Why become a member? ×

Your First Bass

stingrayfan

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='270065' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:30 AM']Hofner Artist. It felt "right" when I tried it out in the shop, (I was only 13!) and it served me as my gigging Bass until I bought my first Precision 5 years later. Beware! Black and white '60's photography alert! :)

[attachment=12655:My_Pictu...date_070.jpg][/quote]

Looks like you are hanging out in an office while the accountants behind you get on with their work.

It was 1969 (I was 15 - there, that dates me!!) and a friend loaned me a red 'Top Twenty' when I switched from guitar to bass. I think he actually bought it in Woolworths. Not long after, at one of my first gigs, the bassist in the band we were supporting said I could use his Fender Mustang bass. Wow, what a difference. That lead to my own first 'real' bass purchase - a Hayman 4040. Wish I still had it! (And the rest...!)

If I had all the money I'd spent on bass guitars - I'd spend it on bass guitars!! :) (apologies to Viv Stanshall)

All £22 19s 6d's worth of my Framus Star bass, sporting a set of Burns black plastic coated strings. This was a great bass to learn on but not very well made. You can see the machine heads have already been replaced. The rest of the hardware and electrics fell apart in the course of the next 2 years!

The first bass I played was a Fender Musicmaster with tapewound strings. The thrill of playing ANYTHING amplified was pretty amazing at the time! Probably not the worst thing to ave a go on though.
First bass owned was a Melody Ripper (or was it a Grabber??) copy, the one with the sliding pickup anyhow. In "natural" finish that looked like a cheap pine dining table from Ikea. Sounded and played ok too for £75 s/h in '78.
Then a Guild B301F (fretless). What a dud! I wanted a Jaco sound and all it did was a retro thud! Moved the pickup to nearer the bridge which helped a bit, but the whole thing was one big dead spot :)

Oops, rambling here!

Vox Standard (ok)
Shergold 6string fretless (medium scale)
Kramer 450b
All sold and not really missed

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='270238' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:30 PM']Looks like you are hanging out in an office while the accountants behind you get on with their work.[/quote]
Oh, yes. The 'good old days' of Resident Bands in Working Mens Clubs. Everybody sat down! :) :huh:

Played: Tony Buch's (guitar teacher) Fender Jazz.

First one owned was a Westone Thunder 1A (from Eastcote Music in Margate).

Traded in for an Aria Pro II, whech then was traded for an Aria MAB5, Which was sold to fund a Carvin.

Them's the days!

first bass i played was a epiphone G400 extreme in A+A music, you know, the SG shape with a bite out of the base and a tread scratchplate 'cos i wanted to be that cool :)

owned; a starsun BC rich warlock copy, again; that cool. still got it for a party peice and because i never got round to getting rid.

a no-name white/maple P Bass copy for me.
I painted it black, then the pickguard was painted black (I didnt know you could buy them) then it went white, then I added a J pickup but with both pickups going though the one volume because I didnt know any better. I honestly dont know what happened to it.

Then I bought a red shop-damaged Aria Magna 5 string which got an EMG treble/bass preamp which I sold on Ebay for £100.

I now have a Vintage Stringray copy and hanker after a 70style jazz.

My first was one I still own - a defretted Aria Pro 2 ZZB - mental Explorer thing that should never been defretted in a million years (previous owner clearly wasnt bother that the sound certainly didnt fit the look of it...) And ive still got it...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10124&view=findpost&p=107413"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=107413[/url]

for pic lol

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='270065' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:30 AM']Hofner Artist. It felt "right" when I tried it out in the shop, (I was only 13!) and it served me as my gigging Bass until I bought my first Precision 5 years later. Beware! Black and white '60's photography alert! :)

[attachment=12655:My_Pictu...date_070.jpg][/quote]

Second hand Hofner Artist which I wish I still had. It looked like this: