Why become a member? ×

Songs You Have To Play

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='795924' date='Apr 4 2010, 07:24 PM']For me it's 'Boston Rag'. Thankfully we have dropped it (for now).

I would guess 'Mustang Sally' would be high on the list?

I'm curious to know what songs you hate in your set list but never want to admit to the band.[/quote]

One would have expected Mustang Sally to have been earlier than the 4th post though :)

In the covers bands:
Dakota - Stereophonics
Single Ladies - Beyonce
1999 - Prince
Boys and Girls - Pixie Lott
Anything by Kings of Leon
Anything by Oasis
Broken Heels - Alexandra Burke - we haven't played this one live yet but I'm already sick of it.
I'm going to leave it at that, but I could keep going.

I must be weird (yes you bloody are, they all cried) 'cos I quite like playing Mustang Sally. Mainly because the punters love it, bless 'em, and it always ends up as a good singalong.

Love Shack, I bloody detest.

[quote name='martthebass' post='796082' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:21 PM']Dance the night away...........yes I really do have to play it...........honest.[/quote]

I've had to cringe my way through that too in a past depping job.
I have a "worm sandwich list". ie I'd rather eat one than play again...
All of the above with mustang Sally, Stuck in The Middle and Brown Eyed Girl right up there.

Now Hi Ho Silver Lining and Alright Now fall in to an even worse category. They're in the "I'd rather set my hair on fire and beat it out with a shovel" list. Alternatively I'd leave the band before playing either of those.

What's the problem with Boston Rag Pete? Seen you do it at The Jazz Cafe a while back. It didn't show.

Edited by lonestar

Play all those 'cliche' songs every week, with as much energy as we can put into it.. without makin a racket. I never get bored coz always out to improve that stuff for our line-up.
Place is packed every week so its going ok.
Never get complacent, if you are bored youre gonna sound bad and the gig will suffer. If the bassline bores you spice it up a bit with 16ths or scale progressions.
At worst, try to look like its fun!

Edited by Musicman69

[quote name='dumelow' post='796154' date='Apr 5 2010, 12:45 AM']killing in the name - RATM

and im getting pretty sick of playing riders on the storm too, love the song, love that we cover the song but the keyboard bass part is repetitive[/quote]

Wow, you play those 2 in the same set? I bet there are a few songs between 'em :)