Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333108317' post='1597489']
Disappointing... First gig in Sheffield for Dick Venom & The Terrortones at the South Sea.

Nice Venue, decent sized stage efficient PA and the people running it were all very pleasant. However it didn't seem particularly well organised or publicised. The total audience that wasn't other band members or venue staff can't have been more the 20 and most of them appeared to have come to see us. The last band on who very kindly supplied the bass rig ended up playing to us and 2 other people. Not good.

Just looked at their (very confusing) Facebook page. Until late yesterday afternoon there was no mention of last night's gig anywhere AFAICS.
[/quote]

I've experienced that sort of thing in Sheffield at several venues, both as a player and a punter.
The only place that had any consistency, in my experience, was The Boardwalk. But that's gone now.
An odd town in some ways.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1333115214' post='1597667']
I've experienced that sort of thing in Sheffield at several venues, both as a player and a punter.
The only place that had any consistency, in my experience, was The Boardwalk. But that's gone now.
An odd town in some ways.
[/quote]

I always thought that Sheffield was a fairly happening city musically, but then the only gig I'd been to there before last night was to see Clock DVA and Vice-Versa (who went on to become ABC) at a pub who's name I can't remember back in 1980. The gig was absolutely packed, but might have been because the bands were fairly well known on the local scene and it was the height of music press publicity for Sheffield as a result of The Human League, Cabaret Voltaire and The Comsat Angels.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333114567' post='1597652']
Yes it was. It's the local for one of the guitarists, hence the gig. It's been done up recently and the layout changed so the drums setup in front of the fireplace rather than trying to squeeze in between the bench seats. Still pretty bizarre and the early time slot doesn't make things any less weird.
[/quote]
Not played there for a couple of years, must pop over one Sunday and have a look, maybe next time your covers band is on, what's the band's name? I think the last time I played there a fairly well respected local bass player told me in the interval that he liked the way I 'commanded my part of the stage'. I think it was his way of saying that although my playing was a bit sh*t at least I looked the part :lol:

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1333146226' post='1598245']
Can't believe it

Finished my gig gig tonight at 11pm

was back home with gear unloaded by 11.15

3 items to carry

Eminence portable d/b, Genz Benz Shuttle 3 8t and a music stand

Time for a beer :)
[/quote]
Result!

There's a few niggly things going on right now that are bugging me, bandwise - but I don't want to go into that. Let's focus on the good stuff :)

Last night's gig was in a pub called Slains Castle and it's one of those rarities in Aberdeen - a pub/club that used to be a church ;) It's a big old room with lots of nooks and crannies - an acoustic nightmare you might think. Turns out not to be the case.

There is no stage - there is a small mezzanine floor about 5 steps down from the top of the stairs and that's where the band goes. I guess it's a bit like being in an orchestra pit. Punters above you, in front of you and behind you, it was a bit weird at first - cosy space for a 5 piece band but we arranged ourselves as best we could in a semi circle.

Gig went really well, from a bass point of view. I was using my RedSub head for the first time in anger with my Zoot 4x10 and it performed beautifully. No PA support, just the rig. Lovely thick sound coming from my RD Artist. I bloody love that bass! All the bands used my rig and while they were playing I headed downstairs and wandered about. Apart from a couple of blind spots, the sound travelled down pretty good, I was impressed :)

In short, I think the gig went pretty well all things considered, I played pretty well with only a few minor bloops, got some folk dancing and filled a big old church with sound. I am pleased with my amplification equipment and I've got a bass that makes me feel ... strangely powerful :)

EDIT: apparently someone videoed us... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/61774-show-us-your-playing-videos/page__view__findpost__p__1598648

Edited by neepheid

The Purple Emperor, Harlow.

Ironically last nights gig was one of the most depressing and yet I had the best sound I've managed in a pub for years and as a band we probably played our best to date.

But the audience, mostly builders/roofers/chippies who had been in there since finishing work, totally ignored us.

Still, we got paid and kicked up a good din for a couple of hours or so.

The Railway Inn , Coed Talon
Pretty quiet really as the landlady has just started putting bands on , there were only about 40 in, but they rocked the place , it turned out to be a brilliant intimate kind of gig and got to re-book in 8 weeks . the room pulled the tone right out of the gear and any bass effects were pretty much lost . My sound varied from a deep boomy thud, to a less deep non boomy thud :huh:
Guitars seemed to cut through OK , and in general a good night out

ed for spelig

Edited by lurksalot

I've just got back from a gig at The Olympic, Draycott, Derbyshire. There wasn't all that many in but we played well and we went down really well again, we got 2 encores. Even better, they have re-booked us already for Sat August 4th, always a good sign.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

Played the Nottingham's best unsigned music venue, The Maze. Was for the Chaos Promotions Battle of the Bands event final.

Despite victory being stolen from us! The band that was first on some how won by crowd vote when no one saw them play...........

Our set went from amazing to spectacular the MAze floor was ramo, I sweated a bucket, and the actual gig went epically well. Despite having the lurgy.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1333193611' post='1598526']
The Railway Inn , Coed Talon
Pretty quiet really as the landlady has just started putting bands on , there were only about 40 in, but they rocked the place , it turned out to be a brilliant intimate kind of gig and got to re-book in 8 weeks . [/quote]

If you got 40 in then that is a decent start for a new venue..I hope this encourages this LL and venue to keep this up...and good attendance can't always be there straight away.
If you think the venue needs support ..and you'll get more gigs from that as well..then I'd go out and see if I could help promote it in some small way.

I always try and post on our website and FB detailing the recent gigs..even though you can't and probably shouldn't slag off many places if you intend to go back there... :lol: so you have to be 'positive' and not so much,
objective. ...... Play the game.

Another fantastic night to make up for the rather underwhelming gig in Sheffield.

All-day fundraiser for Pride at the Canalhouse in Nottingham. Not as busy as last year's Waterfront festival, but the crowd seemed to be much more enthusiastic. People were up an dancing from pretty much the first song right to the end. Excellent sound too. Only negative was the fact that the drum kit kept moving and the cymbal stands collapsing which didn't help the flow of the set when we had to help move the kit back after every song. Even with one of the monitors up against the bass drum it was still moving about. Had we done nothing he'd have been off the front of the stage by the end of the 3rd song! However it was only a minor distraction in the scheme of things and we made good use of it during the pause in "Love Me Tendons" with our drummer running around trying to get everything back in place and be back in his seat to count in the solo!

Lots of favourable comments afterwards and looks like we've picked up another on the strength of our performance at this one.

Also got to give a mention for Practical Lovers who were on before us and played a blinder. If you live in Nottingham and haven't seen them yet then you are seriously missing out.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333272391' post='1599360']
If you got 40 in then that is a decent start for a new venue..I hope this encourages this LL and venue to keep this up...and good attendance can't always be there straight away.
If you think the venue needs support ..and you'll get more gigs from that as well..then I'd go out and see if I could help promote it in some small way.

I always try and post on our website and FB detailing the recent gigs..even though you can't and probably shouldn't slag off many places if you intend to go back there... :lol: so you have to be 'positive' and not so much,
objective. ...... Play the game.
[/quote]

We hope to take some more as well next time , and we do the FB stuff best we can, We always provide posters ,plenty of B/W A4 and a couple of A3 of us on a festival stage, always big up the pubs when we can , a bit of mutual promotion never hurts

I agree... hope she was happy with 40 odd...and she sticks with it.
Hopefully the other bands will be as helpful as well.and this venue builds.

It can take a year round here to establish a venue as a proper circuit venue so that is quite a commitment financially for a pub to hang out that long for returns..??

Played the gig from hell last night. 11 pm til 2 am. And you can guess the state of the punters by that time. The band that played there last week were greeted with a fight, complete with bloodied pool cues, and this is pretty much par for the course at this particular pub. We went with an open mind.

Luckily, the worse thing that happened was when someone thought it would be a good idea to put ice on top of my rig, mid song, while shouting 'play some Metallica, Gandalf!'. He shut up when, in a disgusted rage, I picked the ice off my rig and threw it at him. But we ended up playing Metallica anyway.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1333290382' post='1599596']
Wedding in a big marquee overlooking the Purbeck hills. Great setting - easy setup - a crowd that were well up for it and loverly ladies in skimpy outfits. What is there not to like? Home by midnight. Win win win.
[/quote]

where is that 'like' button..!!!

Wedding in a big marquee overlooking the Purbeck hills. Great setting - easy setup - a crowd that were well up for it and [u][i]loverly ladies in skimpy outfits[/i][/u]. What is there not to like? [u][i]Home by midnight[/i][/u]. Win win win.
[/quote]

'Lovely ladies in skimpy outfits' and 'home by midnight' don't really go together as a 'win' situation! ;)

..............a crowd that were well up for it and loverly ladies in skimpy outfits. What is there not to like? Home by midnight. Win win win.
[/quote]

Home by midnight , with a loverly lady, who was well up for it :D ;) :o WIN,WIN,WIN,WIN, Full house I think :lol:

First gig back after my eye op. Nice and easy reintroduction with an 8 o'clock start. Definitely more nervous than usual, I had a touch of fat finger in the opener and slightly disturbing wonky vision moment at the end of set. All went ok though and the venue filled up nicely for the top of the bill bands.