Why become a member? ×

Songs You Have To Play

Pete Academy

[quote name='chardbass' post='796172' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:15 AM']Wow, you play those 2 in the same set? I bet there are a few songs between 'em :)[/quote]

Were an originals band but we like to throw few random covers into the set, we try to go for stuff people wouldnt expect, we also do time by floyd and wynonas big brown beaver by primus among others

[quote name='lonestar' post='796086' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:37 PM']I've had to cringe my way through that too in a past depping job.
I have a "worm sandwich list". ie I'd rather eat one than play again...
All of the above with mustang Sally, Stuck in The Middle and Brown Eyed Girl right up there.

Now Hi Ho Silver Lining and Alright Now fall in to an even worse category. They're in the "I'd rather set my hair on fire and beat it out with a shovel" list. Alternatively I'd leave the band before playing either of those.

What's the problem with Boston Rag Pete? Seen you do it at The Jazz Cafe a while back. It didn't show.[/quote]

It's a great song, but far from my favourite. I always give it 100% though. :)

I used to suffer from this quite a lot when we had a female singer-her taste wasn't the same as the rest of us, and compromises had to be made. We did 'Black Velvet', which I always hated as a song, although it does have a nice bassline-sadly I didn't have a fretless at the time. we also had to do a couple by Pink which were pretty 'orrible. Don't miss doing those.
We're on the bill of a multi-band charity gig soon, finale is ensemble versions of 'Sweet Home Alabama' (we do that, but [i]nothing[/i] like the original), and 'Mustang Sally', which believe it or not I've had to learn.

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='martthebass' post='796082' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:21 PM']Dance the night away...........yes I really do have to play it...........honest.[/quote]

I've seen a few people mention this in various "sh*te song" threads.
I'm assuming it's the f***ing dreadful Mavericks thing that is being referred to & not the Van Halen song of the same name?

Mustang Sally's crap? I can only think that you've never played it properly!

You've all listed some great songs. I'd love to play any of them as long as they're played well, but I don't like playing ANTHING if it's played badly.

[quote name='chris_b' post='796492' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:01 PM']Mustang Sally's crap? I can only think that you've never played it properly!

You've all listed some great songs. I'd love to play any of them as long as they're played well, but I don't like playing ANTHING if it's played badly.[/quote]

I agree, most of the songs being mentioned were hits. Why? Because they had great groove and feel.. Mustang Sally is a perfect example. If the drummer is on the money you cant help but enjoy that stuff.

[quote name='chris_b' post='796492' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:01 PM']Mustang Sally's crap? I can only think that you've never played it properly!

You've all listed some great songs. I'd love to play any of them as long as they're played well, but I don't like playing ANTHING if it's played badly.[/quote]

'Mustang Sally' is a great song? The jury's out on that one. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that although I've played that song, it's only been about a hundred times, so I've actually enjoyed it...unlike some of our poor members who've probably played it thousands of times and want to wring its bloody neck. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

You'd be supprised how many people actually screw up the groove on Mustang Sally.

Wost song I have ever had to play was a Kings Of Leon one... er... Fans! That's it!
If you've never heard it then prepare yourself for this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hgRDRc3ug"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hgRDRc3ug[/url]

Anything by "Nickelback"
I simply will NOT do it.
I'd resign first, with some dignity intact,
(and I ve played some awful stuff over the years!!)
I do have, at least, ONE line in the sand which I will not step over, however.

Nickelback? ......Gahh...... :)

I look at it this way....

If you're an amateur, then playing gigs is fun, so just enjoy it whatever song you're doing. You're there to entertain an audience, so as long as they like the songs, thats what really matters.

If you're a professional, enjoy it even more, you're lucky enough to be playing bass for a living.... you could be working 10 hours a day in some sh*tty factory!

(apologies to anyone who works in a factory)

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='796557' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:09 PM']Wost song I have ever had to play was a Kings Of Leon one... er... Fans! That's it!
If you've never heard it then prepare yourself for this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hgRDRc3ug"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hgRDRc3ug[/url][/quote]

Maybe my taste is just crap but I think that song is quite good, nice feel, dynamic. I like his quirky basslines.. geetar solo is poor though.

Edited by Musicman69

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='796622' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:53 PM']I look at it this way....

If you're an amateur, then playing gigs is fun, so just enjoy it whatever song you're doing. You're there to entertain an audience, so as long as they like the songs, thats what really matters.

If you're a professional, enjoy it even more, you're lucky enough to be playing bass for a living.... you could be working 10 hours a day in some sh*tty factory!

(apologies to anyone who works in a factory)[/quote]

Is that a factory that makes sh*t? Geez, wouldn't like that job!

[quote name='RhysP' post='796485' date='Apr 5 2010, 12:49 PM']I've seen a few people mention this in various "sh*te song" threads.
I'm assuming it's the f***ing dreadful Mavericks thing that is being referred to & not the Van Halen song of the same name?[/quote]

You are indeed correct..........................'lets see you swayin'

In my old band, there was 'Pain for Pleasure' by Sum 41 (cos I don't like the song), One of our own songs (the guitarist told me what to play, consequently I dreaded playing it cos it was really boring 'dum-dum-dum-dum-dum' rubbish bass), Sweet Child o Mine (I never really learnt it properly admittedly, a lot of it was improv so I was never sure what I was doing...it didn't seem worth learning properly as we only played it live once) and Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth (really easy and boring on bass, IMO).

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='796622' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:53 PM']I look at it this way....

(apologies to anyone who works in a factory)[/quote]

Quite right. Mind you playing Highway to Hell bores me silly! :)