Why become a member? ×

What would you ask Jimmy Coppolo?

Born 2B Mild

With the (very, very soon to go live) www.bassgear.co.uk site, there is going to be a kind of magazine content side to it (contributors welcome).

All the owners of the 'boutique' brands that we'll be stocking* have agreed to be interviewed, and the first of these is Jimmy Coppolo.

This is an invitation for Basschatter's to think about what you would ask him. If you think of something, please add it to this thread in the next couple of days.

It's not that I'm short of things to ask, it's just that users and admirers often think of more worthy things to ask, which is often refreshing for the interviewee. Of course, Jimmy will answer your direct questions by email anyway, but this could save him a lot of bother!

I'll then put them in to the interview.

Thanks,

Phil

*Alleva Coppolo, Bag End, Fodera, Purple Chili, Shuker, Zon ,etc.

I think I can use one or two of these questions, so far :)

Keep 'em coming!

I've not had a chance to do the interview yet, as I've kept Jimmy busy sorting out actual orders ...at least three more AC's now ordered in the last three days!

Phil

:wacko:

Ive never played one, but would love to.
My main concern would be that his 5 string jazz basses look massive. Do they balance and how heavy are they? If they are as heavy as they look could you make a more moderate bass, not all bassists are the same build as Nate Watts :-)

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='847206' date='May 25 2010, 09:29 AM']Ive never played one, but would love to.
My main concern would be that his 5 string jazz basses look massive. Do they balance and how heavy are they? If they are as heavy as they look could you make a more moderate bass, not all bassists are the same build as Nate Watts :-)[/quote]

The 5 string bodies are, I believe, the same size as Fenders and Jimmy has recently made them slightly larger so that they look more in proportion. Weight also certainly hasn't been an issue with the two I have owned. I guestimate one was 8.5 lbs the other 9.

I would ask about the prospect of a PJ. I think Jimmy hasn't dismissed the idea but was struggling to get time to design the pickups correctly but would be interested to know?

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='847252' date='May 25 2010, 10:08 AM']The 5 string bodies are, I believe, the same size as Fenders and Jimmy has recently made them slightly larger so that they look more in proportion. Weight also certainly hasn't been an issue with the two I have owned. I guestimate one was 8.5 lbs the other 9.

I would ask about the prospect of a PJ. I think Jimmy hasn't dismissed the idea but was struggling to get time to design the pickups correctly but would be interested to know?

Steve[/quote]

I guess the headstock makes it seem bigger.
I love the stevie wonder live albums, Nate watts sounds amazing. Great tone.

[quote name='birdy' post='847252' date='May 25 2010, 10:08 AM']The 5 string bodies are, I believe, the same size as Fenders and Jimmy has recently made them slightly larger so that they look more in proportion. Weight also certainly hasn't been an issue with the two I have owned. I guestimate one was 8.5 lbs the other 9.

Steve[/quote]

I guess the headstock makes it seem bigger.
I love the stevie wonder live albums, Nate watts sounds amazing. Great tone.

Some questions. I hope you'll find a few that are worthy of asking. Some are aimed directly at Jimmy Coppolo and others would be ones that I would be asking of any luthier...

1. How much are his bass designs influenced by what he personally likes against what he thinks is easier to sell to bassists.

2. Do his basses retain certain "Fender-esque" features such as non-angled headstocks, limited numbers of frets and difficult upper neck access because he believes that changing them would adversely affect the sound or because it would change the look to much and "the market" wouldn't accept that?

3. Given that the majority of his basses feature on-board pre-amps, what advantages does he believe these circuits give over the ones built into the amp head (or recording channel strip)?

4. What does he believe has been the most important innovation in the way basses are designed and built since in 1960?

5. In what order off importance does he believe, tone, playability and aesthetics should go.

[quote name='birdy' post='847252' date='May 25 2010, 10:08 AM']I would ask about the prospect of a PJ. I think Jimmy hasn't dismissed the idea but was struggling to get time to design the pickups correctly but would be interested to know?

Steve[/quote]

Well - I have an AC in customs right now with a P body & scratchplate but a pair of J pickups so he can certainly handle the routing oK :)

I'd like to know more about the nitro finish - does it really make that much difference to the 'sound' of a bass? I know it feels really nice but is the potential for it to be damaged more easily an acceptable trade-off for an improvement in tone?

I'd also be interested in how he selects his woods. He's 'famous' for having access to some amazing woods - such as the Dalbergia Negra fingerborads. How does he get hold of these rare woods and how does he choose which ones might sound best?