Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds? Why no Basschat Love?

Supertim

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='1242033' date='May 23 2011, 06:57 PM']Moving along, neck-dive. Yes, it's slightly neck heavy (yawn)...the added ounces from the new bridge perhaps subliminally go some way to resolving the issue, but to be honest I only played the bass on the strap once before I swapped over the bridge, so don't feel qualified to argue one way or another. To be honest, I'm a little tired of the whole neck-dive argument; sure if you're going to assume a JC pose every time you play it, then yes, the bass will rotate head first towards the ground, but very slowly. Jeesh. Get over it, it's not life threatening. Buy yourself a wide strap. Insofar as the neck goes, it's super thin and very fast.[/quote]

Ha. This reminds me of when I was buying my bird I asked the guy if the neck dive was really a big problem, It went like this.

Me: is the neck dive really bad? ive read every where that its a real problem.
Guy: Oh do you play without your hands then?
Me: No
Guy: :)
Me: :)

He has a great point even though he made me look like a right plum

Never liked them. Ive played a good few and even once borrowed one for a gig. The neck dive made it incredibly tiring to play for a long time as it put a lot of pressure/weight on my left hand. Secondly and the main point they all sounded like balls. Just thud thud thud. No definition what-so-ever.
Fair play to you if you can play them and make them sound good.

Now then. Following on from my original post, hello Wayne, it's good to be back in a limited capacity at least. I should like to offer up for your deliberation a photo of my [i]other [/i]Thunderbird a pant wettingly stunning Hamer FBIV, as follows:

...I landed this about three weeks after the Gibson arrived. It's mega-mega-rare, maybe less than 20 worldwide and I scored it for a ridiculously low price (and have been offered an equally stupidly high price from a Hamer collector in the US for it). Other than it looks similar, the Gibson and Hamer just don't compare. The Hamer is very well balanced, [i]zero [/i]neckdive and man, the sound is epic in a different way and the sustain just rings. The neck is similar to my old Precision (whereas the Gibson neck is thinner than my sadly departed Geddy Jazz). It's very heavy.

Amazingly, the magic also works with this one as well, transforming me from a desk-bound blob of an office-worker into 50% of the most lithe rhythm section east of Reading.

Much love
Paul
x

Well, I had the pleasure of playing a brand spanking new Thunderbird 2 days ago. This was the scenario.. I went to Wembley Guitars(erm, in Wembley), and tried out most of the basses they have in there, thru an Orange 500wt Bass Terror and an Orange SP410. Starting with 2 Fret kings, moving to Squire, Epiphone, then Fender and Music Man. There was only one guitar left in the challenge before I took the TB off the hook, and that was the 60th Anniversary Precision. What I was wanting to do was set everything up so the TB would ultimately fail against my best choice, so I could go away saying I gave her a go, but she could never match against a Precision.

Off the hook she came....

and I loved her

A deep, rich, warm tone, for a very light weight guitar. The neck was a joy, smooth, dead straight and very slim. I play a '62 P, and my floor boards are skinnier. Neck dive? I was playing with a synthetic strap, whilst wearing my finest poly-cotton work polo top, all super slippy slidey, and it was fine. If I wanted the head to fall it did, if I didnt it didnt. I think this TB neck dive issue needs to be finally put to bed. Although it is alive and kicking in the Fret Kings (Non reverse) and the Epi bolt on.. Horrendous!

An assistant and I went head to head with the TB and 60th P, swapping both guitars thru Orange and Mark Bass, and the truth is that they are both fantastic. The P is bright and at the front, where as the TB is a slow burner but with a real depth of character. The P is like Church Bells ringing, whereas the TB is a Grand Piano. It felt great in my hands, and in my opinion looks great. But, I love Harley's, and don't get Jap sports bikes, but many people do, and each to their own. I think the TB is a great piece of Art Deco design.

Yes, I do have some criticisms...

The bridge pup alone sounds bobbins. The neck had to be dialled in.
The covers on the pup's are plasticky looking, and a high end bass deserves better.
The bridge is on 3 stilts sitting above the body, how can the bridge be resonating thru the body? As Paul said, unleash the tone with a Hipshot, and I can believe how.

I was in there for a good few hours, all whist skiving off work, and fair play to the staff, they let me get on with it, and there was no pressure or hassle.

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='billyapple' post='1247719' date='May 27 2011, 11:22 PM']Yes, I do have some criticisms...

The bridge pup alone sounds bobbins. The neck had to be dialled in.
The covers on the pup's are plasticky looking, and a high end bass deserves better.
The bridge is on 3 stilts sitting above the body, how can the bridge be resonating thru the body? As Paul said, unleash the tone with a Hipshot and I can believe how.[/quote]

I've not really noticed too much of a disparity with the pickups; I always play with everything to the max and (if necessary) will adjust the pickup heights rather than bother with the volume/tone controls in a live context. I'm soooo old school. If a song calls for a different tone, I'll play closer to the bridge or up by the neck, if there's a quieter passage, I'll play softer..

I'd concur that the pickups look a tad carp, but then they're almost identical to the generic design of the EMG, Bartolinis derivatives that are on Spectors and other high end guitars (my Bongo is the only bass I have that show any flair in the exterior design of the pickups). If the hardware is all black, then they kind of blend in; what's important is how they make the guitar sound, eh?

Again, two thumbs up for the Hipshot. I'll say it again...if you're considering a Thunderbird, do yourself a favour and get one of these on order a week before you visit the dealer and install it as soon as you get home. It's a great £60 upgrade.

Finally, in closing, I've played a plethora of basses in the past, Fenders, Gibsons, Musicman, Lakland, Warwick; lots of others and beyond doubt, the Thunderbird has been the most fun of the lot. I would class myself as decent enough and a no-frills type of player (I always wanted to be a sound engineer rather than treading the boards, but that's another story), but the Thunderbird [i]elevates [/i]you somehow. I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on why...it just makes you [i]feel [/i]like a better player, so much more so than if I was playing a Jazz or a Precision. Like I said previously, it's like magic.

Best
Paul

Shameless plug, my pro-IV is up for sale to fund purchase of a pro-V
Here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139193"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139193[/url]

Thought I'd put it here as some of you may appreciate or want it.
If you have a normal Epi thunderbird I can not recommending upgrading to a pro enough. So much more for your money, and as especially at that asking price!

I've been fortunate to have owned 3 of these beauties over the years. As I
Got older the strap got shorter as they are defo long strap, foot on monitor pose machines.
I decided to go a more traditional route.

I miss not having one. Much love for Thunderbirds here

Edited by CPBassman

I had one it was okish low down with a bit of EQ twiddling, but past the 12th fret it was awful, the neckdive was killer especially for such a thick neck, and it gave everyone the impression I played a lot of metal (seeing as I had long hair at the time).

I kind of miss it in a way because it was my first semi decent bass and the deal I sold it in ended up me being out of pocket by about £50 (never give finance to friends).
But I wouldn't buy another.

Edited by Ross

I love mine . . . . a real "looker" . . and it sounds every bit as good as it looks.

most of all I love the neck shape and profile . . . . I guess they only really appeal to the Jazz Bass fraternaty . . . . the neck probably wouldn't be first choice for a precision player ?

Edited by Nostromo

The usual mod I've seen for neck dive is to the strap button where the neckplate would be.

Of course, doing that to your bird may be extreme, plus the button will catch on various things like that.

Or something like that, if you have a bolt on.

I quite like the Thunderbirds for looks and sound.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='CPBassman' post='1261781' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:32 PM']Cashback!![/quote]

+1 for the reference.

How much did that set you back? And congratulations, I bet you it's just lovely.

My pro-v arrived today, and despite a bit of volume imbalance due to being strung with a mix of strings, it plays absolutely beautifully.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1261792' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:38 PM']How much did that set you back? And congratulations, I bet you it's just lovely[/quote]

I paid £???k cash money, and she's a beaut. The inspection card says she was born on the 9th Feb, so she is an Aquaruian like me. The build quality is top notch and the finish is spot on. As for you saying not to buy new, at the end of the day I was looking at a difference of £100 to £150, plus the grief of going to see them. IMHO it's been worth the extra, for there are many like it, but this one is mine :)

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='CPBassman' post='1262056' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:51 PM']Alan Partridge reference[/quote]

I know, hence my +1 for the reference :)

And in relation to the not buying new thing, I will gladly eat my words. I'd have thought a new one would set you back a whole lot more, when the difference is that little, it's almost certainly worth it new.

Now, if you're talking Warwick's where a new one will be comfortably 3 or 4 times the price of a S/H one, DO NOT buy new. :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1262121' date='Jun 8 2011, 11:42 PM']And in relation to the not buying new thing, I will gladly eat my words. I'd have thought a new one would set you back a whole lot more, when the difference is that little, it's almost certainly worth it new.[/quote]

I think your logic is sound, I just got a good deal because I took the cash with me, and as we were haggling, I put the readies on the counter, and shut my mouth :)

here's the epiphone thunderbird pro that i bought from dc2009 a week or two back.

beautiful bass, and a really really nice tone as well. very deep and rounded.

neckdive ? some...but i moved the front strip pin to the back of the neck and put my strap over the top of the back horn and it's fine.

it's been a real revelation - i wish i'd only bought one sooner !