Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1336404306' post='1645102']
Tough call.

Normally I am not sentimental about these things but there is a right way of doing this..

Firstly.. you need a very good player and then decide what he brings ...personality, playing, etc etc
Can you ask the other guy to leave just like that..? is it your call alone..? what do the other guys think.. who is friends with whom..?

I don't agree that these things can't work as you are supposed to be a section and work together so it is a marriage of what you both have that is key.

But then if the other guy is so far adrift, it would only be a question of when he gets to leave anyway. I only resent it if the guiy can't play but then again, I wouldn't stick around in that position anyway.
If someone else is picking the band, then that is bad enough................

How come he has lasted so long..??
[/quote]

Yes, very tough. The regular drummer is a great guy and a great drummer. Hes reliable and good fun to be around. Sure he can play the dancey stuff and we can get a crowd going but it has always felt slightly false almost unnatural - i couldn't quite put my finger on it till this weekend. I don't honestly believe that i want to upset the band and do anything rash but it was a real taster as to how much better the whole thing sounds with a more naturally funk oriented drummer.

Played Forte La Carnale in Salerno, Italy on Saturday.
350-400 paying punters @ €15 a pop - not bad
This is a very live room - we had trouble with guitar feedback and onstage mixes........
We went out with the promoter on Friday night and turned in around 2.30am.....Saturday, soundchecked at 6.00pm and on stage at around 12.20am on Saturday night, played for over 2 hours and got back to the hotel around 4.30-5.00am....then flew home last night....still knackered tonight

Back to normal life tomorrow.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336429542' post='1645616']
Played Forte La Carnale in Salerno, Italy on Saturday.
350-400 paying punters @ €15 a pop - not bad
This is a very live room - we had trouble with guitar feedback and onstage mixes........
We went out with the promoter on Friday night and turned in around 2.30am.....Saturday, soundchecked at 6.00pm and on stage at around 12.20am on Saturday night, played for over 2 hours and got back to the hotel around 4.30-5.00am....then flew home last night....still knackered tonight

Back to normal life tomorrow.
[/quote]
sounds great - was it fun?

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1336474971' post='1646027']
sounds great - was it fun?
[/quote]
Yeah it was fun in a somewhat stressful way. (some promoters have a lot to learn ;))
It is bizarre to be sat in an office one day and be playing a gig in foreign parts the next, to a load of punters who know all the words to the songs and are going mental in front of you.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336480333' post='1646127']
Yeah it was fun in a somewhat stressful way. (some promoters have a lot to learn ;))
It is bizarre to be sat in an office one day and be playing a gig in foreign parts the next, to a load of punters who know all the words to the songs and are going mental in front of you.
[/quote]
Must be great. Thats the kind of bizarre you want.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1336402227' post='1645055']
No, it's not like that. Behavioural and procedural issues rather than musical.
[/quote]
Any chance that after a fully honest discussion that things could change for the better?

Good gig tonight (Bull & Gate, Kentish Town) and an OK turn-out given the dreadful weather. A few feedback problems with DB as I was stood by six-foot high monitors but worked my way round this. Very enjoyable :)

[attachment=107490:P1050118.JPG]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1336604177' post='1648459']
Good gig tonight (Bull & Gate, Kentish Town) and an OK turn-out given the dreadful weather. A few feedback problems with DB as I was stood by six-foot high monitors but worked my way round this. Very enjoyable :)

[attachment=107490:P1050118.JPG]
[/quote]

Good to see the Kolstein getting some action

Didcot Town FC end of season awards presentation evening last night. Brilliant gig. Room was acoustically lovely and we god a really nice clean and solid sound.
We're new into functions and were only booked cos the original band booked let them down a few weeks ago. The club had never heard us play before so was a slight risk on their part. The deal was we'd get £350 for two 45min sets minimum but if they thought we were up to standard we'd get the £500 they had originally set aside for the band they'd initially booked.
I got there early to set up pa and took the full BFM set up with 4 tops and 4 subs. Room was perfect with thick carpets and heavily upholstered chairs.
We were a bit late starting as the award ceremony over ran but that's part and parcel of gigs like this. We noticed the wags were looking very bored all through the presentations.
We went on at 9.45 and tore up the place with loads of party rock stuff. Dancefloor was packed from start to finish of both sets.
At the end the organisers were super chuffed, gave us the full £500 plus another £50!!! They then asked if we'd do NYE this year for £1000. Big smiles all round from the band and a happy customer.
Bit bleary eyed this morning but looking forward to playing the Banbury Beer Festival this afternoon. Gonna pull out a set of classic rock stuff for that so we can blow off some steam!

Fantastic night at 20Rocks in Falkirk supporting Bleech on their UK tour.
There were suppose to be 5 bands on the bill but 2 pulled out at the last minute so ended up ourselves (Whumfff) The Puzzlers and Bleech.
Nicely balanced sound from the house sound guy... no bangs, squeals or howls apart from those that were intended.

Great bands and all jolly nice folks, a great night out. :)

Not bad really. Did it with the long term dep with the normal similar longterm dep drummer so wasn't having to cue as best I could his stand in as last week.

Quite a few bits of other bands in and we had a couple of guests come up for the odd number. Response was really good all in all once the miserable scrote who was stood right in front of the PA as we set up and had some initial feed back issues had fecked off. He really helped at one point by turning one of the speakers close by my mic round so that it was pointing directly at the mic <_<

Almost killed one of the guitarists amps when my drinks, bought in the break and put on a slightly more convenient shelf at the back of the "stage" area ecided to jump into the amp ... oops!! Thankfully one channel still worked and we finished the night.

Basses were sounding good to me. Used the ClassicJ as well as both L2500's (well it would have been rude not to). Some changes to my usual settings on the L2500's so that they fitted with the ClassicJ settings without needing too much fiddling on changes & got some compliments on the sound at the end....which was nice :) :)

Friday night - Spiral Six, rock covers band.

One gig, two significant points in the band's life.

First, it was our first wedding reception, so the first time that people weren't there for us (in either a specific "us" sense or an "any band will do" sense).

Second, it was our drummer's last gig with us. This has been a long-drawn-out farewell, and it's down to geography and jobs - he's working for the MoD as a meteorologist and has been posted to North Yorkshire. If anyone around the Darlington area needs a drummer, I can put you in touch - having done both originals and covers with him, I know he's got great scope and skill. We're breaking another one in at the moment who is coming on pretty well.

Anyroadup, all went well (the odd mistakes were recovered, even one that might easily have become a train wreck). The groom even insisted on giving us a bit more money (this was after providing us with drinks for the night - we were all driving so couldn't take full advantage). And we got a fair few up and dancing. "Sex on fire" was our penultimate number and that really go them up and going - this century's "Mustang Sally". Our singer thought it was the best gig he's had, I thought it was good, and the DJ thought we were good too and name-checked us on his Facebook radio show (well, that's how it's described).

Saturday night - barn dance with Mrs Zero calling and me stepping in on bass with an ad hoc band.

Last year, we did the same thing with an ad hoc band put together by the same chap for the Birmingham City Mission. We'll be repeating that in a month, this one was for a toddler's group for a Birmingham church. The band that was assembled last time was high quality, and the same applied this time round, though the only member in common was the band leader.

Had a really good time, managed to pick up the tunes through a combination of ears, chord charts, and the guitarist's fingers. Mrs Zero also had a great time, and there was a plentiful supply of willing dancers.

Local pub gig with a '60s band.
Played a few Rolling Stones numbers and this couple, well into their seventies, were dancin' like Jagger.
At the end of the evening one of the other punters remarked on the old boys fitness and stamina.
His missus replied " You should have seen him in the old days when he was taking purple hearts!".
Question from my son who was roadie for the night "What are purple hearts, Dad?"
Time for bed....................

Great show, first outdoor gig this season!

Open air theatre music for a performance, last day of the International Performance Festival Berlin "Escape", yesterday night at 10pm in the beautiful garden on former industrial area, now artist studios (BLO-Ateliers).

Performance consisted of Amy J. Klement (naked, with wings and feathers) hatching out of a giant egg (paper mache and plaster), then laying an egg herself (an oystrich egg), moving to the kitchen, frying and serving it (Spätzle oystrich egg - yum).

Build a nice nest for the performance and a really nice little sound setup in the bush, virtually bush music. Chaospad, Moog, microphone and weired sounds, frettless bass, effects. So we had a little nest there too, perfect with outdoor-backstage, thanks to us being wise enough to bring various lights, torch, knife, food, blankets and refreshments. Great jam in the afternoon / during soundcheck with a very competent musical partner (Lars Crosby). The fretless sounded amazing and the little markbass combo was loud enough.

Bass looked great in the sunshine through the leaves during the day... Hang around all day really, it was lovely, from time to time playing some music, from sound collages to really groovy stuff with moog + fretless... Wow.

My lavoiser-mic got destroyed in the show but will be replaced. Used that to get the sound from inside the egg.

Audience of about 150 and many compliments for both the performance and the music. All impro to clues from the show.

All on video, can't wait. Came home at 6am.