Why become a member? ×

OldGit

Rich

Dear All,

I have just read all the posts and am overwhelmed by the outpouring of feeling from all Si's friends on Bass chat. I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful comments and support. It is amazing to know how much he was loved and respected and it is very comforting to us all.

I know how important a part of his life you all were - many is the time that you have all delayed our supper as I have tried to get him to move the lap top off the kitchen table while he was mid-post. Old rockers always have this selective deafness don't they? Si always blamed it on the drummer...

Thank you Rich for posting the original information and the details of the funeral. We do want charity donations but I hven't decided which yet - out of the many that he has supported over the years. thanks also for the great, happy photos - good memories.

We are hoping to do a Tribute gig, probably in the New Year, possibly Cardiff or Bristol, with some of the bands he has played with. I will keep you posted as our plans develop.

I apologise if there are any close friends out there who we were unable to inform before the news hit the forum and facebook - I still don't have access to his full address list. technology is great but not nearly so accessible as paper.

Again - I can't thank all enough for the support

Ros "Mrs Simon Cox" The Old Git's other half

Dear Ros,

I've just seen your post and would like to express my sincerest condolences to you personally for your sad loss and say thank you for taking the time to reply to all here.
I think it's safe to say Simon will not be forgotten here on Basschat and as you've seen (and already know), he was a very well-respected and valued member of the bass community.

I'll also look forward to news of whichever charity you decided to nominate in Si's memory. A tribute gig is a great idea, too! :)

Best wishes to you and your family,

Steve (Stingray5)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='933296' date='Aug 23 2010, 03:38 AM']Dear Ros,

I've just seen your post and would like to express my sincerest condolences to you personally for your sad loss and say thank you for taking the time to reply to all here.
I think it's safe to say Simon will not be forgotten here on Basschat and as you've seen (and already know), he was a very well-respected and valued member of the bass community.

I'll also look forward to news of whichever charity you decided to nominate in Si's memory. A tribute gig is a great idea, too! :)

Steve (Stingray5)[/quote]
+1

I too have only just picked up on this sad, sad news. Si persuaded me to come to last year's Bash he organised in Cardiff and completely sucked me in to his sense of humour and infectious spirit. My sincerest condolences to all the family and close friends, who I suspect run into the hundreds. I had been completely misled by the original post, thinking that he was up to some prank or other and half expected him to turn up in a Wurzel band in X-factor or something. What a shock.

Sadly I can't be at the Crematorium on Wednesday 1st as I am abroad, but I'll find a bottle and let the sun go dim for a while.

IMPORTANT: Funeral arrangement changes

Date and venue are as before -- Wednesday 1st September at Canford Cemetery, address as before -- but the time is now [b]11.30[/b] rather than 12.00

The venue for the wake has changed nand is now: [b]The Eastfield Inn, 219 Henleaze Road, Bristol BS9 4NQ[/b], tel no is [b]0117 949 9908[/b]

Thanks for posting Rich - must've been a real toughy mate

I can only add to sentiments shared across this thread already

Had a couple of brief but enjoyable chats with Si in various threads and we shared a few PM's about bands, bass and the ukulele. All I can say he was a cracking bloke who I'd wished I'd met in person and I offer my deepest sympathies to Ros and all who knew Si personally

RIP OldGit

I can also only echo the sentiments of many of those already on here.
I had the pleasure of meeting OldGit briefly at a bass bash in Northampton and had a very enjoyable chat as one old git to another, as were our few exchanges on the forum.
A really nice guy in person as well as on Basschat. One of the best contributors on here and now sadly missed.

Much love and sympathy to Mrs OG and family
Mike

Dear All,

Funeral Wednesday 1.9.10, 11:30 Canford Cemetery, Canford Lane, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, BS9 3PQ and afterwards at

Eastfield Inn
219 Henleaze Road, Bristol BS9 4NQ
0117 949 9908

It does have a live music licence.

No flowers but donations to:
The Kambia Appeal (www.kambia.org.uk - supporting health care in Sierral Leone - a project that we both have personally been involved in)
The Samaritans (www.samaritans.org)

Ros

Wow, this is a shocker. I had no idea about this until just now.
I never met him but recently my band stepped in to do a wedding for a friend of his in Bristol so we had some good dialogue going on via PM.
I said i owed him a drink or two and was hoping to meet him one day so i could thank him personally as we are due to go bakc there at some point.

I also just found out my old keyboard player died last week.

Bugger.

Edited by dave_bass5

Oh no, this is terrible. I've been too busy to visit the forum lately, so I've only just seen this. :)

Every successful forum seems to have a handful of members that are an establishment. Si was one of them, and for all the right reasons - in my brief virtual encounters with him, I don't think his genuine warmth could have been more apparent. And I didn't even meet the guy! This place won't be the same without him. RIP.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='933296' date='Aug 23 2010, 03:38 AM']Dear Ros,

Steve (Stingray5)[/quote]

+1

Chris

Very saddening news, my condolences go out to his family and friends :)

Si and I exchanged PMs about the web design thread; he was a very knowledgeable fellow and a pleasure to chat with.

Edited by HMX

A mutual friend just told me this very sad news. About 18 or so years ago, I played in a blues/soul combo called ' Built for Comfort.' (one of many by that name, I believe) Simon was part of the three-man brass section who struggled to make sense of my fledging (and often illiterate!) brass-section parts. Although we had not spoken recently, I came across him about 15 months ago, playing Bass this time, in a Celidh band. As ever, he was effusive, warm and ebullient; enthusiastic as ever about all aspects of music, disparaging about his own abilities on the Bass (much more than he needed to be!) but we both knew then as now, that enthusiasm and a love of music and making music, can get you a long way. I knew him as a good man, with a great sense of humour (and a dodgy choice of cars!) Hearing of his sad demise, took me back to all the good times we shared in Pubs and clubs around Bath and Bristol; a good man, and a much better Bass player than he gave himself credit for!
See ya, Simon.....