Why become a member? ×

How many items do you take to gigs?

silverfoxnik

3xbasses in Hiscox (fretted, fretless and detuned - sometimes leave the fretless at home)
3U rack with amp
2x12 or 1x10+1x12 depending on venue
Box of crap - leads, tuner, DI, earplugs, batteries, stings, SM58 etc
Bass stand (2 or 3 gang Hercules)
Mic stand
Music stand
Wedge monitor

must cut down

[quote name='bass_ferret' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:13 PM' post='102911'

must cut down
[/quote]
+1

I'm in total admiration of all those here who have pared it right down to a very minimal amount of gear.. It's partly a confidence thing I think; having confidence in your gear and in yourself as a player.. and being able to adapt and work in any situation.

When I used to manage bands for a living, I got so tired of the reptitious complaints about a bad gig, bad PA, bad monitors etc, etc. So I used to point out to them that when The Beatles played Shea Stadium in NYC in the mid to late 60s, they didn't even have monitors, so what were they complaining about!!

Moral of the story is that I must learn my own lessons... :)

I'm also my band's PA guy, so setting up my bass stuff is almost always the last thing to get done. The stress I suffer when time is running short is really bad.

But for the last few gigs we've done, using aux-fed subs has taken a huge amount of stress out of setting up - I no longer worry if the FOH sound will be okay. This has always bothered me more than carrying & setting-up stuff.

And I seem to be lucky to always get bass tone that I and my band like.

On de-tuned basses - I used to have my second bass tuned BDADG for songs in drop-D. But for about a year now, I just retune the bass I'm playing's E to D immediately after the last note of the previous song - usually done by the time the applause is fading. I'm never the one the rest of the band is waiting on.

Mark

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='103066' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:41 AM']Instead of 11 boxes, tonight we're playing a big party gig in central London and we're hiring all the kit in - PA, amps, monitors, soundman - the lot. So I'll just be taking a bass, tuner pedal, leads, a spare pack of strings and, er, that's it.

What a nice change from a car load of junk![/quote]
Sounds good... Have a good one Matt!

Until recently mine was

1 x Wal in Wal semi flight
1 x 6u rack with BOD Pro xt, IEM transmitter & 2 Behringer effects racks
1 x small metal case for the rest of the radio bits (transmitters & receivers) plus leads, batteries, throat lozenges
1 x metal toolbox for screwdrivers, soldering iron, and the floor tuner my guitarist uses (and actually offered to buy off me a couple of weeks back so that I am no longer his tuner roadie :huh: )
2 x small light boxes - because no one wants to play under a 40w bulb, but none of the others are willing to store / transport them (lazy bustids :) )
1 x A frame guitar stand

but after my recent GAS the Wal has been semi retired and the MM SUB5 tends to come out to play together with 1 x Markbass CMD121H

I still seem to be last out of gigs despite that fairly small list, but that is probably because 9/10 times my gear is stuffed at the back so I have to get it in early on set-up and cannot get to it straight away after until keyboards set up in front of it have been moved. That and the fact that none of the rest of the band seem able to write so I have to deal with the venue for cash etc :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='102716' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:32 PM']Dude, I can do mine in 1 trip and it takes me 10 mins to set up the amp and three basses, tops. If I have wireless units, it takes a bit longer to fit them, hook 'em up and test levels. Generally the more stuff I can do at home (like fitting transmitters to belts) the better off I am.[/quote]

You're so right, it is about doing stuff at home, and preping in advance, I guess it's alos about familiarity with your equipment and how often you gig, some of us are playing all the time, probably others a lot less often.

Someone else mentioned confidence in your kit etc.. I think that plays a massive role, I've been giging the same set up for 7 or 8 years now (although I have just got a new head after my Trace started cutting out on me form time to time), so I know what I need, and have a few odds and sods for on the spot repairs just in case.

Well my bass rig is very similar to most you guys:

2 x Bass Flight Cases
1 x 4 X 10 Cab
1 x Amp Head
1 x Pedal Board
1 x Cable / Tool Bag
1 x Stand Bag

Its all heavy particularly at gigs on upper floors. I recently split my 4x10 combo to save my back but wouldnt even consider a smaller cab as the 4 loaded sounds way too good for compromise.

The price of Rock n Roll I guess

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='104717' date='Dec 15 2007, 06:12 PM']Well my bass rig is very similar to most you guys:

2 x Bass Flight Cases
1 x 4 X 10 Cab
1 x Amp Head
1 x Pedal Board
1 x Cable / Tool Bag
1 x Stand Bag

Its all heavy particularly at gigs on upper floors. I recently split my 4x10 combo to save my back but wouldnt even consider a smaller cab as the 4 loaded sounds way too good for compromise.

The price of Rock n Roll I guess[/quote]
Uncannily similar set-up! All bar the third bass I use for drop-tuned numbers.. And I totally agree about the 410; I use a Peavey 410 and find it better than a 115 or 210 but it does weigh quite a bit.. As you say, it's the 'price of Rock n Roll'.