Why become a member? ×

Pedals you prefer the sound of to your 'basic' tone?

theosd

Are there any pedals you use regularly that you actually prefer the tone to over your clean sound? I'm yet to discover another since selling my MXR M80 (rather foolishly) a couple years ago. I'm thinking things along the lines of compressors or EQ pedals will be common answers but how about a reverb pedal you just can't switch off??

Curious to know what is highly rated by individuals on here =] Any examples of them in use would be interesting too...

[quote name='theosd' post='796532' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:40 PM']Are there any pedals you use regularly that you actually prefer the tone to over your clean sound? I'm yet to discover another since selling my MXR M80 (rather foolishly) a couple years ago. I'm thinking things along the lines of compressors or EQ pedals will be common answers but how about a reverb pedal you just can't switch off??

Curious to know what is highly rated by individuals on here =] Any examples of them in use would be interesting too...[/quote]

I've tried hordes of pedals over the years but still prefer the sound without. Apart from a tuner, that is. I've never found a compressor that doesn't squash the dynamics, despite what they claim.

Best pedal I ever used was an Akai Deep Impact. I regret getting rid because they're worth a fortune, but I have no need for one at the moment.

Yeah my EHX Bass Micro Synth is hella fun but I don't have the inclination to spend hours fiddling with countless possibilities in pedals. Nowadays I'd want something to sound distinctive but be simple to use. Bassballs was good for that but I guess its applications were so limited that I really had no use for it.

I can't think of a pedal on it's own. Probably a multi pedal, or a digital delay. I've been playing with the DD-20 a lot recently, that's pretty cool.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='796543' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:56 PM']I've never found a compressor that doesn't squash the dynamics, despite what they claim.[/quote]

Who claims their compressor doesn't reduce dynamics?!?

Two for me - both Behringers both with totally unmemorable names :)
The green limiter pedal maintains dynamics where you want them.
The brown acoustic preamp works as a DI & works very nicely to sweeten the tone of an acoustic bass, electric upright or ashbory as well as making my stratacousic sound like a much more expensive guitar.

I've recently found that the Sansamp Para driver and MXR M80 in tandem are just fantastic. I've been messing about with them a lot recently - and have found that when I turn them off and have no EQ, no nothing, it all sounds a bit flat. So on they go again!

comp - markbass compressore. really good compressor from subtle to squash.

envelope filter - 3-leaf audio - groove regulator. don't use it that often, but like the fact you can dial in as much or as little as required.

distortion/overdrive - the new source audio mwbd. as above..see my thread in the effects forum.

i also love the aphex bass x-citer as mentioned in a previous post, as it can work very well as a low/high boost/mid-scoop when required.

it all depends on whether the bass needs to 'stand out' or just back up the other instruments.

BDDI is always on. Always makes my LM2 sound way better.

I only haave the blend at about 40% effect, 60% direct though, just to add a touch of excitement and drive, while retaining the Stingray sound and punch. All oher controls at "noon" except presence which is at around 10 o'clock. And it makes a great DI, superior to the LM2 one.

Cheapo Behringer BDI21 thingy. Switched it on, fiddled with it a bit*, loved it, switched it off, didn't like what I heard, so now it's never off. It may as well be nailed to the amp with the switch removed. Reading over that last sentence, I realise I really should try a Sansamp BDDI, or the DHA VT version thingy, just for the better build quality and reliability. Or spend another £28 and have a complete spare for backup... :)

* I'm not a fiddler - five minutes max is all I ever give kit - if I can't get a sound I like in five, I give up. Perhaps that's why I didn't like the RH450, but love Markbass. Life's too short.

I've never found a compressor that doesn't squash the dynamics, despite what they claim.

have you tried the telenordia Kopressor(thats how it spelt on the site). I have never found a compressor to match it. it is a level above anyting else on the market.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='796543' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:56 PM']I've tried hordes of pedals over the years but still prefer the sound without.[/quote]

Me too. And there's enough going on at gigs without all those extra variables to worry about, IMHO. Keep it simple!

Surely the point of a compressor is to affect dynamics, although whether you can adjust it in a way that you like is often as much to do with the user as the effect.

I like the GLX limiter I bought from a forumite a few weeks back. As was suggested, I practice with it off, but prefer to have it on when playing with others. Fattens the sound out, stops the drain-darts effect of an un-limited slap and just makes the whole instrument feel more responsive.

I don't have any pedals that I feel the need to keep on all pretty much all the time.Although
lately I really like using the TC Nova Repeater for solos.
I'm also digging the Emma DiscumBOBulator and the Boss OC-2.

My MF-101 is on 95% of the time. I just like the extra depth that it gives to the lower frequencies & having it cutting a lot of the top + flatwounds = lovely subby sounds.
I don't use my Bass Murf enough tho. Rest of the band have trouble keeping in time with it, so it either gets used for it's sweepy flangy sounds or as a distortion for the most with solo parts on the arpeggio side.