Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I find it very easy to play.  The upper strap button is on the heel of the neck and, being graced with a generous middle region, I find it does tilt the bass a bit forward but not terminally.  Slight neck dive on this one but the strap takes care of that.  I find the neck and short scale very much to my liking. Weighs 7lbs on the nose.

Sound - if you do FB here is a link to a song where the bass comes though.  Nice and growly.  EQ has a bass and treble 11 o'clock, upper mids 1 o'clock, low mids 2 o'clock, all with a slight push from a mild drive. This is on a TC Spectradrive straight into the desk.  Strings are TI Flats :) 

https://www.facebook.com/Octaneblues/videos/841825534314028

That has that old Jack Bruce tone. So nice and very vintage tone. 

I may have the return of GAS. 

Great vid clip too.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Merton said:

Awesome.

A relatively last-minute booking for Katy Hurt at Buck’n’Bull London - essentially they put on Country/Americana themed nights and forgot they needed a band! A sold out show at Phantom Peaks in Surrey Quays (what an absolute pig to get to!) and an amazing crowd. The only spoilers were me messing up a couple of tunes (I blame jet lag) and my rig cutting out during our encore. Some investigation needed today - I think it’s a dodgy input socket to my pedalboard.

Bur other than that, what an immense night it was. We have footage from at least 3 angles and hopefully we can get a live video of a song or two from it 🤓

IMG_1027.thumb.jpeg.df65a051ff9832dbc502f0d50553632c.jpeg

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.959f56f0d4bd3d81f32c64b40eef8bdb.jpeg

A little footage for you all to watch/ignore as you see fit :)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxi2ve-M-dp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 6

We played Viking Fest on Saturday which was basically a big wake for a guy known as Viking on that particular festival scene. We went on at 10:30 and played until midnight. I was already too tired when we went on! We play a few festivals at this venue Hilcote Country Club and I really don't like it. You're set up on the dance floor, then there are some steps up to a higher level where some people sit but you can't really see them. Anyway, a low pressure gig and it's always fun to play. 

• Like 8

Great gig yesterday at the castle hotel Aberystwyth 5 till 8. Llinos the landlady had live bands on every week and there's always a good pub turnout who come for just that. They're always very appreciative. Our drummer has covid so we had a brilliant stand-in who's only played with us once before but if you mumble the first line to him before starting her gets the feel and the groove straight away. Hats off to David Spivek!

• Like 10

Road trip from darkest Essex to Stevenage on Saturday evening to play for the Lytton Players Am-dram theatre group's 75th anniversary party. Quite a nice venue (golf club), food provided and easy load in. The theatre group sold fewer tickets than expected (apparently some of them wanted a posh 'do' with live entertainment but didn't want to pay for it), so we played to fewer people than we initially hoped for, but those who came enjoyed themselves and danced the night away and we enjoyed playing for them.

I took the lead on sound check and set the gains properly to allow for more headroom (the last gig everything was set much too hot and feeding back), and eq'd a couple of things better. End result was a much better sound in the room. I think we're finally getting there with the ampless setup - going direct with IEMs.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Enjoyed that.  A bit rockier than I was expecting, kind of Faith Hill meets Whitesnake.  Lovely bass tone, too - what is the pathway?

Thanks!

Signal path is pretty simple:

Zoot Funkmeister -> HX Effects with a smidge of “tube” compression and the SansAmp sim -> Trace Elliot TE1200 DI’d pre-EQ into the PA. Sounded rather lovely I have to say.

Sorry to those without Instagram, you’ll just have to imagine how awesome we are 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Merton said:

Thanks!

Signal path is pretty simple:

Zoot Funkmeister -> HX Effects with a smidge of “tube” compression and the SansAmp sim -> Trace Elliot TE1200 DI’d pre-EQ into the PA. Sounded rather lovely I have to say.

Sorry to those without Instagram, you’ll just have to imagine how awesome we are 😆

The description of Faith Hill and Whitesnake had me imagine all sorts of wonderful things. All good to be fair. Anyone that sounds anything like Whitesnake must be pretty good.

Dave

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The description of Faith Hill and Whitesnake had me imagine all sorts of wonderful things. All good to be fair. Anyone that sounds anything like Whitesnake must be pretty good.

Dave

I told the band and Gab (the guitarist) said he’d pay to see that band … I reminded him he could carry on being paid to be in it 😄

Edited by Merton
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Duo gig Sunday afternoon left me with a mild back ache. 3 hours standing playing bass and vocals, with a short break in the middle. 40 songs. I guess I’m getting old. I used to that and more without any problems when I were a younger lad. Great receptive crowd made it for us though. 

• Like 10