Why become a member? ×

Your First Bass

stingrayfan

My first was a late 80s or early 90sBC Rich- sort of-
I borrowed it from a friend for about a year...
Dont really remember the model and I dont think it was American and wasnt the nicest player.
it Looked like Duffs from Guns and Roses in cream with I think three pick ups... I always remember a few old metallers kept on saying it should be black!

My first bass was a westone thunder 1 (in maple), which i used in my school band (before the break-up!!).

i bought it from my mothers catalogue in 1981 for @ £60.00,and paid it back at @ £1.60 per week!! it was a great bass, and wish i still had it. if i ever saw a mint one for sale, i'd probably have to invest for old-times-sake.

its strange the things you can remember after 27 years!!

Hiya,
Mine was a tobacco sunburst Craftsman P-Bass which I bought from Macari's (where a certain Mr. King used to work a few years previously) in 1985 - cost me £99.

Only had it for about 4 months before I bought my first good quality bass - an Ibanez RB750. I don't own either bass now - the guitar player in my first band bought the Craftsman off me & still has it as far as I know.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

My first bass was a 1960 Olympic White Fender Jazz Bass which I got in 1974 for £20 and sold in 1978 for £25.... a bit of a profit there! (and people think I've been stupid when it comes to buying and selling basses)

Sorry....... did I say a 1960 Olympic White Fender Jazz Bass, I meant a Shaftesbury Rickenbacker copy!

Silly me, :)

Martyn.

Edited by woodenshirt

I'm part of the 'Kay Generation'. Got them from your Mum's Gratton catalogue or Woolies. They were known as Woolworth guitars round my way and a little heavy if you were beating the dust from a large carpet but excellent for a medium sized rug. You couldn't swing the thing well enough for French cricket - it just wasn't aerodynamic enough. Don't recall ever getting a recognisable bass noise out of it, I moved straight to my Aria Pro2 in the early 80's and it's still the one I'd run into the fire to save.
The Kay:

I started in 1986
My first was a 2nd hand Cimar ( a budget Ibanez, I think) P-type bass, with a broken scratchplate around the knobs, which I "fixed" with a piece if cardboard........

The 1st new one was a Marlin Sidewinder in metallic blue, which was a PJ copy, with a plywood body!, so really, my Cimar was better.

The 3rd was much better, a Squier Silver series Jazz, which I still use.

David H

My first bass was a second-hand Japanese Squire Precision. Cream body with a white pickguard. The bass took a lot of abuse as I was learning and playing in my first teenage bands - covered in stickers and electrical tape and stored in a loft for a few years while I was at University. Has recently undergone a bit of a rejuvenation at the hands of Mr Shuker though:

• 5 months later...

[quote name='spinynorman' post='126354' date='Jan 23 2008, 07:36 PM']Korean 1980s neck-thru with no name on it. Like a Vantage Performer, but someone told me it was most likely a Kay.[/quote]

Early Vantage = awesome. My first guitar was a Vantage Witch. It was brilliant! Vastly underrated and they come up on ebay for a bargain now and again.

hmm my first will have been an encore p bass copy. Got it cos it was the cheapest bass I could find in lefty format (bad idea starting in lefty, but there ye go). Though as if to appease the voodoo gods I know for a fact it was hacked to death for a design technology project in high school by one of my mates who i sold it to for £20. Oddly, no regrets though.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='95834' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:07 PM']Played: Awful black Hondo II (with action like Clifton suspension bridge)[/quote]Actually the Clifton has got a very good action. Brunel liked it quite low y'see, with a tiny bit of fret buzz :)

First owned/played: this 1964 Hofner Artist 2. Still got it, hope one day to do a decent restoration job and get it fully playable again:

The first bass I played was a Marlin P copy in pink which my guitar teacher had. Later on that year (1992), I bought my first bass - a 1977 Ibanez PJ in aluminium bacofoil, but through a couple of scratches you could see that it was creamy white. The young chap who had it before had written/impressed the names of his favourite bands on the bacofoil. A couple of years ago, I took off the bacofoil. I kept the M/F on the tuners, though, out of respect. I had to upgrade the pots and output jack. I still have and still play the bass.

[attachment=10684:Pics_060425b_017.jpg]

Isn't there one of these already?!... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22006&st=40&p=225802&#entry225802"]Here[/url]
ah well.... the more the merrier!... :)
copy/paste.... etc...

Yes... the Jedson bass.... a short scale pile of w@nk! .....but it looked kinda cute! :huh:

My first was a Columbus that looked rather like this Jackson CMG Concert bass. (I'm justified using the Jackson pic as I had one of these last year - I couldn't find the Columbus pictured anywhere & no mention of the Columbus guitar company anywhere on the net!)

I had it for about a year or two, then traded it in for a new Hohner Jack headless professional when I was 18.

Does anyone have any pics of this breed of Columbus?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='237215' date='Jul 11 2008, 12:03 PM']Isn't there one of these already?!... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22006&st=40&p=225802&#entry225802"]Here[/url]
ah well.... the more the merrier!... :)
copy/paste.... etc...

Yes... the Jedson bass.... a short scale pile of w@nk! .....but it looked kinda cute! :huh:[/quote]

LOL - I thought I'd seen this topic before!

Still gives me a chance to tell this story again!

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='224714' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:04 AM']Mine was a horrible, horrible short scale Jedson bass - with those horrible slidy on/off switches for the pickups - which invariably got knocked, muting the guitar, when plucking entusiastically!

It was 1973 and it was £19.50 from Contact in Leeds. And I was 15

And I learned 'Sunshine of your love' and the 12 bar progression on the bus back home beause I had a gig that night!

David[/quote]

I'd snap one up if I saw one again too. Where do those old bases go. You go into music shops and there's any amount of old guitars - but where are the bases?

David

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='237348' date='Jul 11 2008, 02:49 PM']LOL - I thought I'd seen this topic before!

Still gives me a chance to tell this story again!

I'd snap one up if I saw one again too. Where do those old bases go. You go into music shops and there's any amount of old guitars - but where are the bases?

David[/quote]

OMG!!!!.... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEDSON-TELECASTER-COPY-VINTAGE-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ310065513949QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310065513949&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]Ebay Jedson bass!![/url] I can't believe he wants £129.99 for it!!!!

"This bass guitar is about thirty years old and hard to find in good condition.Everything is in full working order and the adjustable action is very playable.It would be perfect as a starter bass guitar,or for more professional use in the studio for that 70's large single coil sound....."
[b]'professional!?'.... 'Studio use!!???'... 'the adjustable action is very [i]playable[/i]'????!!!!? [/b] .... WTF!?! LOL! :)

Edited by bottomfeed

My first bass was a '73 black Fender Musicmaster. Sold it to buy a Westone Thunder 1A, as the shortscale Fender was not the best for slap - this was in the eighties :)

Had a lovely tone,quite punchy - wish I had it now.

Edited by nick