Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Outdoor Bandeoke in a tiny village near Devizes.

Well attended, well mannered punters, played a couple of tunes new to me which is always fun/hair raising (delete as applicable). 

Only real drawback was the mud shod members of the great unwashed tramping over my cables.

Absolutely beshitted by the end of the night.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Coronation celebration in a pub in High Wycombe.  We were supposed to be playing in the garden but rain stopped that.  Not many punters in but we've been asked back so we must have done something right.

IMG_0655.JPG

I'm curious about what the 2 white bags are in front of the bass drum and what bass you're using there.

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm curious about what the 2 white bags are in front of the bass drum and what bass you're using there.

Dave

Two bags of salt.  Our drummer complained about the bass drum gradually moving away from him during the first few songs.  The floor had no carpet, it was just floorboards so to stop it slipping he acquired a couple of bags of salt from the management.

The bass is a Balaguer Select series Goliath.  I got it from Guitarguitar in Newcastle a couple of years ago.  Lovely to look at and play, however, I don't play it as much as I should, generally preferring my Charvels, but yesterday I thought I'd put it to work. Here is the NBD thread I started when I bought it.

• Thanks 1

A good one last night with a very appreciative  and engaging crowd. We secured another booking later on this summer and a further booking for another club as one of their bookers was visiting friends. 

I gigged my Sandberg for the first time and loved it, especially the weight!

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

..... And which pub  (I used to live in HW ) ?

😎

The Flint Cottage, just by the train station.  They put up an awful sounding clip of us on their Facebook page, so here is something better:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

A good one last night with a very appreciative  and engaging crowd. We secured another booking later on this summer and a further booking for another club as one of their bookers was visiting friends. 

I gigged my Sandberg for the first time and loved it, especially the weight!

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

I do sometimes drool over the Sandberg basses on the bass direct website; that looks really nice.

How do you find the GR cab?  I know they are meant to be really light but how do they sound?

Friday night at The Old Star, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, with Night Shift the covers band. The pub has a nicely set-up stage with plenty of power sockets and lights in-situ. The disadvantage is that it’s in an outside courtyard area which means it can get chilly plus there’s a 10.30 noise curfew to keep the neighbours sweet.

We went down well, with plenty of good feedback even though the hard-drinking audience were slow to get going. On the photo you can’t see the left-side guitarist’s instrument. He has a lovely Vigier that he’s totally obsessed with keeping in mint condition. The only time it comes out if its hard case is when he’s going to play. Between sets - back in the case. I dread to think what he’s going to be like when it gets the, inevitable, first ding. 

4FEBCBFC-F2A7-4ABB-9505-E83BACC70FD9.jpeg

• Like 12

Not a gig but an open bluegrass jam at a campground that hosts a couple of bluegrass festivals in the summer. I'm primarily a jazz player on DB but a mandolin player saw me at a jazz gig last year and wondered if I would like to play some bluegrass. We got together to jam a few times before he left to spend the winter in Florida and have jammed a few times since he returned but this was my first big jam and it was a good experience. My little 70"s Czech ply bass was overwhelmed at times by as many as 4 mandolins, four guitars, a banjo and singers but it went well. Another bass player was there with an absolute cannon of a bass and we took turns playing since two basses just won't work in this situation. There were about 15 musicians and they just dropped in and played and then took a break, very informal. I knew some of the songs and since I play guitar I could follow the guitar players and didn't mess up too badly. The hardest part was to just keep things simple and keep the tempo steady, when the other instruments get a solo they often speed up and I had to apply the brakes a few times. Good fun and I'll do this again.😊

• Like 10

I too was involved in a coronation garden party performance; a gig at 13:00 at such an event (Charlbury), then off to a rehearsal for a show next week, then to another pub gig (Royal Oak at Ramsden) for a gig at 18:00.
If you play in that latter pub and are over 6' tall take care when hurrying out of the bar to the car park; I missed the first two of three sets due to sitting in an ambulance dealing with the head wound obtained from that door frame, having ducked enough for the first one but not for the sneaky second frame just behind it...

BigLunch-332.jpg

Edited by knirirr
  • Like 13

Picked up a late cancellation at the world famous Trillians in Newcastle upon Tyne, and managed to fill the place with friends, family and likeminded lovers of southern rock. Safe to say our best gig of the year so far 😎

IMG_7742.jpeg

• Like 15

Just back home for a few days after the first 4 magical dates of our 'Bootleg Rock Show feat. Leather & Lace' tour..... great venues, enthusiastic audiences and a wonderful atmosphere throughout!

Stevenage Gordon Craig Theatre, East Grinstead Chequer Mead, Epsom Playhouse and Weston Super Mare Playhouse....

FB_IMG_1683214613517.jpg

IMG-20230507-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230507-WA0040.jpg

IMG-20230507-WA0032.jpg

• Like 19

Wow! I can't top that from down here in Dorset... I won't even try! Anyway, down here in West Bay (Dorset) I'm a member of a committee that arranges several mini-festivals every year to raise money for local good causes. We held our first one yesterday (Pirates' Day) in that one-day nice weather window that made it possible; the fact that we have a vicar on the committee seems to have helped many times - rumour has it that he has a quiet word beforehand with his CEO on our behalf!

I look after the band bookings as well as being the treasurer, so I can make sure that everyone gets paid a fair fee on the day. We featured six bands;

• Nina Garcia (ultra-talented local singer/fiddle-player with backing tracks)  
  • Howling at the Moon - Pop-Rock Folk outfit
  • Turnette Doone - Amazing pop/Rock trio (I've never before heard a rocked up version of Andy Williams' 'Can't take my Eyes Off of You' segued with a full Bohemian Rhapsody cover!)
  • Ironhide - very popular metal band from Weymouth
  • Mustang Sally - my lot, 5-piece with soul/pop/rock covers
  • What the Phunk - seven-piece funk outfit

So we had two stages, six great sets from 14:00-23:00, many hundreds of punters, raised a lot of money for those good causes nd had a good time. 

Had the pleasure of meeting a Basschatter in person for the first time - Turnette Doone's Phil, aka Alfie Noakes, so as a thank-you here's a pic of his outfit in action:

IMAG9327.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2023 at 14:29, BillyBass said:

I do sometimes drool over the Sandberg basses on the bass direct website; that looks really nice.

How do you find the GR cab?  I know they are meant to be really light but how do they sound?

I've got one. They sound awesome and are very efficient = loud.

• Like 1

Well, we did a local coronation party yesterday. I think it would have been better if we had gone on at 6 rather than 8, as by 8 a lot of people from the afternoon had gone, but the main issue is that by 9:30 it was dark, I only have a couple of little lights to light up the area, and we were playing to an area of blackness. We knew the crowd were out there, as they clapped etc, but we couldn't see them.

After a few songs in the second half we turned one light to the audience, so at least we could see their shadowy figures and tell that they were dancing, but it was kind of weird. It was getting a bit chilly towards the end though, but not complaining as both saturday and monday would have been much worse, at least it was dry and warmer. A local event over the hill had fireworks that managed to sync nicely with one of our songs

Afterwards we had lots of nice comments and people seemed happy.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Gasman said:

Wow! I can't top that from down here in Dorset... I won't even try! Anyway, down here in West Bay (Dorset) I'm a member of a committee that arranges several mini-festivals every year to raise money for local good causes. We held our first one yesterday (Pirates' Day) in that one-day nice weather window that made it possible; the fact that we have a vicar on the committee seems to have helped many times - rumour has it that he has a quiet word beforehand with his CEO on our behalf!

I look after the band bookings as well as being the treasurer, so I can make sure that everyone gets paid a fair fee on the day. We featured six bands;

• Nina Garcia (ultra-talented local singer/fiddle-player with backing tracks)  
  • Howling at the Moon - Pop-Rock Folk outfit
  • Turnette Doone - Amazing pop/Rock trio (I've never before heard a rocked up version of Andy Williams' 'Can't take my Eyes Off of You' segued with a full Bohemian Rhapsody cover!)
  • Ironhide - very popular metal band from Weymouth
  • Mustang Sally - my lot, 5-piece with soul/pop/rock covers
  • What the Phunk - seven-piece funk outfit

So we had two stages, six great sets from 14:00-23:00, many hundreds of punters, raised a lot of money for those good causes nd had a good time. 

Had the pleasure of meeting a Basschatter in person for the first time - Turnette Doone's Phil, aka Alfie Noakes, so as a thank-you here's a pic of his outfit in action:

IMAG9327.jpg

Thanks for the photo and nice words, Gasman. It was an honour to be your first ‘Basschatter in the flesh’ but I’m sure you’ll like any of others on here too, if and when you meet them. Also, thanks for an unusually well organised festival - the stories of previous shambles elsewhere deserves its own thread. 

Sorry we couldn’t hang around for your set, but after three gigs in three days at our age, bed rest and the medicine from matron was well overdue 😎

Ey Up Mi Duck festival near Doncaster on Friday night (late, I know). We were last on and the tent was absolutely packed. I'd guess around 800 people or so. We played an hour and 15 minutes and they went absolutely mad for it. Ace gig. Here's a photo of the rest of the band as it's all I could find. Credit to Martin Borrett Photography https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087496146690

344730280_798642335020834_2505772521508671874_n.thumb.jpg.22afe10b17de4617ad8a0cffb568a1d1.jpg

• Like 14