Why become a member? ×

Macca

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='903077' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:25 PM']Recently, most shocked while learning While My Guitar Gently Weeps, to discover where JPJ got the middle of Babe I'm Gonna Leave you from. Seriously, crank the bass on that track, stupidly heavy, and its Macca.[/quote]
Read your post and then listened to While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Brilliant, I'm smiling big time.

Now listening to Happiness is a Warm Gun and still smiling.

I'm sure lots of the White Album, especially McCartney's bass, is a massive influence on later heavy rock.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903097' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:36 PM']Read your post and then listened to While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Brilliant, I'm smiling big time.

Now listening to Happiness is a Warm Gun and still smiling.

I'm sure lots of the White Album, especially McCartney's bass, is a massive influence on later heavy rock.[/quote]

Recently got my beatles albums out again,after a good 15 years of being thoroughly sick of them. Surprising how much I like them, Let It Be has got to be one of the best albums ever, and not just for Billy Prestons Organ (though mostly).
If only Macca had kept his gob shut and just played bass I might enjoy them more. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='903092' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:34 PM']Never liked Phil Collins on drums either.. hate his feel and strike..too slappy..[/quote]

I think Jimmy Page had the same opinion - did he not accuse PC of destroying
Led Zepplin at Live Aid on the State side gig? :)
A lot of these guys from original or their own bands seem to struggle playing in another situation.
Unlike the likes of Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, Marcus Miller, Steve Gadd [ The usual LA/NYC session guys]

As far as Macca is concerned, i always thought they were lyrical and well crafted Basslines,
to well written pop songs at that time.
Although i have never been a fan of his tone, [i liked better in the Wings gig]

Garry

I was harsh on Macca a bit, not that I suppose he will be bothered too much.

In my grumpy middle age I just can't be doing with him or The Beatles though. I feel the same way about ELO and The Eagles. Great songwriters and musicians etc.. but I think I would rather endure a reverse vasectomy and then a vasectomy again before the purple metropolis has subsided than listen to it ever again.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='902848' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:32 AM']memo to self....."dear O.S. don't post on discussions about individual players, you patronising tw@t, it always ends up with handbags at dawn" :)[/quote]
Only if the shoe fits, can't say as I saw you say anything relevant?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='902851' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:35 AM']Well, I don't see it, but Steve can respond if he wants to. Who else? Remember you said: 'Never in my life have I seen [u][b]so many patronising tw@ts all in one thread[/b][/u].' There must be quite a few people.[/quote]
You're obviously capable of reading back, [i]even though you put your own slant on it[/i], I'll let you do the donkey-work.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='902851' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:35 AM']I didn't make the 'automatic assumption that what he did is liked', it is exactly what you said:[/quote]
Yes you did, your words I quoted were [b]all[/b] about [b]liking[/b] what he did, I didn't put the emphasis on [i]my[/i] words you did. IF I had used emphasis I would have put it on the word "if". IF a person dislikes what he hears a person play then he's more likely to do something different to it & therefore evolve the music form. A person who likes what he hears is more likely to emulate, i.e. copy it, not evolve.

If you're incapable of interpretation of discussion without it being spelt out to you in words of single syllables please don't try to twist my words into a meaning to suit your own.

Edited by Big_Stu

As a bass player he's good. Not the greatest I've ever heard but not the worst either. The bassline in LSD is his best work IMO.
Personality wise he's a twat. Nuff said there.
I reckon lots of bassists are recognisable to the non playing public so I'd have to disagree with that statement.

[quote name='Rich' post='903011' date='Jul 23 2010, 11:36 AM']Opinions are like arseholes, in that everybody's got one. When you think yours is the only valid opinion, you start [i]being[/i] an arsehole.[/quote]

That's how I've always tried to relate to anyone else, in my job it's essential. But when someone voices an opinion different to the masses on here all you get is a few :) or (sigh)s and such like. Or general child-like name-calling as to why a person's own personal preference or opinion is flawed.
The same people will then go on & on, often using imported quotes as if it's possible to PROVE to someone why their own personal taste is wrong, rather than just accept a differing opinion, which is usually reserved for Rickresource players.

[quote name='lowdown' post='903117' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:52 PM']I think Jimmy Page had the same opinion - did he not accuse PC of destroying
Led Zepplin at Live Aid on the State side gig? :)
A lot of these guys from original or their own bands seem to struggle playing in another situation.
Unlike the likes of Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, Marcus Miller, Steve Gadd [ The usual LA/NYC session guys]

As far as Macca is concerned, i always thought they were lyrical and well crafted Basslines,
to well written pop songs at that time.
...............]

Garry[/quote]

Well, he had a far better reference, in John Bonham, I'd say.

Although I was never a fan of the big softy bass drum sound he kind of cultured. In his genre, quite a player ahead of his time, for me.
I always liked Ian Paice tho, as I thought he sounded tighter.

But, we can go round and round on our little preferences etc etc ..

For example, I can't go for Verdine White after seeing his later work on video, he plays truly awful, to such a point, that I can hardly believe he played some of those classic parts in the first place. Maybe the studio albums took years to get those parts down but I have seem some stuff with hideous playing.

I guess that is why some of those guys can never get out of their band set-up... it just doesn't work.

Dont really like the Beatles.

Dont really like Mcartney's bass playing style, and cant stand his tone.

Of the few Beatles songs I can bear to listen to, Mcartney didnt write them.

Oh, and you can try as you like, but you cannot seperate the man from his work, and he is still a right *&^% IMO. I am sure it wont make any odds on his day if he discovers this post either :)

Just my opinion mind you. Of course there is absolutely no accounting for taste and if you like him, his work, his bass playing and it does it for you then thats absolutely fine, good luck to you I say :rolleyes:

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='903265' date='Jul 23 2010, 02:58 PM']If you're incapable of interpretation of discussion without it being spelt out to you in words of single syllables please don't try to twist my words into a meaning to suit your own.[/quote]
OK, I won't quote you or interpret you again.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='902732' date='Jul 23 2010, 02:18 AM']I never understood John Entwhistle. I sounded fairly good when all I had to spend on an amp was a hundred quid. Meanwhile he had practically unlimited funds and a rig half the size of Wembley and still routinely sounded like sh*t.

But he was good, right?

He also played sh*t-looking basses, so he could look like sh*t while he sounded like sh*t.

I know he's dead and all but seriously he's one of the shittest-sounding and shittest-looking bassists ever. Meanwhile McCartney managed to sound good on every record I've ever heard him on, and he wrote all the Beatles' best songs. Making him f***ing loads better than John Entwhistle at basically everything except being a pretentious pointy-guitared twat.[/quote]

Allow me to counter with - :) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: btw there is no 'h' in Entwistle, if you're going to drub someone at least spell their name right!
I don't understand your opinion but you're entitled to it and while it is absolutely OK to not like his style and tone it is not cool to call someone (living or dead) , how did you delicately put it, a 'pretentious twat' for absolutely no reason at all. John was neither for your information.

If you don't think Entwistle sounded good on 'Who's Next'; 'Quadrophenia' and 'The Who by Numbers' to name but three - then I don't know what to say! McCartney's bass playing was pretty uninteresting before 'Revolver', 'Rain' etc; John started off with 'My Generation' and kept moving forward - helping to advance string and amplification/effects technology along the way.
To say he sounded 'sh*t' is, IMO, slightly misinformed as is 'sh*t looking'. His Alembic's, Gibson's, Fenderbirds, Status' are, IMO, some of the greatest looking instruments ever picked up; but what has image to do with talent anyways? If it means that much to you, take a look at your Avatar (just a joke!!!)

As for his live tone from '99 to '02, I know it isn't to everyones taste but he was going deaf at a tremendous rate and that tone helped him hear what he was doing. He wanted to keep playing by whatever means possible and that was it.

Can't argue with you on the songwriting front though!

Re: Macca - he is a solid, intelligent bass player who does what the song requires in a melodic and often interesting way and he wrote some of the greatest songs ever in many peoples opinions. The man has melody seeping out of his pores and is a legend.
Someone mentioned John would agree that Macca was a good bassist - he did but he was also annoyed that Paul kept winning 'Best Bass Player' in all the polls way back when!

[quote name='garethox' post='903418' date='Jul 23 2010, 05:27 PM']Allow me to counter with - :) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: btw there is no 'h' in Entwistle, if you're going to drub someone at least spell their name right!
I don't understand your opinion but you're entitled to it and while it is absolutely OK to not like his style and tone it is not cool to call someone (living or dead) , how did you delicately put it, a 'pretentious twat' for absolutely no reason at all. John was neither for your information.

If you don't think Entwistle sounded good on 'Who's Next'; 'Quadrophenia' and 'The Who by Numbers' to name but three - then I don't know what to say! McCartney's bass playing was pretty uninteresting before 'Revolver', 'Rain' etc; John started off with 'My Generation' and kept moving forward - helping to advance string and amplification/effects technology along the way.
To say he sounded 'sh*t' is, IMO, slightly misinformed as is 'sh*t looking'. His Alembic's, Gibson's, Fenderbirds, Status' are, IMO, some of the greatest looking instruments ever picked up; but what has image to do with talent anyways? If it means that much to you, take a look at your Avatar (just a joke!!!)

As for his live tone from '99 to '02, I know it isn't to everyones taste but he was going deaf at a tremendous rate and that tone helped him hear what he was doing. He wanted to keep playing by whatever means possible and that was it.

Can't argue with you on the songwriting front though!

Re: Macca - he is a solid, intelligent bass player who does what the song requires in a melodic and often interesting way and he wrote some of the greatest songs ever in many peoples opinions. The man has melody seeping out of his pores and is a legend.
Someone mentioned John would agree that Macca was a good bassist - he did but he was also annoyed that Paul kept winning 'Best Bass Player' in all the polls way back when![/quote]

Garethox, I'd probably ignore what thisnameistaken has to say, he's the sort of person that likes to throw rocks at things and see what happens on impact. For what it's worth though, Entwhistle and McCartney were both great players, not worth comparing in the least as they are most massively different.

Can't say I am a fan of the Ox either, but I do like the way that the car crash that is the individuals playing all comes together and makes sense at the last.
If you cover 'Fooled again'..you can widdle all over the place, and it will make sense and you only find that out when you try and play it.
Before hand, I was dreading having to bother with it..great song, shame about the bassline etc etc .

I preferred his sound in the earlier days....as much as I ever took notice of him ...but his stints with Alembic and the like didn't really work, IMV, for a rock sound. He has the same problem as McCvie with his efforts... too wimpy a sound for their type of bass/drums section.
IMHO.

Give these guys a freakin P-Bass

I find it really interesting, yet confusing, the number of BCers on this thread;
who comment on Paul Macartneys, "Personality" so Knowledgably,This,having (apparentley) Never met,spoke or consorted with him, on any percivable level what so ever !?

(well they listened to some 40'yr old records...) and some 30/20/10/4 yr' olds too!!

No one (here) seems have much of a clue about him,
other than some vague media gleaned/fed perception of what the (sic) the, "aged rocker" is all about.. Ballorcks!!
well, I haven't met him either,but ...
but the mere the fact he's been about for so long and been a success,
seems to annoy some people... good god!!
... it can only be..
Jealousy.

I wonder If, any thing by say, eerr, I dont know..."nickelback"(christ!)," The killers" or even "Green Day"will make the school choir of 2090.
I'm willing to bet (money) sommat by Macca does.
&
with his Bass lines intact. :)
who'll will collect though?!

EDIT : spelling/ grammar not intent

Edited by witterth

[quote name='SteveK' post='903626' date='Jul 23 2010, 10:19 PM']Just occasionally, visiting BC is a rather depressing experience![/quote]
I wouldn't go to off topic then. :) And your right unfortunately, sometimes it seems to have as my mum would say 'a funny five minutes' (although I'm sure lots of other people say that as well, I'm not saying she coined or anything).

[quote name='garethox' post='903418' date='Jul 23 2010, 05:27 PM']If you don't think Entwistle sounded good on 'Who's Next'; 'Quadrophenia' and 'The Who by Numbers' to name but three - then I don't know what to say! McCartney's bass playing was pretty uninteresting before 'Revolver', 'Rain' etc; John started off with 'My Generation' and kept moving forward - helping to advance string and amplification/effects technology along the way.[/quote]

Actually his fuzzed-up flatwound sound on My Generation was the only time he ever sounded good. He sounded worse the more technology he threw at it.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='903451' date='Jul 23 2010, 05:19 PM']Garethox, I'd probably ignore what thisnameistaken has to say, he's the sort of person that likes to throw rocks at things and see what happens on impact. For what it's worth though, Entwhistle and McCartney were both great players, not worth comparing in the least as they are most massively different.[/quote]

Not particularly helpful there captain, if you don't like what someone says or the way they conduct themselves just ignore them. That kind of comment helps nobody, and can unfortunately contribute to threads getting silly and being closed.

I like Come Together and Taxman, they've got cool bass lines, I'm not a big beatles fan really, so I don't know much else. I don't like The Who much to be honest, and I don't like his daft pointy basses either.

It was mentioned here that people don't even know that McCartney is a bass-player : people don't know àny bass-players (hardly know the instrument) so.. ?
I started playing bass because of McCartney.. started with listening to Beatles -Wings-tracks, moved over to Pastorius, Palladino, etc..
After all that I have learned I remain a fan of his songs ànd his tasteful bass-playing which I find mindblowing.
He has a unique sound on his bass, showed the power of bass-lines and how some one can not like the bass-line of "With a little help" is a mystery to me.
It stands the test of time and my musical evolution wouldn't be the same without him. McCartney made my life "better".
Whenever I was/am down and one of his songs comes on the radio, I feel better (just hearing the intro of for instance "Band on the run" and the clouds disappear). I feel very fortunate to have his music as the soundtrack of my life, it is a blessing.
I've read books about him, listened to all his music and he still is an enigma to me.. I've never met him so I haven't got a clue who he really is.
Those people who say that after the Beatles his Wings-stuff was less inspired. If some Wings-tracks had been on Beatles-albums no one would have known and they would be called Beatles-classics. People sometimes refuse to listen with their ears and think in boxes. I think for instance "Hi Hi Hi" could have been one of those Beatles classics without any doubt..
I'm enjoying his music still... The man is great !

[quote name='wombatboter' post='903892' date='Jul 24 2010, 11:59 AM']I think for instance "Hi Hi Hi" could have been one of those Beatles classics without any doubt..[/quote]
+1 and, for example:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Jet
Band on the Run
Live and Let Die
Silly Love Songs
Coming Up
C Moon

(and many more) could easily have been great Beatles songs.