Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses...is it just me....

fender73

I get on best with a Precision neck - actually find the '51P to be dead right for me - so I searched for what was available with a P neck for sure & just maybe a Jazz body for a change.

I found the Fender [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306#"]Frank Bello[/url] signature model & even though I'd never heard of the man or his bands I rather fancied one, so when one came up at a good price I grabbed it .

I think it's a great bass & a bit different to most - especially after I've customised it further - with a SD 1/4Lb Jazz to equal the SD P already fitted, a rosewood thumrest & a Hipshot extender. Now it's my *do everything bass*.

Just straight output - no tone controls & no batteries required. High octane - great to drive!

Now I've got serious GAS for a Steve Harris signature P, - & so it goes on :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='866963' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:53 PM']Does anyone know how much input any artist actually puts into a sig model. I've heard stories where the builders look at what the artist is known for, build a few variations and then give them to the artist to say which one. So the artist really just gives the okay put my name on that one rather than state what they want.[/quote]

It varies, but in the case of the Attitude, it was heavily based upon the main features of Sheehan's P bass. This instrument is the product of rather a lot of tinkering over the years (mainly by the man himself) to get what he wanted...

and the production model (somewhat tidier)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='867220' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:30 PM']I found the Fender [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306#"]Frank Bello[/url] signature model & even though I'd never heard of the man or his bands I rather fancied one, so when one came up at a good price I grabbed it .[/quote]

Like it! And I didn't expect to be using the words 'Anthrax' and 'Helmet' in the same sentence today. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='866963' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:53 PM']Does anyone know how much input any artist actually puts into a sig model. I've heard stories where the builders look at what the artist is known for, build a few variations and then give them to the artist to say which one. So the artist really just gives the okay put my name on that one rather than state what they want.[/quote]

I think it all depends on the individual circumstances, for instance:

1) When Stuart Hamm got his Urge signature bass, it was designed from the ground up. Fender had bought the Kubicki company and so Stuart was in contact with them that way. Fender were interested in using a 9V version of the 18V Kubicki electronics they had devised in a Fender bass. They asked Stuart if he would like to have a signature bass built by Fender to suit his needs. Stuart stated that although the Kubicki was excellent for what he was doing on his own records, he was always taking a P and J bass to sessions with him. He put the project to Fender on the grounds that they could build him a bass that fully incorporated P and J features but was 32" scale with a 24 fret neck, amoung other things. Just to see how involved Stuart was with the design process, I recall Stuart saying on the first Urge Bass prototypes they tried using ebony fretboards like on the Kubicki basses. This proved to be too bright and harsh sounding and they chose pau ferro instead. So, that tiny annecdote gives some indiciation of just how involved with the development of his signature bass Stuart was. With the Urge II, I recall that it was Fender who wanted to make it 34" scale to increase the mainstream appeal of the instrument, but Stu was constantly in contact with Todd Krause of the Fender Custom shop and was approving details and taking receipt of custom prototype basses to ensure that the final product was excellent - although the most famous Urge II is undoubtedly "Mel", which was handbuilt to custom spec for Stu!

Whereas:

2) Look at the newer Yamaha John Myung signature model, based on the RBX basses. Whereas the first Myung bass looked like a cheaper version of what Yamaha were making for John Patitucci at the time, the RBX one just seemed to be something with his name slapped on it! It looked as though John had had no involvement with the design and had merely approved it to be his new signature model since it fit with Yamaha's product line at that price point. It was just an RBX bass with 6 strings and a MM humbucker at the bridge. Even John didn't play it on stage, I recall his having a cheeky singlecoil pickup at the bridge as well as the humbucker! And it still sounded crap!

[quote name='Johnston' post='867114' date='Jun 14 2010, 03:39 PM']But sometimes you are judged on what you have. I got invited to play for a blues band, A few comments were made by the guitarist over the fact I had a Thunderbird and not a precision. The fact I hadn't been in a band 5 years wasn't into blues and was only asked to turn up a few days before hand didn't come into it, I should have still came with a precision. I'd hate to see what would have been said if I turned up with a Gene Simmons axe or a Billy Sheenan attitude.[/quote]

Ah that's the old guard...
The new young blues people don't have such problems..

Chantell McGregor's bassist uses a 5 string Shuker single cut

and Oli Brown's uses a 6 string Warwck

[quote name='Johnston' post='867309' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:13 PM']So thats where I went wrong I shoulda took my dean 6 there was me thinking the 4 string was wiser more conservative choice :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Well if the Gitarsole was 22 like Chantell and Oli it probably would have been no problem..

I had a band try to tell me which of my basses to bring to an audition with them last year.
They failed the audition, not just on that point, but it was certainly a consideration.
Anyone who says my Jamerson coloured Shuker Precision is not "traditional" enough needs their head read.

[quote name='Legion' post='867048' date='Jun 14 2010, 02:28 PM']The Tony Franklin purely offered a combination of things I wanted (P bass, fretless, ebony, jazz pickup) I had never heard of the guy till I bought one. I don't care that his name is on the neck plate.[/quote]
+1.

I've never knowingly heard music featuring Tony Franklin. It's of no relevance to me owning or playing a bass with his name on the neckplate.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='867222' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:34 PM'][/quote]

The Wife!
Now THAT is a well played bass...however I'm surprised Fender never jumped on the idea of releasing it as a "Relic" series sig.
I know ofc that cant happen, Sheehan is with Yamaha, but you know Fender.

I do like the Attitude as much as I like the Urge II because it's -Different- from the norm, its not jus a Jazz body with a P neck and stingray pups like companies seem to think makes a signature good.

I'm kind of funny with signature basses.I'll try any of them out,but there are some that I would never buy because
of the player association,and others where it really doesn't bother me.
I once tried out the Ibanez K5 and it was a really nice bass,but I was majorly put of by the large inlay at the octave
position.If it would have just had the headstock signature,I may have bought one. I generally look away from the
signature instruments of modern rock bands(like the majority of Ibanez's signature series),usually because of some
nasty inlay rather than anything else.
I own 3 signature basses-Fender Marcus Miller,Yamaha Attitude,Ibanez Gary Willis-and despite the signature's,they are
all good instruments. Although,let's be honest about it,I did buy the Marcus because I am a massive fan. As it turned out,
it's a great bass and I have gigged it at lot(I've also got the back of the headstock signed by the man himself).
The other two were bought because they are really good instruments in their own right.

I've never had any negative comments when I've turned up to gig's with one of my signature instruments-Although I
have had a few positive one's about the Marcus. No one really cares if I use a signature bass or not.

My brother has an Ibanez K7 in firespark blue, and it must be about 6 years old now. It was just what he wanted - 7 string, Ibanez, mahogany body, wizard neck, floating bridge etc etc. Never got used for any Korn stuff but it certainly handled the Shawn Lane tunes well. So much so that after all these years of him playing it, I was surprised to look through my old Ibanez 2001 catalogue that I picked up all those years ago to see the K7 next to Head and Munky from Korn! I had been looking at that guitar for so long I associated it with him!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='867244' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:05 PM']Whereas:

2) Look at the newer Yamaha John Myung signature model, based on the RBX basses. Whereas the first Myung bass looked like a cheaper version of what Yamaha were making for John Patitucci at the time, the RBX one just seemed to be something with his name slapped on it! It looked as though John had had no involvement with the design and had merely approved it to be his new signature model since it fit with Yamaha's product line at that price point. It was just an RBX bass with 6 strings and a MM humbucker at the bridge. Even John didn't play it on stage, I recall his having a cheeky singlecoil pickup at the bridge as well as the humbucker! And it still sounded crap![/quote]

Thats not true. He still uses his Yamaha for songs that require the tone for it. As for the bridge pickup he used to switch between one with and one without.

As far as I'm aware he did have alot to do with the design of the second RBX. Its pretty much a Music man influenced bass. He wanted an MM 6 string but they didn't do them. I've got it and its a great bass for £800 squid, very fast, good sound, very good neck and a powerful EQ, bit on the trebly side but thats easy remedied with upping the bass on the amp. Of course when Mm released the six string Bongo he went for it, why wouldn't he.

Lets face it his sound has never been good, on their latest releases and live, he really needs to slip the sound guy a tenner or something.

When I was in the market for a 6 string (a search that ended with a Status Stealth 6 string), I considered the Myung RBX. Of course when I got my hands on it (when Sounds Live were selling them for £600 odd quid), I was fairly disappointed. It just felt a bit cheap for me, the sound was fairly lifeless and it didn't play fantastically. But on that note, I'm not sure why I was surprised. Myung has always had a pretty dire tone, even when he was using Tung basses! The RBX just didn't hit the spot for me and remains the cynical "Jimmy Page Les Paul" of the bass world for me.

Now, the John Patitucci TRBs, they are classics....

[quote name='KiOgon' post='867220' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:30 PM']I get on best with a Precision neck - actually find the '51P to be dead right for me - so I searched for what was available with a P neck for sure & just maybe a Jazz body for a change.

I found the Fender [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306#"]Frank Bello[/url] signature model & even though I'd never heard of the man or his bands I rather fancied one, so when one came up at a good price I grabbed it .

I think it's a great bass & a bit different to most - especially after I've customised it further - with a SD 1/4Lb Jazz to equal the SD P already fitted, a rosewood thumrest & a Hipshot extender. Now it's my *do everything bass*.

Just straight output - no tone controls & no batteries required. High octane - great to drive!

Now I've got serious GAS for a Steve Harris signature P, - & so it goes on :)[/quote]

I'm a big Anthrax and Frank Bello fan but I'm not really a P/J fan.
The Steve Harris bass is fantastic, get one!

I´ve had the Mike Dirnt sig (I still technically own one-it´s on loan).
Its black with white pickguard. Loved the sound of it originally, but always wanted the Mark Hoppus P Bass sound, so popped in a set of Duncan SPB3´s-giving me best of both models (i figured).
Killer tone and fab 50´s looks, whats not to love?! It was my main bass for ages (never gigged my Geddy Lee)
Unfortunately, my dream bass came along (Pink Mark Hoppus sig P Bass) and it moved further down the order of preference.

Of the two, I much prefer the Mark Hoppus sig as its much lighter and the natural sound of it is amazing. No tweaking or anything required and with only one volume knob in lieu of controls, it really is plug and play! And that snappy killer sound, no other bass sounds like it. and its pink!!!

Anyways, I don´t mind the idea of sig basses, as long as the bass sounds good, who really cares?
I dont think the prices are too good, but cant do much about that. :)

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='Johnston' post='868283' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:04 PM']And the only tell tail of what it is

[attachment=52322:DSCF0192.JPG][/quote]
Is THAT the star people are complaining about?! It's flipping tiny! Plus unless you play above your head a la crazy lead guitards no'one's ever gonna see it - seriously who is going to see that bass and even know it's a sig, unless you're a) a bass player and b ) a Mike Dirnt fan. I'd never even heard of him until this thread.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='868358' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:20 PM']Is THAT the star people are complaining about?! It's flipping tiny! Plus unless you play above your head a la crazy lead guitards no'one's ever gonna see it - seriously who is going to see that bass and even know it's a sig, unless you're a) a bass plater and :) a Mike Dirnt fan. I'd never even heard of him until this thread.[/quote]
To be fair I think it is the Squier that comes under criticism for it.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='868370' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:26 PM']To be fair I think it is the Squier that comes under criticism for it.

[/quote]

Aha - black permanent marker'd soon sort that out! Though again it would mean absolutely nothing to me...and I'm about the right generation for Greenday I think.

[quote name='bartelby' post='868234' date='Jun 15 2010, 06:04 PM']I'm a big Anthrax and Frank Bello fan but I'm not really a P/J fan.
The Steve Harris bass is fantastic, get one![/quote]

Dusted off my P-bass the other day and remembered why I grew to love em...A quick blast through "Invaders" and my hands got a nice workout.
Never got to get his Sig model but maybe one day, my 1st inspiration and still a big part in my playing today I guess. Not to be underestimated.

[quote name='fender73' post='865618' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:22 PM']..that loves when a known player has a new, or changes their signature bass? In my L42 days, i loved when MK appeared with a new Jaydee/Status (imagine my excitement when he moved to Fender ..although the bass was a bit pants). Currently GAS'ing for a Yammie Attitude and a Pino Custom Shop. I just love players signature models...any one else like me? (please?)

Graeme[/quote]

yay! someone else with the best & only way of spelling Graeme!!

i know how you feel mahn, i got G A S for most past & present Fender sigs, i think its the concept of being a genuinely good luthier and an awesome bass player for whatever they play.

the only bassist i dont like for signatures is bootsy and ive never had an interest in him because of it.

Apart from the Alembic Spyder, which is a faithful replica of John Entwsitle's bass, I really don't
care about signature basses. I wouldn't pay more for a nice looking 50's P bass with Sting's name
on it than one without.

I like to see what people use, but having their name on the bass wouldn't make me buy it. I would
hate to be seen as a wannabe of any other bassist.