2 x 4-way extension, that's just in case the one on the back of my rack fails
2 x power supply for my Boss, 1 primary and 1 spare
2 x power leads for the amp, 1 primary and 1 spare
3 x cable speakers, 1 primary and 2 spares
2 x set of strings Dr Lo-Rider strings
2 x Strap, 1 primary and 1 spare
3 x 9v baterries, 1 primary and 2 spares
Screwdriver, allen keys, vice grips, cable cutters, cable ties, small torch,

You can never be ready for everything but I never had a situation for which I didn't had a backup.

Since the majority of our gigs in London have supplied back line, I literally go with my bass in Mono gigbag, with tuner, VT Bass pedal and two leads in the big pocket. If one lead failed (never happened yet), we are usually on the bill with at least 2 or 3 other bands so I know I could borrow one. If we are supplying back line, then my Mesa Walkabout comes with me as a one-hand lift, with the rest of my gear slung over my back as above.

I generally have couple of cases. The main one has 3 instrument cables,2 XLR Cables,
3 patch cables,a Four-way,a long 2 way extension,Microphone,DI Box,Tuner,Volume
pedal,pen,9 volt batteries,old strings,assorted picks,and occasionally manuscript paper.

The other case has some more strings,another four-way,2 instrument cables,batteries,
screwdrivers,allen keys,pen,small torch,pliers,spare strap,Mic,for amp,music stand light,in ear monitors.
I always have 'old' strings as spare.I don't like it when you end up with 3 dead strings and one that's
bright and new.

On small local gigs,I can get away with just taking my main case,anything bigger I take both.

I also generally carry an Auralex Great Gramma, Instrument stand,2 Mic Stand(one for vox,one for cab),
music stand,and most importantly a big fan.

[quote name='Doddy' post='803284' date='Apr 12 2010, 12:54 AM']and most importantly a big fan.[/quote]

Absolutely, I hate playing to an empty room so it's always best to bring your own crowd members. I'll get my coat.

Seriously though I take as little as possible, spare fuses and batteries, old (but not dead) strings, I can use the xlr from my mic if I get a lead or wireless failure or use the xlr from my DI if the amp fails. I use George L's solderless cables so they're fixed really quickly if one breaks anyway (hasn't happened yet).

[quote name='Clarky' post='803141' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:23 PM']Since the majority of our gigs in London have supplied back line, I literally go with my bass in Mono gigbag, with tuner, VT Bass pedal and two leads in the big pocket. If one lead failed (never happened yet), we are usually on the bill with at least 2 or 3 other bands so I know I could borrow one. If we are supplying back line, then my Mesa Walkabout comes with me as a one-hand lift, with the rest of my gear slung over my back as above.[/quote]
Pretty similar for me- gigbag, bass, a lead, tuner. Done!

If I was getting paid for it I'd be a bit more thorough in terms of spares though.

I take 2 long leads and 2 short, a spare speakon-speakon cable and a little cheap toolkit. I leave some 9v batteries and an old set of strings in each bass case so i never have to worry about those

I used to take a spare bass when i was playing covers but don't any more. Also i DI through my MXR pedal so i never take a spare amp/cab either.

Also worth mentioning that in my old covers band we had spare fuses/4 gangs and a toolkit (with soldering iron) in the van

I take all my accressories to a gig in a Magma Multi-Purpose Studio Bag, which has tons of pockets and an adjustable interior, so I can set it up to hold different items according to my needs.

Currently, it contains:

[list]
[*]Radial Tonebone 2 channel preamp/DI and PSU
[*]TC Electronics Noya Dynamics 2 channel compressor pedal and PSU
[*]Earplugs
[*]2 x Hercules Stands
[*]1 spare kettle plug lead
[*]4 gang extension lead
[*]3 x OBBM instrument cables
[*]3 x OBBM speaker cables
[*]lots of misc patch leads
[*]Tool kit
[*]Box of spare 9V batteries
[*]One set of spare strings
[*]A4 Ring binder with misc charts
[*]Roll of gaffa
[/list]

I kept my EA Doubler in there as well until I sold it. If I get another head as a backup I'll most likely go for a micro again and keep it in the bag as well.

I think that covers it!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Over the tears I've aquired so many leads - all different types. When gigging I'm wireless, so the only ones I actually use are my OBBM guitar leads to connect my multi fx and a XLR for the cabs. If I don't take 2 basses, I'll take a spare set of strings (played in for the same reasons mentioned by ezbass) a spare strap, my batwing guitar stand and a spare of each cable type.

I always have spare 9v batteries, but will be screwed if the multi fx packs up. It's a ME50B and I've no reason to expect it will, but I might invest in a cheap DI - just in case.

With my double bass I take most of the above, or however much will get into my wire bag. My Clarus is quite small and I always take a 10" Wizzy and 12" Wizzy. I stack the 10 on 12 and as soon as I do my own sound check I can quickly tell whether the room acoustics will need one, the other, or both. Spare set of DB strings a set of pliers and a string winder to help restringing. I bet you BG guys don't need the pliers!

I also have a ring binder with charts condensed from something like 8 Real/Fake books in case I'm on a freelance gig and a strange number gets called. I can still just about read it from the floor although a music stand does it better.

Reminds me, must get onto Dave at OBBM and get a couple of new leads.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I take pliers, to cut the crappy bits off the ends of strings to change, and to tighten up things that spanners don't fit, also for pulling bits of string out of string through bodies (hangover from guitar playing days, tying old strings back together and forcing them into the back of a strat).

I take a spare everything except Head, as I only have one head. If that goes down I'll DI into the desk, sounds crap, but better than nothing.
Big box with strings, leads, allen keys (for total action failure, and hot room truss tweaks).
Although tonight, it's a jam night, so just P-bass in a bag with a lead and a strap, good times.

I have a spare of just about everything - I'd have a spare rig if I could convince some cyborg to carry it for me.

One thing - always saying this - a spare lead that's shorter than the one you're using is no spare at all. In fact it's worse , as you think you're sorted should your main one fail. Think about it - you run a 12ft mains lead to a plug , it dies on you so you whip out the 'spare' 10ft one. It doesn't reach the socket leaving you f**ked royally.

Other quirks -

I take my (boiled) old strings for spares and mark on the packet which bass they came off , you can't make the G from a 2+2 headstock fit on a Fender. I like the older strings because they'll blend better should one snap.

I carry a small tool kit in a mic pouch - included in it is a small purse containing 2 band aids , 2 nurofen and a gaviscon. Also 3" of pencil (sharpened both ends). You never know when you need to write something down and unlike a pen a pencil works in the rain.

My fave thing is my drink holder , mounts on the mic stand. As well as it being a handy place to park your pint it , I'm convinced , will (or already has) save me hundreds of pounds because I won't ever put my pint on my amp to be knocked over.

Sadly my mic stand mounted ashtray is now history - though I have been known to shove a pack of nicorette under the strings on the headstock to make a point !!