Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

The Cave in Paisley Glasgow 6-9pm with the punk covers band. Start was fairly quiet with just about 12-15 people there but as we got intothe first set more people came in. Not what i call busy but an appreciative audience. 9pm finish means kebab shop on way home and back in the house for 11pm.

Job done mmmmmmm.

Dave

• Like 9

Redonizm was back on "The Rock" (aka Canvey Island) Saturday night.  A new venue for us, and first live band for them. The venue next door frequently has live music and this one was losing customers, so they've decided to bring some competition to the market, which is a good thing for everyone. We went into it expecting it to be a little quiet, but we got a decent sized crowd, including some friends and family and it turned out to be a fun evening.  We were a guitarist down, so the other guitarist who usually doubles on keyboard just played guitar all night (making him happy bunny).  He added a boss synth pedal to his rig for some extra texture, and loaded up a few samples, chords and sounds to an Alesis sample pad that one of the two singers triggered. This solution worked great and meant we could still play some of the pop and dance tunes we normally play when we have the keyboard. Otherwise, the set would have been more rock orientated.

The only potential issue was being informed about the dreaded decibel meter upon arrival. It was installed by the council after complaints from someone who had moved into a flat above the bar (this really grinds my gears - it's not as if someone was living there already and their flat was jacked up and slid the bar in underneath!). It was quite a sensitive meter too, I reckon just a heated debate could set it off. Luckily, only one socket was wired into it and after some furniture rearrangement, we plugged in elsewhere. Sorted.

Oh, and a well behaved audience this time. No fights!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 7

Village Hall benefit gig: not my village but playing for free. Completely knackered and felt I was a couple of BPM slow on everything but I think the lead guitarist had been drinking RedBull all day: he was hyper, so maybe he was pushing the pace more than usual.

First time I had gigged with new (to me)  Warwick Gnome iPro/Barefaced Two10 rig. I also decided on a whim to use my Vox Starstream instead of the usual P/J. I also use a Boss wireless system. Half way through the third number I started cutting out. It wasn’t clipping: Gain and EQ at 12 o’clock, Master hardly on. I did a quick round of pushing all the jack plugs in, checking I hadn’t accidentally engaged the tuner pedal, etc: still cutting in and out. Finally I turned the wireless sender in the bass’ jack socket. Normal service resumed. I can only assume that it hadn’t quite seated enough for the little battery saver switch to engage fully. It was a relief, as I had feared the iPro (I had bought off fleaBay) had an intermittent fault. All was good for the rest of the evening, so it seems to be OK 🤞.

The gig was well received, so all is well that ends well.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

It was quite a sensitive meter too, I reckon just a heated debate could set it off. Luckily, only one socket was wired into it and after some furniture rearrangement, we plugged in elsewhere. Sorted.

We did that once in a club - ran a very long cable out through the window to the outhouse. As you say, sorted! 😃

I've been a bit lax with this thread lately but Friday's gig was ace. The Great British Alternative Festival at Butlins in Skegness. I've never even been to a Butlins let alone a festival at one so the whole thing was pretty bizarre to me. We were first on at 4pm on the 2nd stage, and after a 3.5hr journey there and feeling pretty ill, I didn't have high hopes. The venue was not what I was expecting at all, like some sort of giant shopping centre food court or something, but the stage was plenty big enough. The sound was ace and we went down well. There must have been 1000 people there

310455616_1518050361994843_6520506801595182214_n.thumb.jpg.ea05dd77ad5995e50a0e46f06d1080d2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I've been a bit lax with this thread lately but Friday's gig was ace. The Great British Alternative Festival at Butlins in Skegness. I've never even been to a Butlins let alone a festival at one so the whole thing was pretty bizarre to me. We were first on at 4pm on the 2nd stage, and after a 3.5hr journey there and feeling pretty ill, I didn't have high hopes. The venue was not what I was expecting at all, like some sort of giant shopping centre food court or something, but the stage was plenty big enough. The sound was ace and we went down well. There must have been 1000 people there

310455616_1518050361994843_6520506801595182214_n.thumb.jpg.ea05dd77ad5995e50a0e46f06d1080d2.jpg

Hey, my lot played that stage at 6pm on the Fri. We had a brilliant time and were well recieved. Loud cheers, people singing along and a decent amount of merch sold. The chap running the stage complimented my rig and bass tone, which felt great.

IMG-20221002-WA0014.jpg

• Like 5

We played that stage in 2016, didn’t know what to expect as it was an Introducing Stage but were very pleasantly surprised, both with the size of the stage and of the audience, 4:30 on a Friday afternoon and it was packed. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not a huge crowd last night, but very appreciative.

Three basses is a lot, but sound frombthe terror/AT212 was grest with new or nearly new strings on all three.

What 3 basses were you using ?

Dave

35 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

the jazz was at the top of its game.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again the flea jazz is a cracking bass. Those pure vintage 64 pickups produce great tone and I prefer the VTVT controls 

• Like 2

Just got in from my Spacewasters gig at The Escape Bar in Shepherds Bush. Nice venue, parking in the road next to it, proper storage area for equipment, decent stage, provided backline and turned out I knew the guys running the gig and sound, and the headline band as well. All of this made for what we hoped would be a good gig and it was. The provided bass amp sounded great but cut out a few times, however as I was DI’d from my Sansamp it was only the band that noticed. We played well, had a good few people (mainly ladies) dancing, which is an achievement in itself when you’re playing originals. Turns out the guys running the evening loved us so looking forward to a return. Oh and am already in, having just had a free Double Cheeseburger from McDonalds courtesy of my points from the app. Life be good!

• Like 9

Dep holiday-park gig with function band last night in Bournemouth. Made a weekend of it and stayed over with my nephew who lives here. I was sent the set list a while ago (1 x 60mins) and wrote out some notes, & lyric cribs for my lead vocal songs. Got to the venue, set up, sound checked, and then found out that the venue were expecting 2 x 45s... booking agent còck-up somewhere along the line. Cue a frantic scramble through their repertoire, trying to find another half hour of tunes I and the other dep knew or could busk... 

Anyway, it worked out ok in the end. The punters loved it, the management were well pleased, and our busked half hour was decent enough that no-one noticed. I've played with them before but never with this particular guitarist, he was getting a lovely sound from his battered old Strat and tiny valve combo... turns out he was Muddy Manninen from Wishbone Ash.

PSX_20221009_095708.jpg

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got in from my Spacewasters gig at The Escape Bar in Shepherds Bush. Nice venue, parking in the road next to it, proper storage area for equipment, decent stage, provided backline and turned out I knew the guys running the gig and sound, and the headline band as well. All of this made for what we hoped would be a good gig and it was. The provided bass amp sounded great but cut out a few times, however as I was DI’d from my Sansamp it was only the band that noticed. We played well, had a good few people (mainly ladies) dancing, which is an achievement in itself when you’re playing originals. Turns out the guys running the evening loved us so looking forward to a return. Oh and am already in, having just had a free Double Cheeseburger from McDonalds courtesy of my points from the app. Life be good!

I've got a gig the Escape Bar next month, glad to hear it's a good venue. Thanks for the tip on the house bass amp - sounds like I should bring my own.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rich said:

Dep holiday-park gig with function band last night in Bournemouth. Made a weekend of it and stayed over with my nephew who lives here. I was sent the set list a while ago (1 x 60mins) and wrote out some notes, & lyric cribs for my lead vocal songs. Got to the venue, set up, sound checked, and then found out that the venue were expecting 2 x 45s... booking agent còck-up somewhere along the line. Cue a frantic scramble through their repertoire, trying to find another half hour of tunes I and the other dep knew or could busk... 

Anyway, it worked out ok in the end. The punters loved it, the management were well pleased, and our busked half hour was decent enough that no-one noticed. I've played with them before but never with this particular guitarist, he was getting a lovely sound from his battered old Strat and tiny valve combo... turns out he was Muddy Manninen from Wishbone Ash.

PSX_20221009_095708.jpg

Wish I had been around to see this!

• Like 1

The Rigger in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Saturday. We'd capped it at 200 and it sold out. The sound check took a full hour due to never ending broken cables and channels. I think the venue need to spend some money on the gear! Then when it was time for us to go on, the two DIs had been moved so the guitarist didn't know which guitar to plug into which DI. It's always frustrating sitting there behind the kit, raring to go, and having to wait for other people to get their sh*t together!

The supports were both ace and well received, but the crowd went crazy for the whole of our 1.5 hr set. Middle aged moshing never looked so dangerous and there were a couple of moments I wondered whether I should stop playing, but apparently no-one was injured

The band's called Headsticks and we're going around Europe with Crass starting this week

310962522_2863013173842765_8953454365177504904_n.jpg.0f56830729acf90fd1a49b5087e644ba.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1