Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds? Why no Basschat Love?

Supertim

Hi Guys

I am a lover of the Gibson Thunderbird in all its guises and it has occurred to me glancing these hallowed pages that there is not a lot of chat regarding these custodians of low end rumble.

Have I just missed the discussions regarding them or are they an unfavoured bass of choice here? I currently have a couple, a Blackbird (which is the original Nikki Sixx custom model - see my pics in the live thread) and a standard mark IV.

So is the T bird an unwanted member of the bass family in these parts? I know they do have a few obvious flaws however they are, in my opinion, one of the greatest looking and playing basses around. sh*t I even got the T Bird logo tattooed on my arm at one stage (since covered up when Gibson knocked my band back for a sponsorship/endorsement deal)

Edited by Supertim

There's not too many fans on BC, its true. I owned one recently but sold it as I couldn't cope with the skinny neck (I play P basses generally). BC dudes such as Shaggy, Marky L and Norris are T'bird fans though and I am sure they will chip in!

I find that tonally they really lack definition (especially when partnered with ashdowns - why would you do that??). I've played a couple and the necks are too skinny too. Don't think I'll ever be a fan. I do like their shape though

Well I think that the original Thunderbirds look fantastic!

However I'm not convinced that the various "updates" that Gibson have made or the versions by Epiphone do anything to enhance the reputation of this bass. Until I can afford a Mike Lull T-Bass V, I'm going to stick with my Overwater Original.

the Thunderbird is the Marmite of bass, i love them (hate Marmite).
I've got an Epi, it's one of the most playable basses I've had, tried a Gibson on sunday, quite different and more strident tones, loved it too.
There is a facebook group devoted to the Thunderbird.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Its a fact and Im not even going to add an"IMHO" on this one, just a fact that the T-bird and Stingray are the coolest looking basses,There I have said it! There may be prettier ones and fancy ones but for legs apart, head down plectrum chugging its one or the other,Again fact....(awaiting p-bass fans response, lol). :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Clarky' post='893738' date='Jul 13 2010, 02:10 PM']There's not too many fans on BC, its true. I owned one recently but sold it as I couldn't cope with the skinny neck (I play P basses generally). BC dudes such as Shaggy, Marky L and Norris are T'bird fans though and I am sure they will chip in![/quote]

(Great avatar Clarky! :rolleyes: )

Yup, these are even more marmite basses than Ricks. Personally they’re the most comfortable playing bass there is for my style (an unintentionally Entwhistle-eque right hand technique and plenty of dusty-end fingering on that nicely slim neck); my ’65 ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76091&st=60"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76091&st=60[/url] ) only really does one tone - but it’s [i]exactly[/i] the tone I want. Zero neck dive with the well-known strap-button mod, and nice and light.

If it looked like Andrew Lloyd-Webber nailed to a plank I’d still play one, but the fact that it’s the most beautiful bass ever created is just a bonus. :)

I personally love T Birds,i have an old beaten to death Epi that i used to use in my old hardcore punk band,it has terrible neck dive and the three point bridge is bobbins but i still love it!
I used to beat the drum kit (and drummer) up with it and even though it chipped a fair bit,she never snapped,amazing really!

I now use an Epi Pro 5string which is a much nicer bass all round,still a bit headstock heavy but not nearly as bad as the other one,the bridge is great too,makes a terrifying growl that makes me grin from ear to ear everytime i strap her on!

I fancy a Gibson but just cant justify the price for,like some have stated, a very one dimentional instrument...its built to rock and thats that!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='893901' date='Jul 13 2010, 04:40 PM']I have a plan to shoehorn a Precision neck onto an Epiphone body one day for a cheapo Entwistle style Fenderbird.[/quote]

Damn! So I wasn't the first person to think of that??? :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='893901' date='Jul 13 2010, 04:40 PM']I love the look of them. I'm put off by the neck fro the same reasons as Clarky.
I have a plan to shoehorn a Precision neck onto an Epiphone body one day for a cheapo Entwistle style Fenderbird.[/quote]
Surely part of the attraction is that it doesn't have the crapy Fender style neck?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='893983' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:48 PM']That would be an Explorer then...... :)[/quote]

Good point. I dont like explorers though, so not that far. Maybe it's just the bulge where the top horn should be, I think it could do with being smaller.