Why become a member? ×

Your First Bass

stingrayfan

[quote name='Machines' post='95971' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:02 AM']This Squier Bronco for me, I got it because it was the cheapest bass I could find :).

[/quote]

Rosetti Lucky 7 bass - 21 guineas in 1963 and then in 1965 I went straight to a second hand 1962 Fender Jazz bass, natural sunburst, complete with tweed case and Fender cable. Price ? £100.00.

Those were the days

Rhino.

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='237395' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:40 PM']OMG!!!!.... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEDSON-TELECASTER-COPY-VINTAGE-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ310065513949QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310065513949&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]Ebay Jedson bass!![/url] I can't believe he wants £129.99 for it!!!!

"This bass guitar is about thirty years old and hard to find in good condition.Everything is in full working order and the adjustable action is very playable.It would be perfect as a starter bass guitar,or for more professional use in the studio for that 70's large single coil sound....."
[b]'professional!?'.... 'Studio use!!???'... 'the adjustable action is very [i]playable[/i]'????!!!!? [/b] .... WTF!?! LOL! :)[/quote]

Just offered him a fiver :huh: :huh:

• 1 month later...

First was a Kay Rickenbacker copy bought from Sounds Great in Heald Green not long after it opened. Guitarist persuaded me to put a new bridge on which was slightly too wide so I kept pulling the E and G strings off the edge of the neck.

Second was a Burns Flyte which to my shame I treated despicably. I'm hoping to dig out a picture of this for 'then' and 'now' photos on the show us what you look like thread.

I made such a mess of the Burns that it got swapped for an active Westone (don't know which one, would have been the cheapest available in 1983/4)

Never previously had more than one bass until I signed up here...now I have three and a despairing wife.

The first bass i ever played was my mates kay sg type thing, it was ugly as sin but it got him started and he now owns a very nice 80s precision.
The first bass i ever owned was a peavey milestone 1, i sold it a couple of years ago to pay the leccy bill, i really liked that guitar and regret selling it but thats life i suppose.

i never saw the fascination with fenders or there crap copies...

unfortunately i was the wielder or one for a while as my first purchased bass...
first played was when i was about 9 i played on my aunties one and broke the E string on it...

:)

am now the beloved bearer of a Peavey Millenium BXP and soon to be the holder of a lovely cheap and lovely sounding and looking Stingray Copy...

:huh:

My 1st bass was a Yamaha RBX something or other. It was blue (with woodgrain showing) gold tuners & bridge (with fine tuners on the bridge) pickups in a j formation & fitted case. It was a cracker...... wish I still had it......

Anyone any idea what the model number might be? I just can't remember.

A short scale Framus. Black offset body, white scratchplate, single pick-up. No idea what model. Found it in a pawn shop. Cheap piece of cr*p. Played ok but the bridge kept lifting as the screw holes were all chewed up. Would be an easy fix now but I can't say as I miss it.

Same shape as this bass

Edited by bassman2790

My first bass - a Sunburst "Craftsman" Precision copy with a Maple neck & board which I bought for £99 at Macari's in London in 1985.

Was an ok starter bass but soon went onto a twin pickup Ibanez RB750 which was my first proper gigging bass about 5 months later. As far as I know, a mate of mine who was in my first band still has the P Bass.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

My first bass was a borrowed shortscale Kay EB/SG copy. It came strung with flats and had a single mudbucker - not exactly the best setup for copying the sound of my then hero, Mark King. It sounded absolutely terrible but I thought I was sooooo cool 'playing' Hot Water at 40BPM with the strap set as short as possible and a piece of insulation tape wrapped round my thumb. :)