Why become a member? ×

How many items do you take to gigs?

silverfoxnik

1 gig bag containing, bass, jack lead, spare strings, rizzla, bottle tops*

1 rack containing power amp and 4 channel mixing desk

1 cab containing 2 twelve inch speakers

1 holdall bag containing a range of extension, jacks, XLR and speakon leads, tuner pedal, fastfret, wire cutters, tools and gubbins

it's a 2 trip setup, cab and bag, rack and bag. i'm happy with it. no longer have a 2nd bass to bring as a spare, but then when i did, i don't think i ever actually bothered to bring it.

Tom

*the last 2 aren't things i need to bring, they're just in my bag, never taken them out. they feel like family now, can't chuck 'em out!

I'm starting to wonder if I'm being unrealistic with my gear for a gig. At most, I have:

1 bass (5 string)
Head
Cab (115 or 210)
Bag of leads, tuner, stand etc.

At least, just a bass, a stand and a DI box.

I've never had a gig which I felt couldn't be done with one bass and altered settings, not counting theatre shows, that's a different ball game (though not much).

I've always tried to have as little gear as possible for a gig, without being short-handed. Does it not become a bind, keeping track of everything and transporting it?

For most gigs I would take 1 bass in huge industrial strength gig bag from [url="http://www.clubbass.ca/"]Club Bass[/url], the best bass shop I ever visted, with all my leads and tuner and bobbins in the rucksack-sized pocket on the side of the bag, and my amplifier- which is a 1x10" hartke kickback. I would often take a stand as well so I didn't risk my bass falling over during everyone else's sets.

For a really significant gig I would carry a spare bass but at most I've only ever needed spare batteries for my active stuff.

The outcome of this was that I could carry all my stuff from the car into the venue in one trip at 95% of gigs. Very handy indeed...

1 bass with case, depending on the bass; an extra battery.
1 amp and spare power lead and speaker cable
1 stand

A bag/case with:
extention lead
instrument cables x 3
tuner + spare battery
cloth
strap
spare strings
machine head winder
mini torch
guitar strings
drumsticks
screwdrivers
gaffer tape
black marker
band CD

i think thats it....

*Edit additions*

Wireless reciever and transmitter, adapter and an extra lead aswell

Edited by WarPig

1x bass in hard case
1x bass in tribal planet gig bag
1x amp in 4U flightcase with Wireless
1x backup amp in gig bag
1x 3x10 cab
small alu case with Me50B and power supplies
tool box with leads, batteries and spares
1x large box with all the bands mic and speaker leads
2x stands 1x mic stand
1x power amp PA

[quote name='stewblack' post='101864' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:46 PM']Oh - I did once take 4 basses to a gig. This was simply because I was in the support band as well! In one band all the songs are played on a 5 string in the support they're on 4 so each set needed one bass and one spare.[/quote]

see, I dont get that, just cause the 5th string is there, you Dont have to use it, well, if it confuses you anyway.

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='101873' date='Dec 9 2007, 10:01 PM']see, I dont get that, just cause the 5th string is there, you Dont have to use it, well, if it confuses you anyway.[/quote]
Well at the time I'd only just learned to play a five. I'd learned that one set on it and yes it took that bit of thought playing a song on an unfamiliar instrument with an extra string. Why would I have taken the risk live just to save carrying a couple more cases ? That would have been lazy, pointless, unfair on me and the rest of the band. I am slowly getting used to switching between the two and no longer learn a new song on just one but play it on both. they are after all utterly different instruments.

2 basses in VERY hard cases. 1 fretted 1 fretless (both fivers)
tuner, pre and power amps in a 6 slot rack.
410 cab
212 cab
pedal board in carry case with all leads I need for the show.
another bag for stands, spare leads, spare strings, spare valve, toolkit, gaff tape, towel etc.

To the original poster, i think it's vital to carry enough to cover every eventuallity. We don't play multi-band gigs that often so borrowing kit isn't usually an optio.

Covers band:

1 bass in hard case
1 GK 200MB combo (may be replaced by rackmount head and 1x10" cab in the future)
1 aluminininium box with leads, wireless gear, and cheat notes for "Music"
1 stool
1 guitar stand

Ceilidh band:

1 electric upright bass in case
1 bass in hard case
1 Crate powerbrick
2 Skylab 150W PA speakers (these and the powerbrick are for foldback)
1 bag of leads
1 top hat
1 straw hat
1 guitar stand

Open mic night:

1 bass in hard case
1 book of chords for things people have played in the past

Oh, and I have sufficient tuners to have one per instrument in the case (well, that's the theory, I need another couple of tuners)

2 x fretted 5-string basses in hard cases - one trip from van to stage.

1 x Peavey TNT150BW combo - one trip from van to stage.

1 x TE BLX80 combo - one trip from van to stage.

1 x custom hard case with DT-10 tuner, ME-50B effects & VXL Bass Attack DI.

1 x Ryobi drill case with spare strings, batteries, tools, Tascam CD-BT, DI & PSU for our keyboard, notebook & pen.

The effects case & spares case are carried together in one trip.

That's 4 trips and it's too much.

I want to cut the 2 combos down to one head (maybe in a 4U 19" rack with a drawer to replace the Ryobi case for spares & tools) and one cab with castors - same footprint, but lighter & easier to move and it would take up less van/trailer space.

That'd cut it down to 3 trips.

Mark

I can't believe how much kit some of you guys take, it must take longer to set up than you are playing for?

I try to keep it simple, so for most gigs:

1 Bass
1 Amp
1 Cab
1 Small Case with leads, strings, tools, FX etc.

2 trips from the car - and I'll leave the cab behind if I can borrow one. My case has everything in it for on the spot repairs, and string changes. As well as random bits of kit like DI box, spare IEC leads, batteries , pen, paper, flyers etc etc.

[quote name='gilmour' post='102706' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:15 PM']...- and I'll leave the cab behind if I can borrow one.[/quote]

You won't be popular if you do that. see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9654"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9654[/url]

[quote name='jacko' post='102707' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:17 PM']You won't be popular if you do that. see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9654"]<a href="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9654" target="_blank">http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9654[/url]</a>[/quote]

rofl

I only do it when I've arranged it an advance, I have no problem with people using my kit (i've even had to lend out a bass at one gig to a 'forgetful' player!) If someone doesn't want to kit share that's fine, it's only for onstage monitoring after all 99% of times your DI'd straight from the bass and the soundman EQs all the basses the same.

I really don't want to be lugging extra kit around with me, and most bands welcome the extra stage space. Most of the bigger gigs I do they provide a backline anyway, usually one of those awfull ampeg beasts (grumble grumble)

Edited by gilmour

As I am mister vand driver and PA sorter outerer... I wont include that dribble.

2 x bass in one double case. (case has a rip in it inside which is a ball ache)
1 x 6 rack with a 2 u rack drawer to put my crap in.
1x15 cab Eden Nemessis filled full ogf heluim. Great buy lets see how long it will last cos a girl can lift these babies
1 2x10 Eden Nemessis also filled full of helium.

2 trips to van

[quote name='gilmour' post='102706' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:15 PM']I can't believe how much kit some of you guys take, it must take longer to set up than you are playing for?

I try to keep it simple, so for most gigs:

1 Bass
1 Amp
1 Cab
1 Small Case with leads, strings, tools, FX etc.

2 trips from the car - and I'll leave the cab behind if I can borrow one. My case has everything in it for on the spot repairs, and string changes. As well as random bits of kit like DI box, spare IEC leads, batteries , pen, paper, flyers etc etc.[/quote]
Dude, I can do mine in 1 trip and it takes me 10 mins to set up the amp and three basses, tops. If I have wireless units, it takes a bit longer to fit them, hook 'em up and test levels. Generally the more stuff I can do at home (like fitting transmitters to belts) the better off I am.

2 basses in cases
Power amp in 2u rack
Preamps/wireless recv'rs/Aphex bass exciter ready-hooked up in 4u rack
2 * cabs
Spare amp
Multi FX
2 stands
2 bags of assorted cables
Smoke machine (coming soon)

Takes about 5 mins to carry in and 5 mins to set up and is the only exercise I get :) The spare amp and 1 of the bags of assorted cables are the only things I'd consider OTT but the bag in particular helps wedge things in the back of the car and stops them sliding about so I don't mind it! And it's occasionally been useful when our usual PA guy hasn't been available and we've had an unprepared numpty instead :huh: