Why become a member? ×

I just dont get Amp/Rig GAS????

bubinga5

Ok i get bass GAS from time to time...well ok most of the time..but by steady counselling ive got it under control... .anyway by and large im happy with the basses i have, they fit me like a glove now, although i am saving for something really special from the world of Nordstrand..

But i just dont get the Amp/rig GAS thing...i played my old Ostinato through an Aguilar 500sc and 212 cab and loved it...my amp and cab is the same i have had for a long time, and i love Aguilar stuff.the warmth is lovely...and to be honest i havent tried much else apart from a HUGE Trace Elliot amp and cab in a pub....am i missing something?

i feel i know quite alot about instruments and i know what i want, but when it comes to amplification im a bit naive

Maybe my ear isnt that fussy or maybe i need to check out some other gear..ive heard great things about Mark Bass and Bergantino...but does my wallet need more GAS...i think not..

maybe i got lucky and bought right for my ear first time...

also with the U Retro on the Sei there is so much i can dial in its just silly

any thoughts on what im missing

Edited by bubinga5

I'm in much the same boat, any decent amp should be able to give you whatever sound you need - for me it's just the balance of features, reliability and portability that gets me these days. I don't amp-shop for the 'sound', really; for my money if the amp's not total crap I should be able to set all of the controls flat and get something usable, then just tweak to suit.

I never did when I had only played cheaper gear, but once I'd tried a GK Neo 212 and heard what a difference it can make to the sound and yet so much lighter, I was more interested in getting a top spec rig than I was basses.

Agree that if your core sounds are good from your bass..and a Sei and John East is a very pwerful combo sound-wise. then all you need is an amp and cab that are faithful and a decent budget should do enough to get that very good sound.

I don’t think you’re missing anything; you’ve already got a top end rig that I’m sure anyone of us on here would be happy playing through.

I don't really get amp gas either. I feel a bit of a hypocrite saying that seeing as I've had a complete change in amps over the last 9 months. First time I’ve done it.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='830158' date='May 6 2010, 10:57 PM']any thoughts on what im missing[/quote]

Bass borne insanity obviously! I suffer very badly! G.A.S is evil! lol

If I had an Aguilar rig I doubt I would have GAS either :rolleyes: . I guess a lot of people on here aspire to that level of amplififcation and I suppose thats what causes the Amp GAS. Its nice to be able to go out straight away and get the best you can but my life with basses and amps has been one of slowly trading in and upgrading bit by bit.

I have a good sound and good gear but I GAS for more power and lighter smaller cabs rather than anything that will make me sound better (that would take some sort of magic or witchcraft). I just cant afford my ideal setup of two Berg 1x12 cabs and an Aguilar and Epifani Head. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='830379' date='May 7 2010, 09:31 AM'][b]Gas Free[/b] here too.[/quote]

I think I'd struggle to honestly say that I'll ever be GAS free, and that is in regards to all bass gear - amps, cabs, basses, effects, etc... I even had GAS for a gig bag once!! :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='830399' date='May 7 2010, 09:53 AM']I think I'd struggle to honestly say that I'll ever be GAS free, and that is in regards to all bass gear - amps, cabs, basses, effects, etc... I even had GAS for a gig bag once!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

My bass-related GAS if for gigs.
I'd really like to find a "big stage, big audience" band that stretches me musically but which fits with my tricky time and other life constraints...

Meanwhile I do have GAS for other musical things. The GAS potential for harmonica gear is huge :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='830399' date='May 7 2010, 09:53 AM']I think I'd struggle to honestly say that I'll ever be GAS free, and that is in regards to all bass gear - amps, cabs, basses, effects, etc... I even had GAS for a gig bag once!! :)[/quote]

+1 a very big one there!

I have a brilliant rig, which I love, but I daren't spend any more time on a Berg IP stack than I already have, oh no!

I like them super fancy leather gig bags someone ha posted up too, and the Mono ones, oh no!

I'd love a fretless Roscoe Century Std+ too, oh hell!

Not to mention a couple of really good old Fenders (a J and a P) just for completion, eeeeeekk!

And I really need some more effects too, a good overdrive (say a sansamp VT, but the programmable one) and a mega fierce synthy distortion (either a blowtorch or the big bad Soundblox Pro Multiwave Distortion), oh and a POG 2! Aaaaaaaarghhhhh!!!

Will it ever end??

I agree with the OP. I don't get it either. I've run my Hartke HA350 through Hartke 1x15 and 2x10.5 XL cabs for the last 8 years and they have been brilliant, never missed a beat, I have, but the gear hasn't. :)
I've only just started thinking about changing the 1x15 XL for a 2x15XL to get a bit more umph. I'll still run the 2x10.5 on top though

I keep having mild GAS attacks - seeing how much I've spent on gear in the last year (one bass, one head, one 4x10 and one 1x15).

Now experimenting with a tri-amped 'clean' stack / 'grit' stack, so GAS for another cab (8x10, 4x12, 2x12 or 2x15, who knows? :) )

And I keep looking at my basses and thinking that I've got room for least two more (a fretless Jazz 4'er, and maybe a Sandberg JM4, also something in 4/5 string to get me my B string back again - well, need to keep paying the bills tho')

All, I know is: 'GAS is good' and 'bass gear acquisition never sleeps'

HTH, Ian (AKA 'Gordon Gecko')

I used a Trace Elliot stack for twenty years and never experienced GAS at all. Mainly because I was under the (mistaken) impression that I was using the best gear available (and affordable)! How naive I was!

Since coming back to bass and gear more seriously about 18 months ago I have been amazed by how the quality end of the market has expanded massively. There is now so much choice - which is a good thing and a bad thing!

There is lots of gear I would like to [i]TRY[/i], but I'm not sure what to GAS for as I don't know how well it would suit me in the real world.

Purely from what I've read though.... I would quite like a BareFaced Vintage (or Super 12) and a TC RH450.

Having said that, I might try that set-up and hate it!! It's all so subjective. But at the end of the day, I have never played a gig and thought "Christ, I really [i]hate[/i] my tone!". So that's a good thing I guess.