Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses...is it just me....

fender73

..that loves when a known player has a new, or changes their signature bass? In my L42 days, i loved when MK appeared with a new Jaydee/Status (imagine my excitement when he moved to Fender ..although the bass was a bit pants). Currently GAS'ing for a Yammie Attitude and a Pino Custom Shop. I just love players signature models...any one else like me? (please?)

Graeme

Actually has the opposite effect on me, a signature really puts me off. It just feels really strange to associate myself with someone else like that.

There's a Korean brand called Phil and the logo is pretty close to the way I sign my name, so I could have a signature bass, sort of.

I'd be tempted about Janek Gwizdala's Fodera, as I like E-C tuning, and 34 scale basses are too big and too heavy for me..

Though, actually, it's not a 'proper' signature model..

And, I think, even if I could get my hands on some signature thing, I still wouldn't sound like the creator of it..

Due to my natural cynicism, signature instruments put me off as they are just a marketing tool to get more moeny out of punters who may be a fan or follower of the endorsee. Its certainly been a very lucrative strategy for Fender but I'm sure the extra £££'s you spend on a sig model are pretty much wasted.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='865642' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:10 AM']Actually has the opposite effect on me, a signature really puts me off.[/quote]

This....

[quote name='JTUK' post='865694' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:04 AM']Can't think of anything worse............./snip/
Just don't get it..[/quote]

....and this.....

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='865707' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:45 AM']Due to my natural cynicism, signature instruments put me off as they are just a marketing tool to get more moeny out of punters who may be a fan or follower of the endorsee. Its certainly been a very lucrative strategy for Fender but I'm sure the extra £££'s you spend on a sig model are pretty much wasted.[/quote]

......and this.

[quote name='fender73' post='865713' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:55 AM']so it is just me then...ho hum.[/quote]

Seems that way so far. :)

I find the sig faintly off-putting for reasons that I haven't fully analysed - maybe it's because I'm me, I play like me and I'm not trying to be or play like anybody else. Also, I really don't have heroes of any kind. That said, I don't let it put me off a really nice bass. I've had a Fodera MG sig (absolutely gorgeous but string spacing too wide), and still have a SC. The latter is very lovely - I'd be slightly happier if it didn't have the SC designation, but it doesn't detract from the quality or playability of the instrument. Anybody who saw me play would understand instantly that I have no desire to emulate SC (!)

I think sometimes people will buy a sig bass to be like thier hero. It's almost like you've bought a small part of them, which in some cases you have, because the artist may have been heavily involved in the design of it. I don't have a problem with that at all if that's your bag. I've done it myself with a Marcus Miller Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz, both superb basses regardless of the signatures. I've also had an Ibanez K5 even though I'm not a Fieldy fan at all, but it was a wonderful bass.

I don't have a problem with signature basses at all, as long as you're buying the bass in it's own right, and not because of the signature on the headstock (or fretboard in Stings case).

When Steve Harris started using the blue sparkle P I wanted one, not just because he used it but because it looked so bloody cool. A month or so ago I got one and it's a fantastic bass to play. It's really comfortable, maybe touch on the heavy side after 3 hours or so, and sounds great!!

I don't like the idea of signature basses. I'm my own bassist.

Luckily most signature basses don't appeal to me simply as musical instruments because they are either Fenders or something else equally dull.

However I have been eying up a signature bass recently, simply because it's a bass that I've always wanted and only the only way to get a 5-string version is to buy one of the signature models. I'm still thinking about it...

I don't really care about signature basses for the various reasons above. If they came with a guarantee of quality or similar, then it may be worth it but the Fender models often seem to be a 50% mark-up for a colour change and a different p'up, the cost of which should be offset by not having the standard ones.

Still, there's only 1 signature bass I want to own - Status Graphite Buzzard for JE. I think that appeals because that's properly an evolution of the instrument, not a new colour with a high price.

The Geddy Jazz is the only "signature" instrument I would go anywhere near! Even then, I suspect it would be most at home in the hands of a bass player in a Rush tribute band....

Make your own choice and make it yours!

Having said that, the main reason i got my Status is because Mark King popularised them in the eighties... but I would never have bought an MK signature model. And the new MK model? A stunningly beautiful bass, but his name in LEDs at the 12th fret? That just smacks a bit too much of a Wayne's World "we're not worthy" moment!!

It depends whether the signature model has some sensible & practical modifications to the "standard" model, and if it's a bass or guitar I'd consider using anyway.
For example, I wouldn't buy a Geddy Lee Jazz because I don't like Jazz basses, even though I'm a huge Rush fan.
I've had a few signature model guitars (Gretsch Brian Setzer & Elliot Easton models, Jackson Phil Collen model) which have been great instruments.

[quote name='Rayman' post='865751' date='Jun 13 2010, 10:14 AM']...It's almost like you've bought a small part of them, which in some cases you have, because the artist may have been heavily involved in the design of it. I don't have a problem with that at all if that's your bag. I've done it myself with a Marcus Miller Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz, both superb basses regardless of the signatures. I've also had an Ibanez K5 even though I'm not a Fieldy fan at all, but it was a wonderful bass.

I don't have a problem with signature basses at all, as long as you're buying the bass in it's own right, and not because of the signature on the headstock (or fretboard in Stings case).[/quote]

+1 I think this summarises my attitude towards signature instruments.

And yes, I do own a signature instrument.
IIRC it was quite well liked at a Bassbash.
I respect Sheehans playing ability, but don't really like his tone much at all. I don't play using his technique/s, nor do I play any of his material.
I just sound like a very [i]large[/i] and grunty/ thumpy version of me.
In terms of features;

Japanese made Yamaha (!)
Di Marzio pick-ups (both)
A pukka Hipshot De-tuner, not a licensed one
Gotoh tuners
Novel neck joint which helps upper-fret access and stability - Not that I perform neck bends, but I relish the stability.
Phenolic fretboard - easy to clean, and I've got two other basses with them.
Scalloped frets - no use to me at all, but not a hinderance either.
Sheehan's finger prints as markers - at least they're clear, and guitarists can see what you're doing!
Twin ouputs - nominally of little use unless you can bi-amp, but excellent in the studio or if you want distorted top and clean bottom or vice- versa
Proper "P" bass neck - which doesn't bother me, but for some may be a make-or-break attribute.

This is one of 300 10th Anniversary models. I believe 150 purple and 150 black. Ive played 2 purple and 2 black. This is arguably the best of the lot. Given the current price of the Attitude LTD II on GAK (£1600!) I wish I'd bought the other Purple one when I had the chance!

In not so many words, I'm no Sheehan fanboy, but I own one of his signature basses because it is well worth what I paid for it and it's a good instrument.

It seems like the rest of the world love signature basses. The manufacturers wouldn't make so many of them if they weren’t popular. It’s the standard sales model. I'd be happy to play a signature bass if it had the sound I wanted.

It’s not uncool to have a signature bass, unlike all those fat guys on holiday wearing MU shirts!

I think some of the signature models are very good instruments, but some are just pointless badge engineering in order to boost sales via association. If you love someone's sound, their signature bass will often not give you what you're after, like for instance the Marcus Miller Jazz doesn't really sound like Marcus' sound. What you really need is a nitro finish Jazz with 70's spacing to take you to Marcus-ville. Then you're getting there.

The new MK bass is doubtless a really nice instrument. Having had a couple of KingBasses, if you can get along with the body shape, they're seriously fine instruments & among the best you can get, but as for the ethics or morals of a signature bass, I think it's just fine. Just remember you're you & your playing is what counts at the end of the day. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='865637' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:02 AM']Me neither, although tastefully done there's nothing wrong with them - unlike the Sting sig or the new Mark King that has his name practically in neon lights.[/quote]

+100 on the Sting sig. Like playing a bass with 'I'm a w***er' on it. :rolleyes:

Edit: WTF? I spelt that double-you, [i]four[/i], en, kay, ee, arr. What's the problem??
God, what is the world coming to when you can't imply that Sting is a monkey spanker, in public?
:)

Edited by discreet

I have the jack cassady signature bass, it does put me off a bit but the intrument itself is excellent, so I can handle the "jack cassady" signature on the headstock.

At the end of the day what ever it says on the headstock if it sounds great and play great then that's all there is to it.

And remember, apparantly "tone" is in the fingers.

One high-profile player has had a pretty chequered history when it comes to signature basses;

Flea.

On paper, the attachment of his name to an instrument ought to be a worthwhile venture for both him and the manufacturer, yet EBMM wouldn't make him one, in spite of the fact that they did for Steve Lukather and Albert Lee (and I can't remember if they did a Van Halen)
I know he didn't exclusively use Rays, but they did have a fairly close association.
Cue his defedtion to Modulus, who produced the fine (if single-minded) Flea Bass.
Then he inexplicably adopted a ('63?) Jazz, and finally sets up his own line of basses, which seem to be of variable quality, dubious taste and somewhat expensive.

And another thing...
With specific regard to Fender, what determines where a signature instrument is made? To whit;

Mike Dirnt : MIM
Marcus Miller / Geddy Lee : MIJ (or CIJ)
Roscoe Beck : MIA (IIRC)

I don't know where their other artist signatures are made, but I can't see any logic! And the same goes for Lakland. Why are some Signatures Tribute series and some not?