Fender interest. I'd bought a Geddy Jazz but was after a Precision... I live in Cardiff, a short walk from Simon as it turned out, so he invited me round to try his collection of Jap Fenders, so one sunny day I took my Orange Terror and Barefaced over so he could try them. Twas intended as a brief visit but I think we ended up talking (or me listening!) for over 2 hours as I gleaned as much as I could from Si. He gave me some technique tips, some bass lines I should learn, told me TONS of stuff about Fenders and the re-issues, tones, bass in general, playing in bands, even got out his box of tricks... literally bells and whistles that he used in his various gigs. I was enthralled and Very impressed! Simon was a true gent and took time out to talk about all kinds of things, not to mention letting me play the dots on his basses for those two hours! I still have long emails from after the visit about Precisions and I was waiting for him to get some more in as I felt I wanted to get one from him, he said he was taking a break for a while.

and now this. Well, Im quite gutted.

R.I.P Si :)

I had become stuck when attempting to build websites for my bands, and after a PM to Simon asking for some advice on this he was a great help, sending loads of info and much needed encouragement. We were still working on the websites, and I was really looking forward to the day I would finish them & be able to thank him, and it saddens me that I'll never be able to do that now.

Jennifer

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

I used to tell people that I'd met this guy on-line who was helping with my web-site, and I couldn't believe the amount of effort he put into it for no pay or obvious gain... he genuinely just wanted to help out a total stranger.
Pages of emails for weeks and weeks, thousands of pounds worth of work he did for nothing. When I tried to get him a token gift at the end of it all, he was having none of it!

We kept in touch, and most recently I bought a beautiful Jap Precision from him. I'll miss his emails. I'd always hoped that I'd get to meet him to thank him in person for being such a cool guy. I really felt like I knew him.

One last time..... thank you so much Si for everything.

Your a legend.

Jesse

Just reading this today and it's knocked me for six. Like many, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him face to face but I felt like he was a mate I could ask any question that popped into my head about bass or whatever. I bought a Precision off him a month or so back that has quickly become my regular bass. I'll be playing in tonight in his honour and I'm sure there'll be tears.

I loved his sense of humour. I'm sure everyone has their own stories or anecdotes they could share. Here's mine. Just scroll down to the last comment and revel in the warmth and humour and sheer mischief that comes across in Simon's post. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18207"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18207[/url]

Thanks to all who posted pictures of him - it's lovely to put a face to a name. Now I can imagine the mad hatter scheming away, finding that picture.

I'll miss him for sure. He made Basschat more than words and pictures.

I too can only echo the wonderfully put sentiments of fellow Basschatters. I didn't know Simon other than through posts and a couple of PMs but I found him to be somebody who's posts I enjoyed reading and one of life's good guys. I feel quite stunned reading this thread and my thoughts are with his friends and family.

I must add to the chorus of disbelief. Like so many others, I only got to converse with him through the forum, but it was always such an enjoyable experience and I'm deeply saddened by his loss. My sincerest condolences to all who knew and loved him.

I am truly shocked. This thread ha just been bought to my attention as I have been away on my honeymoon... What news to get back to!

While I only spoke online with Si on a few occasions I did spend some time with him at BassDirect a few months back at the W&T mini bash. He was a great, funny and friendly guy.

It's been said a million times already, but he will be missed by this community and sure many many other people besides.

Shep