Why become a member? ×

The ***Dream Bass***

Stag

OK... my dream bass has turned up for sale at a dealership. Its a Rick 4001 in the right colour (which is rare-ish) and with the case, in excellent nick, and its the right age. It is also, understandably, a fair bit of wedge. GAS.

Now. This is where it gets interesting. I already own a Rick 4001, but its in cream (I have always presumed the previous owner had a Chris Squire fetish and refin'd it as such) which has some sentimental value to it, as it was bought with money from pretty much everyone in my family for my 21'st birthday... a few years back ahem. I have been thinking, should I actually sell my old Rick to finance getting the dream one... I know ill never ever want another bass after it and it would be the "go-to" instrument my current one is. Also, id probably consider parting with one of the others to finance it as well for the same reason, even my '72 Gibson as it doesnt get as much use as it perhaps should considering the effort (and cost) it took to get it.

What would you, wonderful BassChatters, do? Have you been in a similar position where you have seen "The One" and sold your basses / amps / kidneys / eyes to pay for it?

I suppose in the first instance I would make sure it was actually a good one. So apart from drooling over it and getting too excited, I would closely examine every bit of it and then play it, both unplugged and through an amp.
If all was to my satisfaction and it really was the one that I had always wanted, then I would be happy to sell/exchange other instruments to fund the purchase.

Finally, it's highly unlikely that you will never want another bass, although that is a good line to use when discussing these sort of purchases with partners/wifes/girlfriends etc.

Good luck and enjoy the decision making process.

Hmmm, yes.... trying it would probably be a good idea. Its along way away though from where I live. Cant see it being too dissimilar to my current axe to actually play :-)

Any other opinions out there? i would have thought given the amount of BC Market Place action on here (which at some times resembles being in a chain to buy a house) there would be some other insights on here...

After selling my first Kubicki Ex Factor, I realised it was my dream bass. Everything about them, the sound, the look, the design, the feel - perfect for me.

To get myself one for a second time, I traded a brilliant, mint condition Warwick Thumb BO with a slim wenge neck. Never looked back either, but I did have to drive to Lancashire M6 services to trade for it, and to get there for like 11 in the morning after finishing work at 1200 the previous night! That was an early morning and a half! I'll never be as daft as to let it go again!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='920798' date='Aug 10 2010, 05:12 PM']After selling my first Kubicki Ex Factor, I realised it was my dream bass. Everything about them, the sound, the look, the design, the feel - perfect for me.

To get myself one for a second time, I traded a brilliant, mint condition Warwick Thumb BO with a slim wenge neck. Never looked back either, but I did have to drive to Lancashire M6 services to trade for it, and to get there for like 11 in the morning after finishing work at 1200 the previous night! That was an early morning and a half! I'll never be as daft as to let it go again!

[/quote]

Thats more like it! Well done sir :)

I would do nothing without trying it first if its that good its worth the trip and when you get there leave a deposit and work out the finer details after,If something is the one its worth doing whatever but if you sell a load of good gear and it plays like crap you are going to be annoyed. No 2 basses play the same however it might be better than you current one but what if you decide to do it and there is a problem like a crack or something? How many cars for sale are "mint condition" then in the flesh they are ready for scrap?
I sold an MGB GT this year for a pre EB stingray and IMO it will be easier for me to replace the car with a better one than I had than to find another nice early Ray,I sent a deposit of a £50 cheque then went the 350 mile round trip a couple of weeks later and all was good deal done! :)

Before you even think of financing the new bass, take your existing 4001 and compare the two. Whether the new one is the right colour or not, it needs to be at least as good, or even better than your current bass in order to be worth the hassle and extra outlay in my view. :) Make sure the sound/feel of the new bass is superior to the old, otherwise it's really not worth changing over a colour.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

As something of a 'seasoned campaigner' on the buying & selling trail (check my Sig for my current status, lol) then I'd consider owning both side by side for a while if you can afford it & then selling the one that you like least when you've really had a chance to compare them.

If you buy wisely and don't pay over the odds then you should get back something close to your initial outlay when you come to sell. You'll just be out of pocket for a while in between time.

There are also some good interest free credit card deals around - I'm not suggesting simply getting into long term debt though, lol.

I've been fortunate enough to have one particular bass on trial for about a month & have decided I pretty much have to buy it, I'm now selling more or less any of my basses that anyone wants to buy to fund it but I'm pleased I was able to have the trial period first :)

I think as time goes on you realise that there is very seldom "The One", so much as great instruments that you love to play and a bunch that run between nice and garbage*.

I sold a rare (even then) Kawasaki S1B back in the late 70s to buy 'the one' amp (and that never was, really) but that's about it. About 8 years ago I came across a Les Paul that, by comparison with almost every Les Paul I've ever played since, was completely phenomenal: not realising how rare a great one was, just let it go.

If you've played it and for you it's really the only one like it, then by all means flog whatever it takes. Just be careful that you've not been influenced by some pretty eyes and imagining how great she'll feel when you snuggle up in the years to come - our imaginations can lead us by the nose and let us down!

*I now own 10 or 11 guitars and a couple of basses. I've bought, sold and traded a bunch of stuff over the years, but there's only really 3 of that number that I'd not willingly let go despite some others being high end.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Stag' post='920018' date='Aug 9 2010, 08:28 PM']sentimental value to it, as it was bought with money from pretty much everyone in my family for my 21'st birthday... a few years back ahem.[/quote]

Not to be a stick in the mud but this would really bother me. I have a bass (only about £500 new) that was bought by my family for my 21st and there's no way I'd let it go.

I know different people would feel differently about this.

[quote name='molan' post='920842' date='Aug 10 2010, 05:53 PM']As something of a 'seasoned campaigner' on the buying & selling trail (check my Sig for my current status, lol) then I'd consider owning both side by side for a while if you can afford it & then selling the one that you like least when you've really had a chance to compare them.

If you buy wisely and don't pay over the odds then you should get back something close to your initial outlay when you come to sell. You'll just be out of pocket for a while in between time.

There are also some good interest free credit card deals around - I'm not suggesting simply getting into long term debt though, lol.

I've been fortunate enough to have one particular bass on trial for about a month & have decided I pretty much have to buy it, I'm now selling more or less any of my basses that anyone wants to buy to fund it but I'm pleased I was able to have the trial period first :)[/quote]

+1 to this, especially given the 'emotional' weighting applied to selling an instrument your family clubbed together to buy you

T

I once traded my fave bass (to a shop in Doncaster) to get what I thought was my ultimate bass; an early Dolphin Pro I. Weeks later I was back in the shop with a Warwick Thumb bass and a wedge of cash to get my original bass back! No moral to the story but sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone. :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='920917' date='Aug 10 2010, 07:24 PM']If your dream Bass is about the colour , and you like playing the one you got [ that has been refinished anyway]
Why not get that one refinished in your dream colour - it will be cheaper.

Garry[/quote]
Good point there Garry - I`m actually having that done right now. My black American Precision, for some reason, whenever another bass was thought of, would be the first I`d think of using as a trade-in. But, it`s the one I always play live, my first choice, my go-to bass.

Placed a "swap/wanted" post on here, and BurritoBass remarked why don`t I get a refinish if it`s a good player, rather than swap/p-ex. So took the advice, and on Thurs I will be picking up an newly finished Arctic White Precision - very Sidney Vish!

So yr right, a dream bass, albeit in a different colour may already be in a lot of peoples collections. Extra bit of cash could finish the deal.

I don't think my dream bass exists - I'd probably have to get it made.

Jazz body, 5 string, Ebony fretboard, neck through, 35" scale with narrow string spacing ( like my Hohner B Bass V), one MM pup in the MM position, Ash body with deep chestnut-coloured facing - probably walnut, John East pre, Schaller 3D bridge. Hipshot lightweight tuners. That's about it.

Here's some I like:

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='Stag' post='920794' date='Aug 10 2010, 04:02 PM'][T]rying it would probably be a good idea. ... Cant see it being too dissimilar to my current axe to actually play :-)[/quote]

I'm guessing there are a significant number of members on this site who own multiples of the same series/model, and who would state otherwise. If it is as big an investment as you imply, I'd say you have to try it out before making any decisions about buying, or selling.

[quote name='Stag' post='920018' date='Aug 9 2010, 08:28 PM']OK... my dream bass has turned up for sale at a dealership.[/quote]

The thing about dreams is that, sooner or later, you wake up.

[quote name='Stag' post='920018' date='Aug 9 2010, 08:28 PM']I know ill never ever want another bass after it ...[/quote]

Of course not.

:)

Edited by Earbrass

[i]For me[/i] "The One" doesn't exist.

People on here who know me, know that I trade stuff in and out for fun, I just don't get attached to gear at all.

I think out of all the basses I've moved on, the Kinal or the Overwater came the closest to what I'd call my ideal bass, but I sold them on didn't I? So I acn't believe that there's anything out there that will ever satisfy me 100%.

I'm very happy with the G&Ls at the time of writing, but I know that at some point something will come along to tempt me, and I'll think about trading them out again, because I'm skint, and can't buy a bass for cash at the moment.

If someone were to offer me a 6 string for instance, for both the G&Ls I'd think about it, just because I'd love a decent 6er.

I'd like a Warwick Steamer Stage 1 or 2 before I die, and I'd like a good 6 stringer, but, "The One" just isn't out there at all for me.

have to say a +1 to all the comments about instruments with sentimentality and personal emotional attachments...

both my current basses were presents from my dad and i would never dream of selling them on or trading them, i'd miss em to much...
now if i'd bought one out of my own money i would be more willing to trade or sell for the one, but purchasing my "one" is far off cos its a custom 5 string made by John Shuker... long way away yet...

but if you want my advice i say do what people have said take your current 4001 with you and compare them side by side, i would personally keep the cream 4001 you have because of the sentimental value behind it and then sell something your less emotionally attached to to fund 'the one' or just get the one you have already re-finished...

apologies if that all seems very wordy my grammar is shocking... if you can't make sense then ask for a breif translation :)

[quote name='rOB' post='920860' date='Aug 10 2010, 06:15 PM']Not to be a stick in the mud but this [i]{the sentimental value}[/i] would really bother me.[/quote]
Me too. I would never be able to let a bass go that had been bought for me in similar circumstances. But hey, I'm a big softie :)