Why become a member? ×

Poll: Which Fender Jazz would you buy & why?

OutToPlayJazz

Just curious as to which Fender Jazz you'd all most like to own, or which one you already own that you think is the bee's knees :)

I've had a few Jazzes now & my favourites are the Road Worn for it's amazing vintage sound & feel, the American Standard for all the improvements & quality, or my current 50th Anniversary for being such an eclectic mix of all the best bits.

Discuss your Jazz bass satisfactions and dreams...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Good idea Rich, I await with interest! After playing or owning a Lakland Daryl Jones, Fender Geddy Lee, Fender 08 American Jazz and my most recent Fender CIJ '75 Jazz, I'll be interested to see what others thing.

The next Jazz I'd like to try some day is the Marcus Miller. i've played one the shop and it felt miles better than a Geddy Lee. Stick in a Sadowsky or East pre-amp and you have yourself a Super Jazz right there :)

Well let's see... this is a no brainer.

1) Original US Vintage would be on my top list up to the late 60's but I couldn't justify the expense.
2) I wouldn't touch a mexican with a barge pole, I tried umpteen and they all had issues, some of which I couldn't live with.
3) I voted for Japanese reissues because of their superb quality and faithfult reporduction, they are the better value for money than any of the modern American made ones but at the same time, they are hard as hen's teeth to find
4) You didn't include in the poll option the Squier Classic Vibe which is a serious contender and my option no.2 after the Jap reissues.
5) As for the recent made in US, they are beginning to get better once again because from the mid 70's to up to the 90's and 00's they've been all over the place and buying a good one was a gamble, you get one good one out of 10'000 and I am not fond of the new push/pull/active Deluxe series, it's like tarting up a Mona Lisa. They ought to keep it original and trying to make it as good as it used to be when Leo designed them

Hmm - Good poll Rich!

I own the Classic Mexican series and love it to pieces. Its my bass and I really can't see myself letting it go (which for me is a big step!).

Although, If money was of no object then I think I'd shoot for a sadowsky. I played one once and it really blew me away.

After trying out the previous American Series, giving up (this was a fair while ago) I came back and found the current 08-10 onwards are some of the best Fenders Ive played, obviously I imagine a really nice 'real' vintage (not reissue) would probably be awesome, but I cannot justify it and Im wary of buying vintage instruments....(I would find it impossible to trust whats orignal!).

My current Jazz is fantastic. The S1 Jazzes were not to my liking, although they still felt nice. The S1 was, IMO, a bit odd.

I tried Metro Sadowsky's and could no way justify their current prices. Compared to the Fender 75 Reissue in the store, the Sadowskys had no 'bite'....not for me Im afraid. I think the pricing is ridiculous....guitarguitar are selling some for over £2,100! For a Metro!

Lakland Jazzes have great necks, but everyone I tried had poor QC...maybe I was unlucky. They also weighed a huge amount.

MIJ basses are great but if they weren't USA pickups I'd want to upgrade; the MIJ sound great but a little thin compared to the USA versions.

Might have voted for 75 reissue but I'd want it in another colour. I do like natural, but I'd want Olympic White or sunburst.

Custom shop Fender would be awesome, but out of my range.

I would like a Roadworn, but as I mentioned previously in another thread I think the price point is too high.

I still have not got over the honey moon period with my new Fenders....good stuff! Hopefully tomorrows 'wanted era'.

Edited by Musicman20

I opted for 62RI CIJ although I should really be "No thanks, I'll take a precision" as it's always my bass of choice. I do like the look of Jazzes though.

I don't own a Fender Jazz but would like to own one. Realistically it'll be what I voted for but I'd ideally like a 70s original that would be about £1500 (no voting option for that though). Still, I'm not in the market at the moment nor am I likely to be anytime soon.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='850803' date='May 29 2010, 12:08 AM']i think custom shop should be in there. Brazilian rosewood fretboard, dokata red, best jazz i ever played and for a '63 replica, cheeper than the real thing.

Otherwise 75 reissue gets my vote[/quote]

Quite right, I forgot the CS series... Consider it done :)

It's early on yet, but it's interesting to see the AV series running ahead of the rest. Is this everyone wanting a stack knob 62 reissue?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Like Burrito Bass says there is no option for a 70's USA Jazz Bass which is what I have!

I bought mine in Feb this year and have to admit that I have struggled to put it down ever since. You might not think much of that but given that my other bass is a custom built GB Rumour which cost double the price then it really is saying something.

The neck is so quick and the tone just perfect in the mix - I wish I had taken the plunge and bought one sooner. I hear a lot that there are some really bad jazzes and I must have just been lucky with mine but it really is a great sounding bass so + 1 for a pre 75 jazz bass.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='850820' date='May 29 2010, 12:26 AM']Like Burrito Bass says there is no option for a 70's USA Jazz Bass which is what I have!

I bought mine in Feb this year and have to admit that I have struggled to put it down ever since. You might not think much of that but given that my other bass is a custom built GB Rumour which cost double the price then it really is saying something.

The neck is so quick and the tone just perfect in the mix - I wish I had taken the plunge and bought one sooner. I hear a lot that there are some really bad jazzes and I must have just been lucky with mine but it really is a great sounding bass so + 1 for a pre 75 jazz bass.[/quote]

There, better? :)

This one! 2004 MIA S1. Nice, 2 piece Ash body in Trans Sunset Orange,Thru-body strung, Rosewood fretboard. Tried it against 8 other Jazzes, Musicmen, Corvettes, etc. and it comfortably bettered them all in tone and playability, and not just in my opinion.
Now even better with DR Sunbeams on it. I also have a Squier VMJ with a BadAssII and FatBeams on it. Good bass, but [u]completely[/u] different to this!
Edited for; Why do they not offer Stacked pots on new (MIA/MIM/CIJ) models? I'm tempted to do the Squier, but never understood why they stopped it ('62/'63?) in the first place. Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Although I think there are so many nice Fender Jazzes out there my vote goes into the 'super' category I'm afraid.

Alleva Coppolo who somehow manage to out-vintage an old Fender (and with 5 strings if that's your thing) but with far greater flexibility of tonal options

Celinder for such amazing playability a lovely core tone

Sadowsky for luscious finishes and 'that' punchy sound which is still so good live

well,my 1st choice would be an original vintage (have and played some already) but I guess I would love to have one of these new custom shop or anniversary. recently I bought Fender jazz made in Japan from 1994. sounds funny but that is best jazz bass I ever touched! it just feels so good and fit my hands and ears. (eyes too!!!)

I've played early 90's Japanese Squiers based on the 62 basses with the grounding strip, Us standards, roadworns, my own Geddy Lee, the latest Mex 70 re-issue. They were all great in their own way. Weirdly the Japanese Squier was my favourite playingwise and soundwise (it had been used and abused and left unloved in a damp rehearsal room for years).

So the answer is........

Japanese Squier 62 re-issue.

But you don't have that as a choice.

Ill take your 50th Rich.. :)
Other than that i would go for a Custom Shop to my spec....

Leaving Fender behind (which i would for this) i would go for a Pensa Jazz...I would have one of these over a AC, Celinder...i nearl bought this once but it fell through for various reasons

Awsome awsome basses....

Edited by bubinga5

I never really thought about jazz basses, I kind of didn't like the look of them for years before I got into bass playing. But a couple of years ago I was suddenly hit by the beauty of them, and I really liked the timeless classic look. I had spare cash and the plan was to get a 5 string American. I spent a few months trying to find one to try out (do any shops stock them!?!) when up on eBay sprung a Reggie Hamilton custom shop V. It was brand new condition so I took a punt with just over 1K (all I had) and surprisingly won it! I think that they are around 2K new.

This bass is just too good! Infact way to good for a hack bassist like me. I think that it's totally amazing, it feels a beaut to play and it's great to have the precision pup growl as well.

I voted sig model but it's also custom.