Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Our Train To Skaville gig on Saturday night at Trowbridge Conservative Club was excellent. Great crowd, danced to everything (even the soundcheck) and loved us to bits. Very very hot, I mean blistering -- my shirt and facetowel were both wringing wet by the end, if we play there again I'm taking a fan -- and thanks to the low ceiling and concrete floor, mahoosively loud too. At one point I took an earplug out, winced and put it straight back in. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Last night was our jam night.

As the venue was being used for another event earlier in the day, we were asked if we wanted to piggyback onto that band's extensive PA system and backline / drums. We gratefully said yes, thinking that it would save us a lot of carting of our own gear. Our guitarist and myself ended up bringing our own backline. Saves worry about what you're going to get.

The lights were really good too.
The only problem I had was that on our part of the night, our jam night, they insisted on using a smoke machine that was close to my bass rig. It makes the lights even more impressive.  Yes, but it f***s my voice up and we've got 3 gigs next week. I asked them to not use it. But the lights, they said. After a while, I switched it off, as I could feel the tell-tale signs of my throat getting scratchy. Other people weren't happy with the smoke machine either.

I switched it off.
After a bit they came up and said had I switched the smoke machine off? I said yes and told them why I had.
They weren't happy.
It went on again.
I went across the road to watch another singer in a pub across the road.
I sat outside in my car until I was required to finish off the night.

Afterwards they said something else about switching their smoke machine off, along the lines of it won't happen next time, will it?
I cheerfully said there won't be a next time. They will have to clear their stuff off the stage and out and they will have half an hour to do it in.

I know they meant well and that it was a very generous offer, but to cause someone to feel unwell at their own event by forcing them to put up with something that they have told they do not want to be used while they are onstage is not on.

My throat is like s*** today.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, WalMan said:

Definitely the S2. No idea about the S1, it’s red everywhere except the front of the neck, but I think so

IMG_0504.jpeg

EC076619-C29F-4876-88E7-D6A8056A271B.jpeg

Gorgeous basses.

Unusual bass rig set up too. Do you use both amps at same time or is one just a back up. ?

Had a Streamliner 600 years ago when they first came out. Wish i had kept it.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gorgeous basses.

Unusual bass rig set up too. Do you use both amps at same time or is one just a back up. ?

Had a Streamliner 600 years ago when they first came out. Wish i had kept it.

Dave

That set up was just messing about in the studio and I can't remember which amp went into which bit, but probably the Streamliner to the BB2 and Boogie to the One10's

For gigs I use either the One10’s or one or two (though not often) of the BB2’s. If I'm feeling up to it for the proggy gigs I might use one BB2 for bass and the other for basspedals (McMillen 12Step into either a soft synth on the iPad or a DSI MoPho)

The Boogie has gone now. I tend to use a Darkglass Microtubes 500 sat atop the Streamliner as a spare or for smaller venues an Aguilar Tonehammer 350 on either the One10's or a BB2. There's also an LH500 knocking around in a flight case though that's getting less use at the moment.

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 4

Got home at 3am from a wonderful Katy Hurt gig in Sheffield at Greystones, with the wonderful Joe Martin in support.

Last date for 2023, we started messing around with 3 new songs in the green room and they point to a bright 2024 if we can finish them off.

Receptive crowd, singing along to all the songs, even found myself signing things at the end which is a bit novel for the “new bloke” but very cool.

Zoot Funky 4 was the weapon of choice, through my TE1200 and a pair of Two10S cabs. Sounded blimmin marvellous.

Knackered now after a day at work and a hard yoga session just now 🤣

Edited by Merton
  • Like 15

12 hours ago, Muzz said:

A game of two halves this weekend: Friday night's gig was one of the regular ones we play, but the pub's not exactly thriving, and this week was just terrible; about a dozen people in, which dwindled to two by the end. We're gonna give it a miss till into the new year, if it's still open... 🙁

Guys, when you read all these gigs stories like me you can see a trend and there's a bit of a consensus. Live full band bar/pub business seems to be in big trouble. 

For any of you in bands playing pubs it's going to be rough. Of course they'll be exceptions, but overall I don't think the future is bright 

Daryl

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Last night was our jam night.

As the venue was being used for another event earlier in the day, we were asked if we wanted to piggyback onto that band's extensive PA system and backline / drums. We gratefully said yes, thinking that it would save us a lot of carting of our own gear. Our guitarist and myself ended up bringing our own backline. Saves worry about what you're going to get.

The lights were really good too.
The only problem I had was that on our part of the night, our jam night, they insisted on using a smoke machine that was close to my bass rig. It makes the lights even more impressive.  Yes, but it f***s my voice up and we've got 3 gigs next week. I asked them to not use it. But the lights, they said. After a while, I switched it off, as I could feel the tell-tale signs of my throat getting scratchy. Other people weren't happy with the smoke machine either.

I switched it off.
After a bit they came up and said had I switched the smoke machine off? I said yes and told them why I had.

We recently made a huge investment / upgrades to our sound and lighting which includes smoke machines stage left and right. I'm totally into it.

Daryl

IMG_20231015_125014.jpg

FB_IMG_1697392327880.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Merton said:

Got home at 3am from a wonderful Katy Hurt gig in Sheffield at Greystones, with the wonderful Joe Martin in support.

Last date for 2023, we started messing around with 3 new songs in the green room and they point to a bright 2024 if we can finish them off.

Receptive crowd, singing along to all the songs, even found myself signing things at the end which is a bit novel for the “new bloke” but very cool.

Zoot Funky 4 was the weapon of choice, through my TE1200 and a pair of Two10S cabs. Sounded blimmin marvellous.

Knackered now after a day at work and a hard yoga session just now 🤣

Can confirm it sounded pretty damned thunderous through my headphones on the videos! Hopefully next time you're up in this neck of the woods I'll have some cash and  can sort a babysitter so I can bring the missus as she loves a bit of country.

• Like 3

Late posting… Saturday 28th, 4 Play 😫 Drayman’s Arms, Spalding. Wife and gang of friends in attendance, and the locals who had been in since opening time.

Old drunk folks and the obligatory 7 year old wandering up to the mics etc. but we played really well overall. Here’s (hopefully) some Elvis:

I made some schoolboy errors on some well trodden songs but overall I played the bass nicely I think.

This band has come a LONG way from when I joined two years ago (new singer’s transformed things) and I’ve now gigged in 2023 more with them than my ‘main’ band. 

Fresh D’Addario Nickels > Fender Dimension > GK RB700 > Barefaced BB2.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We recently made a huge investment / upgrades to our sound and lighting which includes smoke machines stage left and right. I'm totally into it.

Daryl

Don't get me wrong. I love seeing a smoke machine at work, but not when I have it pumping cr@p at me while I have to sing for two hours.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

and the landlord of another venue was tehre who wanted to book us too, so I guess it was positive,

No guessing at all. You made the best of it you could and got a booking for your efforts. That other landlord probably only came in because he heard you from the street and wants some of that for his place.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Don't get me wrong. I love seeing a smoke machine at work, but not when I have it pumping cr@p at me while I have to sing for two hours.

The newer water based smoke machines shouldn't cause you any probs. I know the older oil based ones used to leave a coating of oil on anything near the smoke outlet but the new ones don't do that. Its more a water vapour. I have 2 smoke machines using water based fluid and our singers have no issues with them but to be fair i've not used them much in past few years.

Maybe i should fire them up again.

Dave

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I know they meant well and that it was a very generous offer, but to cause someone to feel unwell at their own event by forcing them to put up with something that they have told they do not want to be used while they are onstage is not on.

That is mad. I mean, who would even do that? 

• Like 1

Our BL's just bought one of the new gen of smoke machines, and I was initially alarmed to see he'd mounted it on one of the lighting rigs, and yeah, it is a daft thing to do, but despite flooding the stage with its effects, it wasn't like the coughing nightmares of the past, in fact it was barely noticeable...apart from the fact I couldn't see the drummer for a while...or the audience, come to that...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Late posting… Saturday 28th, 4 Play 😫 Drayman’s Arms, Spalding. Wife and gang of friends in attendance, and the locals who had been in since opening time.

Old drunk folks and the obligatory 7 year old wandering up to the mics etc. but we played really well overall. Here’s (hopefully) some Elvis:

I made some schoolboy errors on some well trodden songs but overall I played the bass nicely I think.

This band has come a LONG way from when I joined two years ago (new singer’s transformed things) and I’ve now gigged in 2023 more with them than my ‘main’ band. 

Fresh D’Addario Nickels > Fender Dimension > GK RB700 > Barefaced BB2.

Nice job Moley. Sounds good.

Daryl

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I get it. I'm new to working with smoke machines . I hope ours are water based like Dave mentioned.

Daryl

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I get it. I'm new to working with smoke machines . I hope ours are water based like Dave mentioned.

Daryl

Check the smoke nozzle Daryl. If it's oil based it'll have oil residue on the nozzle. If its water based it will be dry.

If it's oil based make sure not to point it towards anyone's gear as it will leave a residue on the gear.

Played a gig a few years ago and their smoke machine was oil based and it was right in front of my pedal board. I had to clean the full board when i got it home. I didn't spot  it until we were all set up and they fired it up.

Dave

• Like 1