Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last gig of 2023! A Thursday night wedding- in the Christmas/ new year ‘Gooch’ as described by our drummer. Really nice venue, large crowd, still had some party vibes left in them. The room can be a bit troublesome sound wise but the sound guy was on it and everything ran really smoothly. As ever, our singers found a new way to make even bigger plonkers out of themselves in our titular song, all in the name of entertainment. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Just an addendum to this upcoming oddly-spaced NYE gig: the landlord won't pay for a DJ, he wants the band to do the whole thing, starting at 8pm for the first 30 min set, then 30 mins playing every half hour, alternating with DJ sets, finishing at 1am. He also extended the hours after we'd accepted the gig...and the money wasn't great to start with; apparently the original band booked had pulled out, and I'm beginning to see why...he's getting five(!) Spotify DJ sets in between our sets, and he can like it or lump it...I may be (and hope to be) proved wrong, but in true Star Wars styleee, I've got a bad feeling about this...

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Normally after a gig we would play a playlist of some sort through our PA whilst we pack up etc.

For NYE's gig I have said that we need shouldn't do that as it adds to the packing up time, as we can't breakdown the PA & mixer etc and we are all keen to get out of there ASAP.

On a side note, I saw today a quote generator for a wedding band, and on their list of options was an after gig playlist put through their PA, and they were charging nearly £200 for that as an extra add on to the main gig fee. 

• Like 5

Bandeoke residency in Bristol last night. Crazy busy, crowd right in the mood, only played Valerie three times as well which was a bonus.

I really enjoy these gigs. The barrier between audience and performers is totally broken down.

You know that guy ? The one at every gig who comes up and yells 'play Wonderwall'? Well instead of shaking your head and saying sorry mate it's not on the set list and continuing with your prog ska interpretation of My White Bicycle to the understandable derision of the crowd, you just say yes mate, of course, get up here and sing it with us. People feel invested, part of the evening, and we have no clue what we'll be asked to play (except Valerie of course) which keeps us fresh.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

Forthcoming New Year’s Eve dep gig is now looking shaky, as the singer has done his back in big time. Spent most of today chasing my contacts for possible dep vocalists. Actually got two potential takers from a post on Norfolk & Suffolk Musicians Wanted Facebook group. Not bad seeing I had only posted a couple of hours previously. Unfortunately, my top candidate (who can play all the instruments in the band too) has the cold and cough that is doing the rounds. Over to the BL now 🤞. Rehearsal booked for this evening could be interesting with two deps!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just an addendum to this upcoming oddly-spaced NYE gig: the landlord won't pay for a DJ, he wants the band to do the whole thing, starting at 8pm for the first 30 min set, then 30 mins playing every half hour, alternating with DJ sets, finishing at 1am. He also extended the hours after we'd accepted the gig...and the money wasn't great to start with; apparently the original band booked had pulled out, and I'm beginning to see why...he's getting five(!) Spotify DJ sets in between our sets, and he can like it or lump it...I may be (and hope to be) proved wrong, but in true Star Wars styleee, I've got a bad feeling about this...

Walk or demand fairer pay if you're doing the work of two bands, I reckon

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Muzz said:

Sadly, I'm not the BL, we'll just have to see how it rolls...

Are you really that bad that the landlord thinks you are pushovers? Tou can't renegotiate by decree and not at the 11th hour either. Turn up and demand the original agreed deal pay up front before setting up. Be prepared to walk. If that happens find the closest bar that will have you for 2 quid cover on the door and play your aresesses off 9 to 12.30.

• Like 6

Just back from two shows at Bibi’s Italianissimo - sort of big 1920s-themed restaurant in Leeds. We do a matinee and evening gig there most times we play, as we did today. Really good vibe, nice crowd, up for singing and dancing. 

Took my Mustang bass along for its first gig this year - I’d put it up for sale, then withdrawn it, and thought I owed it another bash to see how it performed at a live gig. 

And the answer was “brilliantly!” Glad I hung on to it. 

The projection of a cosy winter hearth on the backdrop did make it look like our drummer was on fire when viewed front on…

IMG_1107.jpeg

• Like 17

6 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Just back from two shows at Bibi’s Italianissimo - sort of big 1920s-themed restaurant in Leeds. We do a matinee and evening gig there most times we play, as we did today. Really good vibe, nice crowd, up for singing and dancing. 

Took my Mustang bass along for its first gig this year - I’d put it up for sale, then withdrawn it, and thought I owed it another bash to see how it performed at a live gig. 

The projection of a cosy winter hearth on the backdrop did make it look like our drummer was on fire when viewed front on…

IMG_1107.jpeg

Who are ‘we’? Sounds like a good gig.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

IMG_1107.jpeg

What an amazing pic. Looks like a very interesting venue.

Dave

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Sorry yes good point. It’s the Elton John tribute band. 

Explains the large piano in the pic. That must be a great band as i love doing Elton songs in our Glam covers band. So many great basslines in his songs with some amazing players over the years.

Dave

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Explains the large piano in the pic. That must be a great band as i love doing Elton songs in our Glam covers band. So many great basslines in his songs with some amazing players over the years.

Dave

Yeah definitely! Dee Murray I think was the bassist on a lot of the earlier stuff and he’s really inventive. I guess having Elton’s left hand already rumbling away on the low end means finding some other space for the bass lines to occupy. 

Step into Christmas has a fiendish bass line too! 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Yeah definitely! Dee Murray I think was the bassist on a lot of the earlier stuff and he’s really inventive. I guess having Elton’s left hand already rumbling away on the low end means finding some other space for the bass lines to occupy. 

Our singer wants us to cover that song for next years gigs and i'm really looking forward to learning it.

Any tips welcome :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Saturday Night was one of the first songs I had to learn when getting back into this lark. Great to play, I  always use it when trying out a bass.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our singer wants us to cover that song for next years gigs and i'm really looking forward to learning it.

Any tips welcome :laugh1:

Dave

That little run at the end of the choruses took me a while to nail. And the bass line in the chorus itself is all over the place, plus with BVs on top. 

Cool tune tho 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last gig of the year last night, playing an Ibanez I bought from a BassChatter. My appetite for doing Hogmanay/New Year gigs has long since gone, so next gig is the end of January. Great fun, busy with plenty friends in, everyone seemed to enjoy it and bookings for next year too. 

IMG_0774.jpeg

• Like 12