Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 21/11/2023 at 09:14, Al Krow said:

Not going to be often that my crew get invited to play a wedding at the Shard - so definitely one for us to remember.

LAM-Shard(23-11).thumb.png.6b03541dc742e0f76e30a07206100914.png

Logistically it was one of the most tricky we've had to negotiate: moving kit from the loading bay, which we needed to pre-book slots for the two cars, then going off to park in a nearby car park while a member of staff plus one bandmate moved all the kit from lift 1 to lift 2 and then from lift 2 to outside the wedding reception room on the 34th floor. Then doing all that in reverse at the end of the night! The view was worth it though 😊

Fish & Chips, Burger & Chips probably £35 each in The Shard.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, steantval said:

Fish & Chips, Burger & Chips probably £35 each in The Shard.

Haha, you're not wrong! £39 for fish & chips and £10 for half a lager!! Fortunately we had food provided (which was an unexpected treat) by the wedding couple who very kindly looked after us. 

• Like 3

Just on the precious PA owners being bass-shy, the busiest of my gigging bands uses two RCF 2-way 15s (745s, IIRC), no subs, and absolutely everything goes through them: vocals, guitar, me, drums (5 mics on the kit), bongos/congas (don't ask), the lot, without backline, and we're always, always too loud for even big pubs - the BL/Singist/Geetard/PA Owner is of the 'If it doesn't sound right turn something up' school of mixing, and possibly thinks attenuation is something soldiers stand to: I'm constantly telling him to turn the mains down, while I'm looking at wincing punters*....

Anyhoo, point being those 2 x 2-way RCF 15s of ours can absolutely deafen even a large pub, so they'll handle the bass without breaking a sweat...

* I have my inears in, and the volume control set to 'Ohhhhh, that's nice and clear and not very loud'...

• Like 5

On 21/11/2023 at 17:05, Woodinblack said:

Do you know, if you misread that as banana, it conjours up a whole different scenario...

A lot of USAnian bassists eat bananas at gigs. Their extended set times make them prone to cramp and bananas are touted as a cure because of their potassium content (yes I fell down the TB wormhole for a bit).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A lot of USAnian bassists eat bananas at gigs. 

I can't help thinking there is a whole world to open up there. "I'm on tour with Kiss, I'm the banana roadie"."Cool, I was fruit tech for Boston a while back"

End of derail - back to the thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I can't help thinking there is a whole world to open up there. "I'm on tour with Kiss, I'm the banana roadie"."Cool, I was fruit tech for Boston a while back"

End of derail - back to the thread!

Fruit Tech - in these health conscious times I reckon that`s a goer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rare mid-week gig for Hurtsfall last night at The Angel in Nottingham. 

This was actually our first proper "headlining" gig with support from Beck Stacey. Debdepan, Feather Trade all of whom were brilliant. With four bands playing, the evening over-ran slightly and there was no time left for us to do an encore even though there were requests for us to do one more. There were a couple of glitches one where it seemed like the whole PA cut out for a beat during one of the songs and our singer came in too early for the last verse of the last song, but I suspect most people didn't notice either. A decent turn out for a gig on a "school night" although not as packed as our last few. Nice to see plenty of familiar faces in the audience which means that we most definitely have a "following" now and also a lot of new ones, some of whom appeared to know the songs!

Hopefully photos will appear later on Facebook that I can repost.

That's it for Hurtsfall live for 2023. We'll be finishing off the "Christmas Song" this weekend for release as a single in early December, and working on other new songs for the gigs we already have arranged in 2024.

On Saturday I'll be back at The Angel with my other band, In Isolation, supporting B-Movie when I'm expecting the venue to be packed as tickets sold out weeks ago!

• Like 12

On 20/11/2023 at 16:13, Bluewine said:

THIS WEDNESDAY Thanksgiving Eve

Maple Road
Rockfield Music & Media
Rockfield  WI

We start at 7:00

BYOB
Don’t forget to bring your favorite beverage!

Daryl

IMG_20231015_124854.jpg

Very interesting venue. The living room  of a home is converted into a music venue.  Lots of Victorian furniture and Persian rugs. There's a nice bar.  

No liquor license, people bring their own booze. Very well attended. 

Personally I wasn’t feeling my playing. Something was off. 

Daryl

IMG_20231123_114500.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Very interesting venue. A retired school teacher converted the living room in his Victorian era home into a music venue.  Lots of Victorian furniture and Persian rugs. There's a nice bar. However, no liquor license, people bring their own booze. Very well attended. 

Personally I wasn’t feeling my playing. Something was off. The sound provided was questionable.  It was a 7-10 gig with a 15 minute commute. Pay wasn't that great, our band leader gave me $110.00.

Daryl

IMG_20231123_114500.jpg

Can I ask what the speaker looking thing behind the guitarist;'s right leg is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not a gig but next week i've booked a 3 hr rehearsal slot for the Glam covers band to run thru the Xmas songs we've not played for 11mths just in time for the first Xmas gig on 2nd Dec. WHOO HOO. :santa2:

Dave

We're playing it safe this year and just planning to do Slade on the 2nd and 9th December.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alant said:

We're playing it safe this year and just planning to do Slade on the 2nd and 9th December.

We'll be doing Xmas songs by Sweet, Slade, Wizzard with the Mud song being added this year too. Not sure how the Mud song will go down but our guitarists old band used to do it and it was a big hit with the audience so we'll give it a try. Relatively easy one to learn too.

Got gigs on 2nd, 16th, 22nd and 23rd Dec We have one on 31st but not sure Xmas songs will be suitable after 25th.  

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In Isolation will be playing our version of "I Believe In Father Christmas" at all our December gigs. There will be a CD single available to buy as well.

Good to hear a modern version of this amazing song. Enjoyed that a lot. 👍:hi:

Dave

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We'll be doing Xmas songs by Sweet, Slade, Wizzard with the Mud song being added this year too. Not sure how the Mud song will go down but our guitarists old band used to do it and it was a big hit with the audience so we'll give it a try. Relatively easy one to learn too.

Got gigs on 2nd, 16th, 22nd and 23rd Dec We have one on 31st but not sure Xmas songs will be suitable after 25th.  

Dave

We've played Wizzard and Mud ones in the past but with a different vocalist.

• Like 2