Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

At the usual jam (which is supposed to be gypsy jazz) no guitarists turned up, but four horn players did. The result was more along the lines of this album (but nowhere near as good).
Interestingly, this changed sound caused an audience member to request contact info. for the "band" and the landlord to suggest we also played in another pub he manages.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 17/10/2023 at 13:46, dmccombe7 said:

I bought it mainly for the Glam band as wearing platform boots makes it too easy to trip over your lead and it gives me the freedom to move across to the guitarist for some head-banging stuff :laugh1:

Because its secured to my strap its just easier to use it every gig now.

Dave

Dave, I keep my Line 6 G50 transmitter in my front pocket . I have the strap clips, maybe I should switch over to clipping it to my strap?

Daryl

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, I keep my Line 6 G50 transmitter in my front pocket . I have the strap clips, maybe I should switch over to clipping it to my strap?

Daryl

I bought a Levy's pouch that attaches to my strap. Very secure too.

Dave

image.thumb.png.569e3c8f0d2a7f4db3258339ea49cf7e.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

I mean getting paid does take the sting off of a near-empty room a wee bit, but (and perhaps this is because I’m only just back into the scene), without the crowd it’s hard to enjoy the night. That’s why we play live, right? 

If I can find just one person in the audience (and most of the time there's usually one, no matter how small the crowd) who's listening with some interest, I play for them. If no-one at all is listening, I play for myself: I concentrate and play the very best I can, which is an achievement in itself: getting through a couple of hours of live playing without dropping a single note or a single beat or a single nuance and staying right in the pocket with the drummer is an achievement, and that's a good thing. I work on things like playing without looking, too. Then somebody pays me for having done that. It's all good, sometimes you just have to look a little harder...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 11

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

If you follow my posts, you know I'm not a " I'm not in it for the money" guy. Far from it. I need this extra money. I'm stashing away all my gig money to pay my annual property taxes.

I've had gigs that  I wasn't looking forward to. They become a "get out and go get that money" proposition only. Sad but true.

Blue

I'm the same, the extra money is definitely one of my main reasons for playing, although after the fun reasons. It's basically my fun money, funds for new gear, etc. as otherwise I'd be able to pay for necessities and not a lot else. This is why I'm the person in our band putting the effort in to find new gigs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I'm the same, the extra money is definitely one of my main reasons for playing, although after the fun reasons. It's basically my fun money, funds for new gear, etc. as otherwise I'd be able to pay for necessities and not a lot else. This is why I'm the person in our band putting the effort in to find new gigs.

Yes, while the extra money is crucial a gig is always going to be fun. Even the bad gigs.

Having an extra $400.00 -$ 500.00 after a weekend is fun too.

Daryl

• Like 2

More of a how was your gig this week- a run of 9-5 at the local 400 seat theatre. All the other shows I’ve done this year have been Rogers and Hammerstein so it’s great to get some decent lines and there’s loads of different genres in the show- plus THAT figure- a lot. First show I’ve done on click. As ever in-ears/ click are a blessing and a curse, when it works it’s brilliant, if it’s slightly wrong, and the tech crew have had difficulties on the company’s budget, it’s a proper ballache. Sound man had complimented the envelope filter however, as I remind myself each night to turn it on. 

IMG_3989.jpeg

• Like 14

On 18/10/2023 at 22:06, knirirr said:

At the usual jam (which is supposed to be gypsy jazz) no guitarists turned up, but four horn players did. The result was more along the lines of this album (but nowhere near as good).
Interestingly, this changed sound caused an audience member to request contact info. for the "band" and the landlord to suggest we also played in another pub he manages.

Sounds like an opportunity worth pursuing. If people ask to hear you again, you must have been doing something worthwhile. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,,

Where can I get that Levi pouch? Link?

Daryl

This link is for the UK Amazon page Daryl and for some odd reason its showing the black version. Its the MM14 one i have but they do others depending on your wireless transmitter size. Think your Line 6 one is similar to my Shure transmitter. Might tell you on the description somewhere.

Dave

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08VZ5YJ7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 1

Our set seemed to go down well at last night’s Jam Night - the crowd joining in and plenty of good comments.  We had 2 or 3 new bands turned up, including one from one of the local sixth form colleges for whom it was only their 2nd time playing live.  It’s good to see kids performing live and looking like they are enjoying it.  Which is more than can be said for me in this one - I was having to concentrate too much on the bass line, so forgot to provide much in the way of backing vocals and didn’t manage to smile once😃😃😃.

https://youtu.be/n_CpuEX8P3g?si=2NKuvaoqPktgdt8q

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 11

Seemed to go down really well, plenty of mistakes on my part, especially the brain fart where I completely blanked the intro to one song. 

Played our new song for the first time live, and that went down really well.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 7

We played a surreal event at a golf club last night. German pop 'music', picnic benches indoors, bangers and mash, some people in fancy dress, oh, and us in a big empty room while the punters sat in an adjacent room watching rugby. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

We did our 2Young2Old gig at my favourite old dive downtown again. One of the founding guitar players has returned to Boston to finish his music degree , so we have a new youngin in the lineup , things went well. No real rehearsal , just a list of songs to listen to. We’ll be back at the end of next month. 
And try to get a real rehearsal in too.

The kids are enthusiastic , jumping up on tables and stuff. The old guys don’t have to bother with that. 
It works.

IMG_9375.jpeg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, msb said:

We did our 2Young2Old gig at my favourite old dive downtown again. One of the founding guitar players has returned to Boston to finish his music degree , so we have a new youngin in the lineup , things went well. No real rehearsal , just a list of songs to listen to. We’ll be back at the end of next month. 
And try to get a real rehearsal in too.

The kids are enthusiastic , jumping up on tables and stuff. The old guys don’t have to bother with that. 
It works.

IMG_9375.jpeg

I have been following your posts for some time and I was in Halifax a month ago on a holiday trip and was hoping to see one of your gigs at Bearly's. Unfortunately I came down with a very nasty variety of Covid and had to change my plans and make my way back home to Ontario, both my partner and I are still suffering from the lingering effects of this miserable disease. She had been to Bearly's a few years ago with a friend from Halifax and was hoping to go again on this trip. Maybe next time...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yey I can join in again!

I had my first gig with my originals band Genius the Fool  last night. I’ve only rehearsed with the full band once, so luckily this was a small gig for a charity event and more like a live rehearsal really. It went really well. Pleased with the bass sound through my rig, we didn’t bother with DI from my board or amp as it was plenty big enough and we have all sorts of sequencers and samplers going into the PA so I don’t even think there was room on the desk!

Allegedly this band play pretty big venues normally so it was nice to have an easy one first and we raised about £400 for charidee. 

IMG_7037.jpeg

• Like 18

First time out with a new band. Fair to say we were under rehearsed having suffered line up changes in the run up to the gig, but we got away with it.

The wheels fell off a couple of times but we muddled through, the punters loved it and we got paid. 

• Like 15

We had a paid rehearsal last night.  This was at the Bricklayers Arms, High Wycombe.  Everyone was in the pub for the rugby, so we decided to start our first set as soon as the match finished.  It was all going well until about three minutes from the end when South Africa overtook England.  The atmosphere in the pub vanished and at the final whistle most people packed up and went home.  We ended up playing to 5 people, or 7 if you count the bar staff.  If England had won it would have been a different story.

I've never been to this pub before, our singer, who is local-ish, said he thinks they are trying to set themselves up as a music venue.  I got the impression this was a bit of a country pub and everyone there could walk home, so not much footfall.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6