Why become a member? ×

What was your first bass set up?

throwoff

Everyone post their first 'rig' and how much you paid for it!

Washburn XB120
Squier 15W practice amp (there was something going on at the time with Fender/Squier starter amps the Squier ones were literally identical with a Squier plate on and 1/3 cheaper!)
Ritter Gig bag
Venom Cable
Some Dunlop picks (a .96, 1.3 and 1.5)

£220

Still got the bass and bag somewhere! everything else is long gone!

Edited by throwoff

Marshall Super Bass 100W - £40
Orange 4 x 12 (original with original cover) - £90
Jim Harley (or something) MM copy - £100

wish to god i still had any of it - age old story;

go off to university, so and so says 'can i borrow you amp etc?'

'aye, fill yer boots'

and you lose touch...

Red Encore P-bass, and a horrible 10 watt guitar combo amp. I somehow acquired both items for free.

After about 6 or 7 months I upgraded to a Yamaha BB604 and Trace Elliot 715 SMC combo. Then the rest is history!

Edited by jim_at

Squier Bronco, in red, more money than it was worth from a music shop in Maidstone. I still have it, although rarely play it.
Laney HCM15-B, again, more money than worth, same music shop. Sold it somewhere, most likely ebay.

Twas 9 years ago now.

Oh, boy... First bass was a Hondo II Precision Copy (for about £122) from the long-gone Croydon Music Studios, but the first amp I ever bought for it was a Trucker 40 watt guitar combo. And I'll tell you for why... the guy at the shop (Rockbottom, Croydon) had sold the bass combo I was meant to purchase, so he steered me in the direction of this Trucker, saying that it took both guitar and bass fairly well. Forget what I paid... (That taught me the meaning of the word "bullsh*tt*r", but payback time came several years later when he sold me a Schecter strat for just £200).

Edited by Malc62

Worked my arse off in two horrible bars at weekends and bought my first bass-Yamaha RBX170 in black. After 45 mins of playing, the cheap strap I got with it broke and the bass hit the bare concrete floor in the garage, taking a massve chip out of the body, right above the input jack-instant relic and mojo! :) . covered the bass in stickers-forever reminding me of my humble punk origins.
Called it Robin, because one morning I went out there to get my bike and there was a wee robin perched on the headstock, staring at me.
My tech called round a few weeks ago to drop off some bits he´d done for me and noticed it. He asked me how the hell I´d learned to play on it-only noticed after many years how high the action was-like a bloody double bass!-it has never been set up
It still has the original strings on it :rolleyes:
Thinkng of sticking on my wall or something like that

Drive 20watt amp. Speaker is still good, but cranking it beyond halfway gives a low distortion.

Still have both

About two months later I won a Laney Richter R4 Stack in a local music shop giveaway. (lasted me years but sold it off a few years back)
A few weeks after that, my parents bought me a white mim Fender Jazz for my birthday(still have that too)

Glad I kept my first set up though

Fender Musicmaster (only fender I've ever owned!). White. Incredibly neck-heavy but with a nice action. Single soap-bar pick-up. Bought second hand for seventy quid in around 1982. The amp was a JHS 20 watt (or so) practice combo that sounded awful and looked worse!!

Got rid of both not long afterwards to be replaced with an Ibanez MC824 (recently sold on here) and a Trace Elliot 1110 combo, which was soon upgraded to the "classic" AH250/1048/1518 stack! That set-up did me for over twenty years (with the addition of the Status in 1986...).

Edited by Conan

I still have my first bass, a Washburn XB100. Cost £150 (it was that or a P Bass and I was bored of Fenders before I'd even started playing), I use it for teaching now but it has problems with the jack socket that I never quite get around to sorting out, so it hasn't been plugged in in a long time.

My first amp was a 10w thingy, can't remember anything more specific. Said I'd share it with a friend that I owed some money until I could pay him back, never saw it again (never gave him the money either).

Black Peavey Milestone I bass (Jazz copy) - cost £200 new - last heard of touring with a Jazz musician in the Glasgow area
Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100w head - cost £200 s/h
1 x 10 no-brand cab

None of the rig is still with me and a lot more gear has passed since then :rolleyes:

Andy :)

Black/white/maple Westone Concord I, which I still have-cost me £115 in about 1983 as I recall. first rig was a Peavey Century 100W head, with a pair of brand new Marshall 2X12 cabs. Was once told by a pro guitarist (from the band on the holiday camp where I worked) never to sell the head-but I did, and I got £120 for the whole rig.

Kimbara Jazz Bass Copy (Natural) - weighed a ton in its hard case, I recall. Never again.
+ Some kind of "Marlboro" (?) combo that I already had for keyboard & guitar.

No idea what they cost - this was back in the 1970's. Probably paid more for the bass back then than I did for either of my current basses. :) Can't remember what happened to them, but they are both long, long gone.

Summer of 1984, Westone Thunder 1 Natural bass from my mothers Grattan catalogue for £175, paid it off weekly and played it through my JVC tower system stereo until I bought a Carlsbro 90 Cobra Amp from a place in Barnet all long since gone...