Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses...is it just me....

fender73

Reminds me about once looking at a Lakland Bob Glaub bass in the Bass Centre in London. I commented to the sales guy that it was unusual for a sig model not to have a signature on it. He looked at the headstock closely and said (and he was being serious) 'Oh, that the signature there' pointing to the Chicago skyline symbol that they have on all Lakland Skyline basses.

I think sig basses might ok if they are good basses and have had a substantial design input from the signatory, e.g the Fender Roscoe Beck, Ibanez Gary Willis, and I'm sure there are a few more examples.
However, just spending a chunk of cash on a sig P-bass which is basically just a P bass seems a bit odd. I've nothing against P basses though, I'm just using it as an example of a well established design that probably isn't augmented in any way by the involvement of some name bass player.

i really dont like signature instruments...its just an advertisement ploy..."Play this bass and feel like your Marcus Miller"...Why on earth would you want to sound like someone else...I cant understand it when people say "how do i get this guys tone"...find your own tone!!!..sorry but i find it pathetic when someone wants to BE LIKE, someone..

although erm,... i was tempted by a MM recently...didnt like the thought of it though

Edited by bubinga5

I agree with OTPJ, some sigs are damn fine basses. Others are totally pointless. Fender and Warwick really take the piss WRT sig models. The Urge is a fine bass but most of the others are just modded stock basses.
IMO, go get a custom built by Chris Larkin and have everyone wanting your sig.

To be honest, If I had the time / skill I'd make a "me" signature, starting with a Leo Fenderesque "Breadboard" body with a neck, bridge and strings, nailing various pick-ups into various positions until I found the right combination and then start on the eq systems, then body shape/woods etc.

I think some of you are being a little harsh on signature models. Whilst some are certainly very cynical ploys to capture a market via emulation, there are a great many which are finely balanced instruments - and there's nothing wrong with manufacturers engaging pro players in the design process. I just think it's a little thin to apply the whitewash of "signature editions are just for those seeking someone else's sound", when buying decisions take all forms.

No complaints about my Darryl Jones, in any case. I certainly didn't want his sound, as I don't much play his music - but I'm sure it works for both of us :)

the fact that there great instruments is not the issue for me...im sure there great...its the fact that your playing an instrument that hanckers after someone elses tone, look, vibe...ok im prob being harsh...and cynical :)

Edited by bubinga5

I've got a 6 string Yamaha signature bass. The reason I bought it was becasuse its a really good 6 string for the money plain and simple. He was approached by yamaha to help design a flagship bass for the rest of the RBX series to be designed upon. It hasn't got his name on it as he wanted to produce a bass that is the same bass an average Jo could purchase with out having to be a Dreamtheater fan. These kind of sig basses I like. I'm not into Mark Hoppus basses or Pete Wentz basses, they just seem like they are there to make money.

Well, technically I have no less than four sig basses - All bought for very different reasons:

Sadowsky Will Lee - because I really like the idea of a very narrow nut width & I can see that the mid boost switch would be very useful live. I think WL is a fine player but I wouldn't buy a bass just because it had his name on it.

Alleva Coppolo Willie Weeks - quite a departure for Jimmy Coppolo to build a P bass with a pair of J pickups and his full active J circuitry. This was very appealing as I liked the idea of a P body but prefer two pickups. However I have to own up that part of the appeal of this one was because it actually belonged to WW himself and went round the world on a Clapton tour.

Performance Louis Johnson Dragon - again I'm an admirer of Lj's work but not enough to buy a bass just because he helped in the design. Big attraction of this was that it's hand made by a great luthier team and this particular one is actually not a 'standard' LJ signature because it has an additional J pickup in the neck position instead of LJ's 'stock' design which has a single humbucker at the bridge.

Traben Bootsy - no excuse at all for this one. I'm a huge Bootsy fan & always loved his star shaped basses. When one became available at a price I could afford I snapped it up, bought totally on a whim and hardly played but I like it a lot & it's the combination of his influence and crazy shape that I like (although I've just stuck it up for sale as I really don't play it enough & it seems a shame!)

I've got nothing personal against Signature basses...as long as they are.
I remember seeing a "signature Custom blink-182 P-bass" when I was starting out maybe 7 years ago...and all I could think was...they REMOVED the tone pot and put in a different pickup...and thats it and everyone in school wanted one.

Some of the others like the Fender Urge II however I love, not jus cause I'm a Hamm fan, but because it is what I want in a 4-string by Fender...the pup combination is holy! and 24 frets is nice...

But most of the time they don't work for me and I play whatever bass I find is good for me.
I use a Yamaha TRB6II in a metal band...why? cause it plays and sounds how I want. No need for stigma.
Ofc I wouldnt mind my OWN TRB6II :) now thats different.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='866334' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:06 PM']Actually it just dawned on me... I do own a signature model.... yeah you guessed it the Pingray. :)

[attachment=52170:pingray060.jpg][/quote]

I looked at that...glad u got the neck working!
Mine has...well lets say its coming off and thats the last time I go with Dr. Parts necks again!

Your basses inspire me to completely break it down and start again actually...

I think there are two types of signature models. The ones that are blatent copies and those that are similar. I would bet my house that if you turned up at a gig with a Lakland Duck Dunn, nearly everyone would think, oh he has a red Precision rather that, "look at him, he's trying to be like Duck Dunn". The same if you turned up with a Geddy Lee, Darryl Jones, Jo Osborne, Steve Harris and many other signature basses.

However there are some signature basses which are a little more obvious. The Jaco bass, Sting's bass and King Bass. Again though, unless you know those people very well or are a bass player, most people won't really know those basses are signature models.

[quote name='Johnston' post='865828' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:56 AM']I have never been a fan of Sigs, they just seem to smack of ohh I wanna be like him having said that I've bought a fender mike dirnt.

As far as specs it ticked a lot of my boxes early 50s scratchplate, split P contoured body had it said Fender vintage modified it would have still been on my watch list.. But most of all it does not say mike dirnt or have a star on the body, A major plus.[/quote]

Me too. I bought one after reading a review and then trying one out. I'd never heard any Green Day until then.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='866490' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:36 PM']Pics or it didn't happen Si. :)[/quote]

Well here's the headstock. Can't find a pic of the parking ticket thing but the SC on the end of my bass looks like the SG on the ticket. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='866521' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:54 PM']Hey that's actually a nice design - suits it.
Did Jon do it or was it a homebrew?[/quote]

One of Jon's skills is as a designer so I did a rough mock up on a picture of my headstock using photo shop and he tidied it up, did the proportions, layout and positioning on the head.
He's a clever guy.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='866532' date='Jun 13 2010, 10:06 PM']Ha ha I never realised this but.... your bass is directly above mine in Jon's gallery. :rolleyes:[/quote]

ohhh yeah So you have a sig bas too :)

I really must do a pic strip instead of my wordy gear signature

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='866566' date='Jun 13 2010, 10:54 PM']Of course you know that makes us "gallery brothers". :rolleyes: Or should that be "gal pals"?

The purple one was sold on here not too long ago. I don't know who got it though. And I think we know who got the black and the white ones. :lol:[/quote]

Ha ha yeah...

I think I may have to get a JJB at some point :)