Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bum Notes and Feeling Guilty

xilddx

I feel that I should mention - as the only other Basschatter at the gig that has upset Nigel - that his playing was strong, his stage presence was excellent, and VERY few people in that audience will have noticed the mistakes he's mentioned.

Not saying they weren't there (though I didn't hear them), not saying he shouldn't try to improve (why would anybody say that?), just putting them in context.

It was a great gig.

same happened to me on one of my recent gigs, the guitarist and the drummer (who was just a fill-in and learnt our songs in a few days) really played their asses off, whilst i was playing a fair few bum-notes and felt really left out, much down to my own fault. i've since realised that it's all down to practise and experience. nothing eases the pre-gig nerves like knowing that you've practised the arse off the songs and knowing you're gonna nail it.

Can I possibly bring up the chance that it was just natural variability?

By no means do I mean don't worry about it at all. But at the same time, one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. It may have just been an extreme outlier that's highly unlikely to happen again, and the fact that you're so down about it seems to corroborate this for me - as long as you're being honest you're the best judge of your own ability.

I certainly don't mean you should get lax, practice harder if you think you should or whatever - but the chances are it's a one off and your next gig will be much better. Practice will reduce the chances of it happening again, and perhaps the extremity to which it could happen, but I don't think it's cause to panic unless it becomes a regular occurence.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='silddx' post='759098' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:55 PM']I spend too much time talking about bass, buying and selling basses, reading about basses, looking at pictures of basses, watching bassists, etc., etc., and I need to scale that sh*t down and actually PLAY my basses. I think I have ability and musicality, but I'm not taking advantage of it, I feel neglectful and guilty about letting my bands down as a result.[/quote]

Nigel, Im with you on this definitely! I spend too long GASSING and reading information when I should be playing and practicing. I have just joined a fairly pro band as well as a new originals band so I have to sort this out.

Thanks....this has made me realise I have to stop being lazy and enjoy what instruments/equipment I have.

[quote name='silddx' post='759098' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:55 PM']I spend too much time talking about bass, buying and selling basses, reading about basses, looking at pictures of basses, watching bassists, etc., etc., and I need to scale that sh*t down and actually PLAY my basses. I think I have ability and musicality, but I'm not taking advantage of it,[/quote]

Yeah I'm very guilty of the above too.... something I intend to change and getting my new bass this week has certainly helped insert a bit more enthusiasm!

Regarding the bum notes etc at least you're aware that you did them and from the sound of it not likely to do them again so thats all good... maybe say as much to your band mates if you think it might be an issue so they know you're gonna pull your socks up for next time. Then rather than beat yourself up over it just get down to some practice! I agree also about putting on a bit of a show/performance too but for me thats never at the expense of the music.

peace

c

Guys, thank you, I feel a little bit better about it now. Getting into perspective.

To answer Pete Academy, we gig erratically, one year we may do twenty or thirty, another we might do five. It all depends on Transglobal's tour schedule, ie. if they're touring we can't play. This was the first Krupa gig in over a year and the third with Doreen in 12 months. No rehearsal apart from a couple of hours with Krupa the night before.

Thanks Jack, for the nice words, very comforting :)

Have read this thread with great interest & reminds me of the discussion I had with the drummer at our gig last night.

If you don't play music full time & you're holding down a 9-5, making the odd mistake here & there is par for the course. We're not robots, & making mistakes is part of the human condition. We've been making mistakes for thousands of years & will continue to do so until the end.

The best thing to do is put a bad gig behind you & knuckle down as best you can. Practice makes perfect most of the time (unless you believe in the quote by Vince Lombardi, coach of the Green Bay Packers who won the first two Superbowls: "perfect practice makes perfect").

Chin up!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='silddx' post='759735' date='Feb 28 2010, 01:26 PM']Guys, thank you, I feel a little bit better about it now. Getting into perspective.

To answer Pete Academy, we gig erratically, one year we may do twenty or thirty, another we might do five. It all depends on Transglobal's tour schedule, ie. if they're touring we can't play. This was the first Krupa gig in over a year and the third with Doreen in 12 months. No rehearsal apart from a couple of hours with Krupa the night before.

Thanks Jack, for the nice words, very comforting :)[/quote]

If that's the case, to err is only human. I sometimes cock up, but that's when I'm usually dreaming about MILFs. :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' post='759120' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:17 PM']....Don't beat yourself up over it. Forward!....[/quote]
Exactly. Make the next gig a good one and they'll forget all about the last one. Oh, and don't dance about quite as much next time!!

Can't help with the available practice time, or the motivation or any of the psychology above.
Definitely helps to practice like you mean to play live though, IE dancing about like a loon in my case!
If I'm working out something new I'll sit down and concentrate, but apart from that all practice both solo and with the band is done stood up and dancing, deliberately looking at the other players or something on my wall so I'm not looking at the fingerboard.
The rest of the band think I'm a bit weird for this (not just for this actually :) ) but it really notices when it comes to a show that I can play and dance and do all other stuff while still keeping my playing reasonably tight & acurate, while they screw up as they practice sat down or stood stock still.
Also - it's good physical conditioning! Gets you used to the weight of the bass hanging off the strap for a couple of hours, and the C.V. of moving about a lot while having breath to sing backup is good too.

[quote name='silddx' post='759117' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:12 PM']You know what, I think you're right. I have a really busy life, but when I think of the time I waste because I feel I need to relax, I know I could be spending some of that time practicing. I think I'm going to develop a practice regime for myself.

Sibob is absolutely right with that quote. I need to go back to basics and understand each song I have to play within its theoretical context. This may be the start of my regime.[/quote]

Know exactly what you feel.

I've been thinking about this one, and it seems to me there are different kinds of bum notes (not for the listener, obviously, but for the player).

1. There's the bum note where you went for the right note but missed it cos of jumping about or fingers not doing what they're told in general, or being in the dark. Solution - if it's jumping about, don't worry,; it's worth it. Good advice from the poster above, tho. If it's stiffness of fingers, practice / warm up. If it's being in the dark, get luminous side dots.

2. There's also 'deliberately' playing the wrong note. By that I mean, you thought it was the right one. Solution - learn or relearn the chord progression. This one happens to me when I forget the chords and get in the habit of just playing my line.

3. There's the bum note cos you've lost the place. Also, it can happen if something throws your concentration, like a new sound in the mix, or nerves or being pissed/stoned (shouldn't ever happen). Same solution as 2.

If I've been thinking about this, it's cos I need to :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='silddx' post='759735' date='Feb 28 2010, 01:26 PM']Guys, thank you, I feel a little bit better about it now. Getting into perspective.

Thanks Jack, for the nice words, very comforting :)[/quote]

I don't think the band can beat you up on this if that is the limit of your rehearsal and maybe they aren't anyway...BUT.. I got the impression that you felt you dropped notes that maybe you wouldn't have, if you hadn't been too 'away' in the music.

So from that, what I would address is that part of the gig that might lead to this, ie, back off the dancing a tad, and also put more time into practising anyway. It doesn't sound a lightweight gig, so maybe you should up your preparation for that.

For me, personally, I wouldn't go into any gig without putting some time in on the bass prior, and I am nowhere near as intense as I used to be.

I wouldn't worry too much. If the crowd are enjoying it and nobody gets physically hurt. it's no biggie.

I try to keep all my mistakes in time. That way I can call them jazz solos.

I find I make more mistakes when I over rehearse. If I don't really need to concentrate on the playing my mind starts wandering (She looks nice in the third row. Did I leave the heating on? Is a tomato a fruit? What key is the next one in? Ooh look there's a bloke in a funny hat, etc.)

Thanks gents :)

My drummer just called me to say Doreen had a great time and is looking forward to doing it again. I admitted to him that I woke up the next day feeling really bad and that I'd really bummed a few songs, but he told me he'd had fantastic feedback from people and admitted he felt he'd under-rehearsed too and didn't play his best.

BUT, horror of horrors, he's recorded it (but not listened yet) and the second set which was by far my best didn't record due to an H4 battery fail - BUMMER!, and someone filmed the whole evening on DV!!

The truth will out! Was I as bad as I thought I was? or even worse? :rolleyes:

It's a good idea to remember that we're supposed to be [b][i]entertaining[/i][/b]. On stage, I'm so focused on not making mistakes that I tend to stand there like a (very handsome and striking) statue staring at the neck - which is, I believe, another thread at the moment.

Nigel was bopping around so much that he was making a major contribution to the [b][i]entertainment[/i][/b], especially during the 3-piece section of the evening. If the price of that bopping was a few bum notes, then I reckon that's a pretty fair trade.

I don't imagine he'd do that in the studio while recording the album, but if you want to hear the album, buy the album. A live performance should be LIVE.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='760871' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:12 PM']It's a good idea to remember that we're supposed to be [b][i]entertaining[/i][/b]. On stage, I'm so focused on not making mistakes that I tend to stand there like a (very handsome and striking) statue staring at the neck - which is, I believe, another thread at the moment.

Nigel was bopping around so much that he was making a major contribution to the [b][i]entertainment[/i][/b], especially during the 3-piece section of the evening. If the price of that bopping was a few bum notes, then I reckon that's a pretty fair trade.

I don't imagine he'd do that in the studio while recording the album, but if you want to hear the album, buy the album. A live performance should be LIVE.[/quote]
What happens if you stand still as a statue and still play bum notes, as I do? Mind you I do a mean Jimmy Page pout :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='760871' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:12 PM']It's a good idea to remember that we're supposed to be [b][i]entertaining[/i][/b]. On stage, I'm so focused on not making mistakes that I tend to stand there like a (very handsome and striking) statue staring at the neck - which is, I believe, another thread at the moment.

I don't imagine he'd do that in the studio while recording the album, but if you want to hear the album, buy the album. A live performance should be LIVE.[/quote]
I can confirm Jack is very striking and handsome in his long white jacket, and made no mistakes I could hear, and can sing and play fretless at the same time!

EDIT: Still have to say though that there are very few acceptable excuses for bum notes.

Edited by silddx