Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a couple of gigs this week with the ELO Experience.

First was on Thursday at The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, which we’ve done many times.

Great venue with helpful staff and a great view from the outside balcony at the rear of the

stage. France looked so close, and a great sunset over Dungeness too! We had a couple of

problems with the IEM’s but an enthusiastic near capacity audience were on good form,

plenty of dancing which is always good.

Then after the long drive north from Kent we were at Skegness Embassy Theatre last night.

One of our favourite venues, with a good stage and again nice staff. It’s always a fine sounding

room, and was a really enjoyable gig. Funny moment during the first set though - it was blowing

a gale outside, lashing down with rain. During the song ‘Showdown’, the lyrics include

‘and it’s raining, all over the world...’ at which point I got a massive drop of water on my head 

whilst I was singing.  Apparently the roof vents do leak sometimes, directly above me!

Moved my gear and monitor during the interval, and the staff put down what we called a 

stage nappy to absorb the rain and prevent splashing me. Several of the capacity audience 

noticed my predicament and were very amused, (as were the rest of the band of course).

(No pics except this one of Dungeness in the distance from the theatre balcony).

Dungeness, from Folkestone.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played a couple of gigs this week with the ELO Experience.

First was on Thursday at The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, which we’ve done many times.

Great venue with helpful staff and a great view from the outside balcony at the rear of the

stage. France looked so close, and a great sunset over Dungeness too! We had a couple of

problems with the IEM’s but an enthusiastic near capacity audience were on good form,

plenty of dancing which is always good.

Then after the long drive north from Kent we were at Skegness Embassy Theatre last night.

One of our favourite venues, with a good stage and again nice staff. It’s always a fine sounding

room, and was a really enjoyable gig. Funny moment during the first set though - it was blowing

a gale outside, lashing down with rain. During the song ‘Showdown’, the lyrics include

‘and it’s raining, all over the world...’ at which point I got a massive drop of water on my head 

whilst I was singing.  Apparently the roof vents do leak sometimes, directly above me!

Moved my gear and monitor during the interval, and the staff put down what we called a 

stage nappy to absorb the rain and prevent splashing me. Several of the capacity audience 

noticed my predicament and were very amused, (as were the rest of the band of course).

The Wet Wet Wet Experience?😂

• Haha 2

Not long back from my second gig of the day - another village beer festival, this time in the village I live in. My wife drove me there and collected me afterwards, so I was able to have a couple of beers without worrying about getting nicked.

This one was a Wirebirds gig, now a three piece blues rock band. We got a good reception from the audience and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our new drummer is getting used to us and fitting in quite well now.

I think I'll sleep well tonight after those two gigs, though!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We had an outing today for the 5-piece variant of the band, so no keys or pedal steel and the drummer played a cajon with a foot stomp.

It was a private party for a local cafè, celebrating 20 years in business and done mainly as a favour to them. We threw in 4 new covers (we're an originals band in the main and usually only include 1 cover, just to give the audience some respite). It was an interesting trial, as we'd not rehearsed them and I'd never even played them before we got to the gig (some frantic googling and youtube videos helped a great deal!)

Still, it was nice to get out again and it gave me a good reason to avoid "strictly".

• Like 6

A bittersweet Soul Destroyers one last night. A party gig for lots of enthusiastic people, we played well (although I had some dyslexic foot trouble with my MS60B 🙄 ) but it was our tenor saxist's last gig after 24 years(!) with the band on and off. Gonna miss big Ben.

That tenor looks small on him because he's 6'6" :lol:

PSX_20221002_114901.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

Played the Three Tuns in Chepstow yesterday. Fantastic place, plenty of room to set up  virtually no seats, so packed with people standing. Really great reception,  despite me and drummer Paul both being covid vaxxed the day before and feeling decidedly subpar   luckily the adrenaline switched in. Got some great feedback,  especially Alex our prodigy guitarist. Definitely A buzz from going down well at a venue where lots of great bands have played.

20221001_205159.jpg

20221001_205216.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 10

Did a live video shoot for my new function band, in a barn on a farm. It’s a wedding venue, so not quite as rustic as one may think 😅

Was pretty good; we had a stand-in drummer though because our normal tub thumper was in the hospital with his wife who was giving birth to baby no 2 - we couldn’t really ask him to put us first 😅

First time I’ve used in ears (to avoid too much noise onstage for the audio recording) and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a lot. Still an old school Luddite who likes a rig making noise behind me but the IEMs worked a treat. Not sure I’ll be shelling out big money for any just yet, wait for the gigs to pile up a bit more first…

EE3CDE3F-19B1-48B2-B904-932C647E85CE.thumb.jpeg.12d495b7795e0a15ca1427a073409dde.jpeg

• Like 4

More like last weekend than last night, but anyway... a reunion of sorts.

One of the bands wot I'm in used to be fronted by three brothers, but they haven't performed together for seven years.

They got back together for a one-off. The venue is a 250-seater, and I'm happy to say it sold out in a few days.

Drummer is used a percussion kit thing to keep the stage volume down, but it sounded great. 

I used my '71P, flats, HandBox R-400 and TKS 2x12 with a mic on it.

Hopefully we'll do it again sometime.

Here's a song from it.. bear in mind these front three are all knocking around 70. They've still got it.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Mine too... Perhaps the yungman has sigs turned off in his display profile?

I’ve been a BC member since 2007 and unfortunately haven’t a clue what this means. So maybe others are ignorant too… Humour us!🙏

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I’ve been a BC member since 2007 and unfortunately haven’t a clue what this means. So maybe others are ignorant too… Humour us!🙏

Perhaps the 'young man' (that's you...) has used the option of not having members' signatures displayed, and so hasn't seen the band name of the poster..? It's an option found top right of the signature section (a little 'x'...), just below the post itself. If the band information is in that signature section, and it's turned off, it would explain why it's not been seen. B|

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Perhaps the 'young man' (that's you...) has used the option of not having members' signatures displayed, and so hasn't seen the band name of the poster..? It's an option found top right of the signature section (a little 'x'...), just below the post itself. If the band information is in that signature section, and it's turned off, it would explain why it's not been seen. B|

I have found a button that supposedly  lets me see signatures. Is being on a mobile phone the problem? Cos I still can’t…

Ah well, I’ve always found ignorance is bliss. As you were!

24 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

bear in mind these front three are all knocking around 70. They've still got it.

Loved this, Michael. But as Tina T once said, whats age got to do with it!?!?

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have found a button that supposedly  lets me see signatures. Is being on a mobile phone the problem? Cos I still can’t…

Ah well, I’ve always found ignorance is bliss. As you were!

What is this 'mobile phone' of which you speak..? :/

:lol: :P

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

... They've still got it...

They have indeed; thanks for that. A quaint 'really old school' drum set (traps kit..?). My hearing is now 'shot', but even 'back in the day', I could never hear the sound of those mini tubular bells racks. Presumably a tinkling melodic descent, but wasted on me. :$ Never mind, that 's just a tiny personal detail; the modest, laid-back singing (and sympathetic musicianship from the backing...) makes a great change, and a treat compared to much of today's 'live' output. Good Stuff; very Good Stuff. R91KekF.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Nowt, other than it gives me hope that there's a few miles left in me too 😄

It’s when they say ‘he’s not bad…for his age’ that I will hang my 71P up (or sell it to you).

The fact this is a birthday month may mean I am touchier than usual😬

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Nowt, other than it gives me hope that there's a few miles left in me too 😄

I've just put a band together to play the blues circuit and got my 68 year old mate in on vocals. A great rock singer in his day and has been around the block many times. Unfortunately, he got nodes on his vocal chords about 12 years ago and hasn't really gigged since.

He's just getting his confidence back, but good to hear him singing properly again. He's never going to hit the notes that he used to, but still sounds great singing blues stuff. 

• Like 4

F**K ME... Friday was a bad one...You ever get the feeling top to toe that THIS venue IS NOT a good one...

Fights, drugs, annoying mentally deranged types, glassings, people coming on your stage area, singer getting the mic snatched, some annoying old bint wanting us to stop playing as she wanted to sing 'Lipstick on your collar'... dire...

Saturday was better, but the place forgot that they had booked us... Played better and played a few unrehearsed numbers.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, ARGH said:

F**K ME... Friday was a bad one...You ever get the feeling top to toe that THIS venue IS NOT a good one...

Fights, drugs, annoying mentally deranged types, glassings, people coming on your stage area, singer getting the mic snatched, some annoying old bint wanting us to stop playing as she wanted to sing 'Lipstick on your collar'... dire...

Saturday was better, but the place forgot that they had booked us... Played better and played a few unrehearsed numbers.

Name and shame dude.