Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played at a 40th wedding anniversary last night, conveniently held in the local hall where we rehearse. First half was a bit subdued as there had been a bereavement in the family who were celebrating, (they had asked us to keep the set up-beat regardless) and they had a short 'celebration of life' during our break. The second set was like playing to a different audience - dancing, singing and general running about from the kids (and our singer, who is very good at running around). We must have played the longest version of 'Hey Jude' ever as everyone wanted to sing along at the end. One of those gigs that, in the Great Scheme of Things wouldn't have registered, but was immensely fun to play. 

P Bass into front of house, with a feed to my little TCE BAM 200 and Warwick 1x12 cab for the drummer, while I was using in ears from the desk.

DSCG0340.thumb.jpg.2f6a2136bde757c5b415958282f1ab36.jpg

DSCG0366.thumb.jpg.611d9fd988fdb51d7e78396950c77dad.jpg

DSCG0404.thumb.jpg.8eb0dd019129361bd4e0bec8cd3fa62b.jpg

• Like 10

Decent gig playing the Horn in St Albans as we do four times a year. Bit of a smaller crowd this time but very energetic and up for it. I forgot my iPad stand so had to prop it on the floor and go from memory which was very liberating. Forgot to put in my ear plugs for the second half and have the headache to prove it this morning!

• Like 5

It wasn't easy, the stage and gear question was 1,5 hour later than is should end and we had to play without soundcheck. I was so could that night, i saw my breath all the time, but all ended up normal.

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 4

20 dwindled down to 3 by the end.  Bar staff so keen to get the place closed that they helped us load out.  What an odd night, grateful for the 3 who stuck around to the bitter end but have to chalk this one down as a bit of a bust.

Oh well, private birthday party next weekend, I hope the birthday boy has lots of friends.  We'll even accept casual acquaintances! :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Two nights at the Capitol Centre in North Bay Ontario again this year where I play bass in a band in a musical that was done like an old time radio drama in a building that housed the first radio station in the city. The show is about the Dionne Quintuplets who were born nearby and is a slightly longer version of the production that ran last year. This year I even had a minor speaking part in front of the curtain just before the show started, I gave a short history of the theatre and explained how radio dramas were done, lots of fun.

Not a full house but a good crowd and the show went of with only a few hitches and the band was just about perfect. Unlike last year I also have a couple of solos under dialogue or as song intros and last night I nailed them, looking forward to tonight's show. My Shen SB100 sounded fantastic through the house system, excellent technicians and very good equipment. 😊

IMG_0581.jpg

• Like 17

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Had a FANTASTIC gig tonight at O'Neills Leicester - the place was packed otut, everybody up and dancing and singing, they were bouncing off the walls by the end.

Prooper "This is why we do it" type of gig.

Happy!

Nice one! What band was that? I’m down there next Saturday. Glad it was a good ‘un! 

• Like 2

We played the Alice's Wicked Tea Party festival last night.  There's scant information about this online, but it's an independent event held in a big field located equidistant between Corfe Castle and Wareham in Dorset.

The site has two barns about 20m apart, each with a full stage set up; while one stage is busy, the other is setting up.  The barns are both draped in camo and parachute silks.  Line checks only and finger's crossed.  We had an incredible sound guy, who said he were the best band of the weekend (so far...).  Fantastic PA system in both barns.

45 minute set, I'd say 175-200 people in for us.  Very appreciative and responsive.  

Took my Lull and Darkglass kit.  Post-DI.  Tone was nice and gnarly.  My wife was out front and she said we were a firm 8/10.  (I've dragged her along to enough gigs and if we were sh*t, she wouldn't hesitate in saying so.)

Two hour drive home.  Nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

IMG-20230604-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d76eccd11629f49decb1873f5658c7ec.jpg

• Like 14

Just now, StingRayBoy42 said:

The Dysfunctionals - typical saturday night pub stuff.

Hope you have as good a night as we did!

Cool. Yeah on a good night the O’Neills crowd are well up for a singalong and dance about. I do a lot of wedding/theatre stuff at the moment but loud sweaty pub gigs are still sometimes the best ones!

• Like 2

We finished off our Northern trilogy with gigs in Bridlington and York.

The Bridlington gig was at The Spa theatre, a full house and a glorious day.

Fairly local gig for me, so home by midnight, with a full moon lighting the way.

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_3195.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

• Like 11

My band 'Shreds.' had our show at The Fulford Arms on Sunday of last week (sorry, I've been busy and didn't manage to post this until now!).  My family also came to York and listened to the show, but before the soundcheck we went around the city and made a short family trip out of it.

The venue in York was really great, one of the best we've played so far.  Ample parking right out back, great 'backstage' rooms upstairs for the bands complete with a stocked fridge and we were told to help ourselves. 

The sound guy was super easygoing and helpful.  We record all of our shows live and sometimes this can cause complications (some sound guys consider this a very unwelcome intrusion/disruption and huff and puff about it).  I bring some mics, my laptop running Reaper, and a 4U rack with 24 digital preamp channels and a transformer-isolated XLR splitter.  We record guitar and bass using DI only, and then I re-amp and mix everything when I get back home.  The Fulford Arms sound guy helped patch things into my splitter and didn't complain about it. 

This was only our 6th show,. but probably the best performance yet.  The last few shows we've been saying the same thing... "best show yet!".  As a band, we learn so much by listening to our show recordings... I give the drummer isolated tracks and he studies them.  Sometimes ad-lib comments or lyrics by our vocalist sound great, and we can deliberately insert them into the next show.  As a bassist, I hear every mistake and try to fix it the next time around.

Shreds_TheFulfordArms.jpeg

• Like 14

York Grand Opera House last night. Another of my favourite gigs!
Beautiful day in this great city, with Pride festival making it extra busy.

Combined with the Derby and the Cup final, plenty of folk enjoying the

sun and the beer along the riverside area near the theatre. 
The gig went really well, another capacity crowd well up for a good night.

Our sound guy Paul did well with the old fashioned theatre’s acoustics and the band

played great (although I had to take over the lead vocals on ‘Roll over Beethoven’

to give our singer Andy a break). Home by 11.30pm too, result!
All in all a great weekend of gigs, and a lot of happy punters.

IMG_3201.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

We played the Alice's Wicked Tea Party festival last night.  There's scant information about this online, but it's an independent event held in a big field located equidistant between Corfe Castle and Wareham in Dorset.

The site has two barns about 20m apart, each with a full stage set up; while one stage is busy, the other is setting up.  The barns are both draped in camo and parachute silks.  Line checks only and finger's crossed.  We had an incredible sound guy, who said he were the best band of the weekend (so far...).  Fantastic PA system in both barns.

45 minute set, I'd say 175-200 people in for us.  Very appreciative and responsive.  

Took my Lull and Darkglass kit.  Post-DI.  Tone was nice and gnarly.  My wife was out front and she said we were a firm 8/10.  (I've dragged her along to enough gigs and if we were sh*t, she wouldn't hesitate in saying so.)

Two hour drive home.  Nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

IMG-20230604-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d76eccd11629f49decb1873f5658c7ec.jpg

Nice bass rig there. How are you finding it. First time i've seen one in a live gig situation to be honest.

Dave

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice bass rig there. How are you finding it. First time i've seen one in a live gig situation to be honest.

Dave

I'd been wanting to run a twin 1x12 set up for a while.  Cabs are great tonally and more than capable.  Lightweight, generally leave the tweeter/horn on the midway setting.  The AO900 head took a long while to bond with; I'm happy enough now.  Post-DI to the desk, only run it to about 25% live, which is more than enough.

My only criticism of last night is more my fault; the output on this bass is super-hot, it's got a John East on it, so need to do some set up tweaks (pickups down or adjust the output down on the East, which I'm sure is an option).

• Thanks 1

Local pub tonight (like, took me 3 minutes to drive home local), but had never been there before. only reason we got the gig was our singer went in to ask if they had rehursal space - they didn't but they did have gigs. I wasnt' sure what to expect, the place looked small, and when we set up it was right against the bar, so the drummer went in the corner and the rest of us were out from there (looking at other band pictures there, that is what everyone does). Really easy setup and by the time we started quite a crowd.

We played well and the crowd were enthusiastic and energetic.

Great night, they overpaid us and asked us back for their leaving night do in December.

There is some video they shot but its on facebook, so no idea if people would be able to see it or not!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

My only criticism of last night is more my fault; the output on this bass is super-hot, it's got a John East on it, so need to do some set up tweaks (pickups down or adjust the output down on the East, which I'm sure is an option).

There is a trim pot on the John East pre amps, at least there is on the two I have in my Charvel PJs.  So you can wind it down to the lowest output and it will still be really hot.  Every now and again I start to doubt myself and think maybe the trimpot works anti clockwise and I've maxed mine out!

• Thanks 1