Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

17 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

It does look good! A haze machine is an excellent investment, just presents lighting nicely. I’ve been operating the lighting desk for a local theatre company this week and I’ve had a REALLY big one to play with.

We own our own sound and lights which includes two haze machines. One for each side of the stage. It looks great, however most of our big stage gigs provide professional sound and lights.  For smaller gigs our lighting and sound would be overkill. 

The pic is from a " tent gig". One of the few gigs where we used our full arsenal of sound & lights.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1698390448324.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 6

On 15/04/2024 at 10:25, Jack said:

Saturday (so not quite last night, sorry) was the very first ever gig for my new project Pop Punk Prty. It was, in my estimation, a little too early to be 'out there' and we all felt very unrehearsed. However, it was better than I expected! If we play like that on our 5th gig I'll be annoyed, but for a first gig I'll take it.

Rig was my trusty (and suitably pastel green) SB-2 into my HX Stomp. Everyone on IEMs apart from me (I have soundman duties) so I've got one of my QSC wedges. To complete the rig there's genuine 00's baggy jeans that were sourced by my wonderful friends at Tender Hooligan.

Gosh I'm fat.

Nice job Jack !

Daryl

Completed a week of Me and My Girl at the Swan Theatre in Worcester for the ever excellent WODs. Properly old school show, which included the running time, full 3 hours with the interval and long sections of dialogue so concentration after the day job wasn’t always easy. This coupled with the fact the chart pretty looked the same for every song, every conceivable root fifth octave it felt like in every key. Love playing with the band though, great players and camaraderie, will be back for the youth show in August which is Addams Family. Obligatory gear shot- G&L LB100 with chrome flats and nordymute, little mark tube and db 110 cab, one trip to the car!

IMG_4288.jpeg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We own our own sound and lights which includes two haze machines. One for each side of the stage. It looks great, however most of our big stage gigs provide professional sound and lights.  For smaller gigs our lighting and sound would be overkill. 

The pic is from a " tent gig". One of the few gigs where we used our full arsenal of sound & lights.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1698390448324.jpg

Nice set up Daryl. Pumpkins aren’t that big this side of the pond!! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, scalpy said:

Completed a week of Me and My Girl at the Swan Theatre in Worcester for the ever excellent WODs. Properly old school show, which included the running time, full 3 hours with the interval and long sections of dialogue so concentration after the day job wasn’t always easy. This coupled with the fact the chart pretty looked the same for every song, every conceivable root fifth octave it felt like in every key. Love playing with the band though, great players and camaraderie, will be back for the youth show in August which is Addams Family. Obligatory gear shot- G&L LB100 with chrome flats and nordymute, little mark tube and db 110 cab, one trip to the car!

IMG_4288.jpeg

Massive admiration for any fellow BC’ers that do pit work. That’s some proper skill. The show I’ve been op’ing lights for this week had a lad on bass who used to play with my lad in the school soul/concert band. He was awesome. Like: 21, still at uni, but as good as any bottom end I’ve heard in a west ender. And in my household, that’s a lot of west end shows seen! Good work @scalpy!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two nights depping done and great fun as ever.

Phone call/ message 9 am Friday morning. 11 hours later load in for gig one. Got through relatively unscathed for a slightly later start and finish at a pub I’ve not played at for years. Last time I depped with them was January and it’s a mix of a set with only a few cross overs to my normal set (though different keys to those I usually play those few in) but good players and an easy bunch to work with and off.

Second gig closer to home and a bit earlier to finish which is just as well as I’m in Mrs Walman’s bad books for taking two gigs just before we head off on holiday. 

Reasonable crowds both nights and running full IEM’s which worked well. A bit more holiday spending cash, which is nice. And so to bed and head to the airport tomorrow afternoon ready for Monday morning 😁

• Like 10

No gigs till start of May for me. Its actually been a welcome break in April having just the drummers birthday gig last weekend which took up 3 days Set up Fri, gig Sat and collect the gear Sun.

Enjoying the quiet weekends.

Dave

• Like 2

We had a pretty good one in Malvern last night supporting old skool punx The Samples.

Decent sized crowd (room was almost full for us) and sound was pretty good - as the PA was vocals only and I had the biggest amp I could actually hear myself. I'd also put in simple tube compressor/noisegate combo in my Helix for a clean (for me!) bass sound. Gear was Parker bass through Helix into BBE pre and DBX rack compressor, Crown pwer amp and Markbass 4x10.

Icing on the cake was that everybody hated us and nobody gave any compliments about anything we did until we left the stage and there was a collective shout of "Thank fck for that!"

Anyway, here's a bit...

(edited to add cleaned up audio and colours vid)

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 10

Final one of my four gigs this week, played last night at Theatre Severn in Shrewsbury. 
Opened in 2009, it is situated right on the riverside and holds around 640 people.

One of the best theatres we visit, it has a great sound, superb backstage facilities and

staff as well as being in a lovely town. We got there early after only driving up from

Redditch, so had chance for a wander round. ( I had probably the best pizza ever at 

a place called Dough & Oil in the town centre, highly recommended! )

Gig went really well, one of our best for a while. Apparently Limehouse Lizzy were playing

in the smaller adjoining theatre, so lots of people around.

Long drive back home, got in around 2.30am so glad I’m not gigging tonight.
My last two gigs with the band this coming week are in Ipswich and Birmingham, so hoping

they’re as good. 

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

• Like 14

Great gig last night at the Service Station in Hull. The staff and crowd entered into the 70s Glam theme bigly. Bar staff dancing on the bar at the end….

Definitely will be returning in ‘25.

The on stage sound was pants though, too loud and undefined (sounded great FOH though), could hardly tell what I was playing all night which led to the odd guff. Must sort out some in ears sooner rather than later.

• Like 11

Our monthly outing at Jam Night.  The guitarist (Warren) was depping for us.  I didn’t think we were as tight as we are with our regular guitarist - the singer (Vicky) was on a high after the set though.  She even managed to give me a “singer’s stare” towards the end of the instrumental.

A bit of Dusty for you.  Alternatively a Sam Fox cover (I managed to get a “usually uncovered” gag in for that one 😀).

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

We had a pretty good one in Malvern last night supporting old skool punx The Samples.

Decent sized crowd (room was almost full for us) and sound was pretty good - as the PA was vocals only and I had the biggest amp I could actually hear myself. I'd also put in simple tube compressor/noisegate combo in my Helix for a clean (for me!) bass sound. Gear was Parker bass through Helix into BBE pre and DBX rack compressor, Crown pwer amp and Markbass 4x10.

Icing on the cake was that everybody hated us and nobody gave any compliments about anything we did until we left the stage and there was a collective shout of "Thank fck for that!"

Anyway, here's a bit...

There's people dancing, couldn't have been that bad plus i like that song.

Dave

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

No gigs till start of May for me. Its actually been a welcome break in April having just the drummers birthday gig last weekend which took up 3 days Set up Fri, gig Sat and collect the gear Sun.

Enjoying the quiet weekends.

Dave

May 3rd , Thelma Performing Arts Center is my next gig. Tickets are $20.00 and the event an hour away from our base. I don't know how we're going draw even a respectable size crowd.

Daryl

20240420_165216.jpg

• Like 5

Two gigs this weekend, full on plugged in at the Canadian club and an acoustic half improvised at our Brit club by way of a farewell to our female vocalists who leave post soon. 
It was interesting to compare the two gigs back to back. Lots of energy at the first gig, plenty of people up and dancing, the acoustic gig was a very chilled vibe but there were moments where we had lots of people dancing and because it was low volume the families stayed and had a good time too. 
Interesting in a couple of respects. Firstly a lot of feedback to say we should do more unplugged and a whole demographic that prefer it to us in full blast mode and secondly a whole bunch of numbers we do better acoustically. A result of which is we might start doing an acoustic set at the start of our gigs and do some more acoustic nights as apart from anything else it’s a lot easier to set up. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 12

My first full-blown choral gig for a few years - I've depped in a few concerts, but I've not been part of a group for a while. Saturday's venue was Carlisle Cathedral with a fully pro orchestra plus the cathedral organ for Elgar's Music Makers.

Orchestra was brass: tuba, 3 trombones, 3 trumpets, 4 horns; woodwind: usual pairs of flutes, oboes, clarinets, and bassoons plus bass clarinet and contrabassoon; strings including 2 double basses; harp; percussion: timps plus assorted things like bass drum.

Audience was more-or-less a sell out. 

IMG_4068.thumb.JPG.7ea0e48d89115093475c2d4ef9a13d77.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

May 3rd , Thelma Performing Arts Center is my next gig. Tickets are $20.00 and the event an hour away from our base. I don't know how we're going draw even a respectable size crowd.

Daryl

20240420_165216.jpg

Looks like a nice venue Daryl, sure you will pull in a decent crowd. Who is doing the advertising and promotion for it. You just need to push that and make sure the local Facebook "what's on" or "gig guide" pages have your promotion on them.

We have around 3-4 FB pages in different areas we play that we fire the gig advert onto. Not sure if it helps but i like to think it brings the band to people that may not normally follow us.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Two gigs this weekend, full on plugged in at the Canadian club and an acoustic half improvised at our Brit club by way of a farewell to our female vocalists who leave post soon. 
It was interesting to compare the two gigs back to back. Lots of energy at the first gig, plenty of people up and dancing, the acoustic gig was a very chilled vibe but there were moments where we had lots of people dancing and because it was low volume the families stayed and had a good time too. 
Interesting in a couple of respects. Firstly a lot of feedback to say we should do more unplugged and a whole demographic that prefer it to us in full blast mode and secondly a whole bunch of numbers we do better acoustically. A result of which is we might start doing an acoustic set at the start of our gigs and do some more acoustic nights as apart from anything else it’s a lot easier to set up. 

I’m interested in knowing if you ever play to locals and if they have any appetite for the sort of music you play.

• Like 1

As I mentioned here, the pros weren't able to turn up for their usual jam session so it ended up with my band depping as the house band.

This turned out quite well; there was a chap in the audience who organises music at local beer festivals and he seemed to like it. We played Spain at the end and I think we got away with it.

Once again, the TC Electronics BAM200 appeared to give good service - perhaps I won't need my Orange Terror any more (which I didn't even bring).

• Like 7

After a couple of gigs with the new band last week, it was back to the Zep tribute on Saturday playing a relatively local gig at Studio 5 in Keighley (or K-town as it is known in these parts). 

A good gig all in all, with a pretty decent turnout (always a relief when you are playing locally). The only issue was the guitar players Helix multi FX playing up when he changed guitars (he had to turn it off and on again) to the double-neck! It's funny how that guitar got a cheer all of its own when it was brought out, a boo when we thought that it was the guitar playing up and Chris would have to use the six string, and then another cheer when he realised it was the Helix and plugged the double-neck in again! 

Next gig in Llandudno in North Wales on Saturday. 

LIZ k-town 3.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 14

On 22/04/2024 at 07:18, zbd1960 said:

My first full-blown choral gig for a few years - I've depped in a few concerts, but I've not been part of a group for a while. Saturday's venue was Carlisle Cathedral with a fully pro orchestra plus the cathedral organ for Elgar's Music Makers.

Orchestra was brass: tuba, 3 trombones, 3 trumpets, 4 horns; woodwind: usual pairs of flutes, oboes, clarinets, and bassoons plus bass clarinet and contrabassoon; strings including 2 double basses; harp; percussion: timps plus assorted things like bass drum.

Audience was more-or-less a sell out. 

IMG_4068.thumb.JPG.7ea0e48d89115093475c2d4ef9a13d77.JPG

I take it you were singing Bass!

5 hours ago, peteb said:

After a couple of gigs with the new band last week, it was back to the Zep tribute on Saturday playing a relatively local gig at Studio 5 in Keighley (or K-town as it is known in these parts). 

A good gig all in all, with a pretty decent turnout (always a relief when you are playing locally). The only issue was the guitar players Helix multi FX playing up when he changed guitars (he had to turn it off and on again) to the double-neck! It's funny how that guitar got a cheer all of its own when it was brought out, a boo when we thought that it was the guitar playing up and Chris would have to use the six string, and then another cheer when he realised it was the Helix and plugged the double-neck in again! 

Next gig in Llandudno in North Wales on Saturday. 

LIZ k-town 3.jpg

Have to admit i'm always impressed when i see the twin necks out in mates Zep tribute band and on occasion a Rush tribute will have them. They do look good. 

Must be great playing some of those Zep bass lines Pete. Nice set up you have behind you too.

Singer looks like a young Coverdale in that pic LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

A few few more pics from last Saturday nights gig in Hull. Nice shot of the, new to me, Lionel on its second gig. Also a shot of the bar staff dancing on the bar….that’s a new one on me.1B78E94E-BDC7-441C-A4E4-4E68EE7288AA.jpeg.799390bb3d44d89b684793ae7585cd97.jpegFEEC4A66-78CD-4E1B-92F4-51C1D4B415DF.thumb.jpeg.cefffcb649164777f089c6b19e1ea3d5.jpeg

6DC4A41C-36B5-421B-A30A-2221408828E7.thumb.jpeg.16e634ea65847a680d0b346c9fedda2f.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to admit i'm always impressed when i see the twin necks out in mates Zep tribute band and on occasion a Rush tribute will have them. They do look good. 

It's a bleedin' horrible thing, always going out of tune, etc (apparently, Page hated his as well). But, it's part of the show and people get excited when you whip it out, as it were...! 

Must be great playing some of those Zep bass lines Pete. Nice set up you have behind you too.

Yea, Zep have always been my favourite band since I've been a kid, but I didn't really play many Zep covers before I joined the tribute. When I had to figure out the bass parts, it was uncanny how much JPJ had influenced my playing without me consciously being aware of it, or having purposely copped his lines!

The set-up is a Handbox R400 into a Berg CN212, lately with a Caveman pre before the amp. The bass is just a 2015 American Std Jazz. 

Singer looks like a young Coverdale in that pic LOL

He's not that young these days! In person, I always think that he looks more like Jerry Sadowitz (although he does get Brian May a lot, just because of the hair)! I used to be in a band with him in the late 80s - he always had a Plant-esque delivery, as well as being a massive fan. Getting him and the new keys player in the band has really lifted things to a different level. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3