Why become a member? ×

Bum Notes and Feeling Guilty

xilddx

This is a bit of a brain dump, so forgive me.

I played more than my usual amount of bum notes at a pretty important gig last night. So much so that I was given a friendly pep talk by a professional musician/frontman friend of mine who usually bigs up my playing at gigs, told me I was dropping bummers and I need to calm down, slow down.

I usually hit few bummers during gigs, a few hardly noticeable ones and maybe one or two awful ones. Last night I f***ed up badly a number of times. They happen for reasons like I'm dancing too much, losing the arrangement, can't see my side dots on stage, taking musical chances, lack of personal practice and lack of band rehearsal. We almost never rehearse, but I have all the songs on disc so there is no excuse.

It was a great gig with a wonderful audience, but I have woken up this morning feeling guilty and concerned and have come to the conclusion that my priorities are all wrong. I only play bass when I'm inspired to or need to, and very rarely do any structured practice, even then it's less than half an hour. I probably play about an hour or two a week at most, unless I am writing or learning lines. I get a bit lost in the music on stage and without the practice I should be doing, it's easy to get into a right mess if I'm not careful, even on easy tunes. I have always felt this is the entertainment business so I feel the audience deserve a show, not just a bunch of lifeless waxworks, so I am concerned with those things as much as the music. I spend too much time talking about bass, buying and selling basses, reading about basses, looking at pictures of basses, watching bassists, etc., etc., and I need to scale that sh*t down and actually PLAY my basses. I think I have ability and musicality, but I'm not taking advantage of it, I feel neglectful and guilty about letting my bands down as a result.

I really needed that pep talk, and because of the person who administered it, his words felt like arrows into my heart. It's time to up my game and be proper. I don't want to be part of such a great gig and feel really bummed out the next morning EVER AGAIN.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Probably sound like a whiny twat who needs to get off his arse more.

Edited by silddx

You know what, everyone makes mistakes, even the best musicians in the world......but the trick is being at a level where you can turn it to your advantage, or make it work!
It's cliched, but Miles Davies' famous quote of "it's not a mistake, it's an opportunity" really rings true for me personally.

Yes practicing more will make you more confident, but mistakes will always happen, it's just how well you react to them! :)

Si

[quote name='JTUK' post='759102' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:00 PM']Sounds like a wake-up call and might be for the good in the longer term. Be thankful it wasn't the band that were talking about it, but I'd assume they noticed.[/quote]
It certainly was mate. And some of the band did notice. And these are amazing pro musicians with a very long touring and recording career together and highly respected for what they do. I feel I have dishonoured their trust in me.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='759106' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:02 PM']Dude, feelin every word of that. I've been there and done that and had the guilt. Sounds like youre pretty sorted on it though, I reckon you'll enjoy the change of tac :)[/quote]
You know what, I think you're right. I have a really busy life, but when I think of the time I waste because I feel I need to relax, I know I could be spending some of that time practicing. I think I'm going to develop a practice regime for myself.

Sibob is absolutely right with that quote. I need to go back to basics and understand each song I have to play within its theoretical context. This may be the start of my regime.

I know how you feel - they don't call it 'the cold light of day' for nothing.

But don't let 'The Guilt' obscure the fact that it was simply a case that your reach exceeded your grasp. In your ambition to inject some jollity into the proceedings, your musicianship took a hit. Happens to us all.

By all means practice your material till the blood seeps from your eyes - but maybe try doing it stood up and throwing some moves. 'Show' is much to be encouraged and the intent cannot be faulted, even if the outcome left you plunged in deepest woe.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='759131' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:25 PM']I know how you feel - they don't call it 'the cold light of day' for nothing.

But don't let 'The Guilt' obscure the fact that it was simply a case that your reach exceeded your grasp. In your ambition to inject some jollity into the proceedings, your musicianship took a hit. Happens to us all.

By all means practice your material till the blood seeps from your eyes - but maybe try doing it stood up and throwing some moves. 'Show' is much to be encouraged and the intent cannot be faulted, even if the outcome left you plunged in deepest woe.[/quote]

This is the other thing!
People go to shows for 'performances', on the most part anyway! If a player dropped a clanger but was putting on a good show and had a laugh about it, you generally wouldn't care less huh!.
Can't think of anything worse than someone standing dead still and looking at their instrument just to nail their part....how boring!
Of course the trick is marrying 'The Show' with 'Your musical performance'

Si

[quote name='silddx' post='759098' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:55 PM']They happen for reasons like I'm dancing too much, losing the arrangement, can't see my side dots on stage, taking musical chances, lack of personal practice and lack of band rehearsal.
[edit]
I only play bass when I'm inspired to or need to, and very rarely do any structured practice, even then it's less than half an hour. I probably play about an hour or two a week at most, unless I am writing or learning lines.[/quote]

These two lines for me are both your question and answer.
If you are only playing for a really short amount of time each week you are going to be out of shape,and lose
familiarity with the instrument. If you know your bass well enough,you shouldn't need to see the side dots,
and you should be able to still play while dancing. Band rehearsals are not particularly important if you all
learn the songs before hand.
It all comes down to your own practise. I have to question your motivation if you don't feel the need to pick up
the bass that often.

[quote name='silddx' post='759117' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:12 PM']You know what, I think you're right. I have a really busy life, but when I think of the time I waste because I feel I need to relax, I know I could be spending some of that time practicing.[/quote]
I don't know if this is relevant (or even useful) to you, but if I have a few minutes to "relax" I automatically reach for my practise Bass. It's got a crappy little headphone amp permanently plugged into it so I don't bother anybody else, and I find noodling away in the corner rather relaxing in itself. I use these moments to run through some of the songs I play with my current Bands, and try adding different riffs, runs and the like to the existing arrangements. If they work-great, if they're rubbish-I haven't f*cked up trying them out at a Gig. I've also found that the simple act of having the Bass constantly in your hands helps you to "connect" with it more, so I don't have to think (too much) about what I'm playing on stage, which means I can dance around like an idiot and entertain the crowd a bit more than if I were a shoe-gazer. (IMHO)
Like I say, horses for courses. It might not work for you, but it helps me a lot so it might be worth a try.

+1 to all the above. I've been guilty of more than my fair share of howlers, some on quite high profile gigs.

One of my worst gigs was at a private party for the Nolan sisters, i was mixing it big with such luminaries as Alvin Stardust and the fat one from Blue :)
Dropped about 4 absolute clangers, the rest of the band noticed and as there were quite a few musicians in the audience they noticed too, felt like a right tw@t.

Maybe a quick call to the bandleader with a quiet apology would show them you're being professional and can admit when you've made mistakes? It's not about the mistakes you make, rather how you deal with them.
I'll never forget going to see the Chili Peppers at Manchester and seeing Flea drop in a couple of bum notes, scuffed a few as well. Happens to all of us!

[quote name='Doddy' post='759146' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:38 PM']It all comes down to your own practise. I have to question your motivation if you don't feel the need to pick up
the bass that often.[/quote]
That is a pretty insightful view. One which I ask myself a lot, and is the underlying premise to this thread.

I love music, I love playing with other people, but the days when I was was on the Old King Cole and used to practice guitar for 30 hours a week are long gone. I have a day job which can be very demanding, I am studying for a job related degree equivalent in the space of a year, and I am in three bands. I am lazy when allowed, but I think the reason I don't play that much at home is because after having played for the best part of 30 years, I find it difficult to amaze myself without a lot of effort. Being in my mid forties, the music I can imagine far exceeds my ability now, and the amount of work I know I need to put into my playing puts me off trying. I am also quite erratic so I will have short and infrequent periods where I will play loads, learn some Scott Thunes and get a rather dangerous false confidence. In addition, I can be vain and narcissistic but in a way that tries to be pleasing to all, leaving me with a feeling of lack of identity. I've never had an identity as a player, I seem to get a big kick out sounding like my influences, it thrills me if I do something that sounds like my heroes, but get uncomfortable if I do something that reflects myself, I'm not confident in it, there is no affirmation. If I see video, or hear recordings of my voice, I get deeply uncomfortable. I probably have a bit of a self-loathing issue, and I can get quite depressed if I don't achieve a certain perfection in anything I do. Probably why I procrastinate a lot if I feel I can't do something brilliant first time. I like to make my mistakes in private thank you very much, and I feel terrible if I offend anyone personally, or let someone down with my own ineptitude. I have quite a profound moral sense which makes injustice intolerable to me, although there is so much of it around that I don't feel I can do much to change it.

I can't nail it down fully, but I think a lot of my issues are down to perfection seeking, vanity, and a perceived lack of personal identity. And vanity is possibly my prime motivator in everything I do.

I got all that from the astrology book I got for Christmas :rolleyes: :)

You sound like a whiny twat who needs to get off his arse more. :)

Why did you make mistakes. I generally make them for one reason only - complacency.

I expect you know the tunes inside out and don't need to practice them, you got on stage and your mind wandered and you forgot to concentrate on the playing. You shouldn't need to concentrate on having a good time, that should just happen when you are confident in what you play.

I don't think you are alone here & I can think of a similar thing with myself about 4yrs back. I wasn't brave enough to share so publicly though. I think a big part of this is practice as you identified though. If you are dropping mistakes then iron them out.

As a point of interest I sometimes used to mess up the easier riffs because they weren't so interesting so I'd practice and nail the complex stuff only to fluff the easy lines.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='759188' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:31 PM']As a point of interest I sometimes used to mess up the easier riffs because they weren't so interesting so I'd practice and nail the complex stuff only to fluff the easy lines.[/quote]
Yeah, I think that's me too. A lot of the bass lines I have to play are electronic dance riffs not written by a bass player. They can be very repetitive and with some odd movements. I jazz them up a bit live which often means I'm improvising around them, but without practice that can be so dangerous. The hard stuff is generally the stuff I do best. I cocked up on the easy tunes last night.

Thanks for the support and insight so far. Appreciated. I was looking at Google Maps earlier, for bridges near W5. :)

Edited by silddx

We have a dep drummer for a gig next saturday and he came down on thursday for a play and I dropped a fair few of the old bum notes. The drummer plays in a covers band who are a really good bunch of muso`s and I was a bit concerned that he would think that we are a bunch of chancers (which we are) and would blow us out.

Got an e mail from him today saying he really enjoyed the rehersal and we made him feel really relaxed and he`s looking forward to the gig. And we are quite a good band.

I think that sometimes we can beat ourselves up and on occasions, it can be a good thing. But try not to dwell on it too long. Keep the old chin up, as they say!! :)

Jez

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='759131' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:25 PM']I know how you feel - they don't call it 'the cold light of day' for nothing.

By all means practice your material till the blood seeps from your eyes - but maybe try doing it stood up and throwing some moves. 'Show' is much to be encouraged and the intent cannot be faulted, even if the outcome left you plunged in deepest woe.[/quote]
You're right, mate, but I need to get my skillz up to grade to keep up with my feetz. I'm fine in the studio and rehearsal generally.

Cheers :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='759253' date='Feb 27 2010, 05:14 PM']We have a dep drummer for a gig next saturday and he came down on thursday for a play and I dropped a fair few of the old bum notes. The drummer plays in a covers band who are a really good bunch of muso`s and I was a bit concerned that he would think that we are a bunch of chancers (which we are) and would blow us out.

Got an e mail from him today saying he really enjoyed the rehersal and we made him feel really relaxed and he`s looking forward to the gig. And we are quite a good band.

I think that sometimes we can beat ourselves up and on occasions, it can be a good thing. But try not to dwell on it too long. Keep the old chin up, as they say!! :)

Jez[/quote]
Thanks Jez. Makes a good point too.

[quote name='discreet' post='759120' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:17 PM']Don't beat yourself up over it. Forward![/quote]
+1

It's abundently clear from your OP that you have the self-awareness and respect for others to make a change. I find it surprising how many people I've met who would find something external to blame. :-)

I applaude you for your honesty.

Having seen the clip you posted on Youtube, playing a Frank Zappa number (assume it was a Thunes line), and thinking ' my word he's tasty, and the bass playing isn't bad either', it's courageous to say 'you know sometimes I f@ck it up, even after playing for a fair few years'. Also it shows you're not arrogant enough to ignore what others say to you.

You've recently been praised for your playing on the Kit Richardson material so are regarded as a fine player by fellow Basschatters. So for someone like yourself to say I screwed up a bit and could do with practising some more, will be encouraging to lesser players. Well alright then, me. :)

I played between the ages of 17 and 21 and then sold my gear. When I 'played' it was all short, simple riffs. Not too much stretching all the riffs stayed within comfortable little boxes on the fretboard. Very old style punk and Pixies inspired stuff. I'm now 37 and last year bought a new bass. I get incredibly frustrated with myself for not being able to play simple stuff. But I am lazy and don't practice enough or the right things. I'd rather try and play a track I like, which more often than not is too complicated for the stage I am at.

When I say lazy, I should like to clarify I do have 3 kids, a full time inconvenience (sorry job) and a list of jobs to complete the house that makes me weep. However, if I were to spend as much time practising as I do on here I'd be giving Wooten a run for his money.

Cheers, you're a top geezer. Also agree with the others, don't beat yourself up over it.

Disclaimer: apologies if this makes no sense and sounds a load of sh!t. :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin