Why become a member? ×

Pearls of wisdom

Lfalex v1.1

Just been playing (what? [i]AGAIN[/i]!)
And thought; "What's the SINGLE best piece of advice you could give to your fellow bassists?"

Just one piece. And simple truisms are perfectly valid.

Mine would be this:

"Having achieved your optimum tone by cutting/boosting whatever frequency (Amp or bass EQ) when playing in isolation, remember that it needs to be just that bit more extreme (more boost or cut) to sound as good in a band setting / against musical backing. The same is true of effects. If you're too subtle tonally, it gets lost in the mix..."

Off you go folks! But only one top quality piece of advice!
Looking forward to your ideas, and who knows, some of us may have minor epiphanies as the result of a fellow B.C.er's comments!

On a gear related note:

[i]Always, always play your new toys with the rest of the band before you decide if you like them or not.[/i]

I was gutted when my (now) favourite overdrive came - I'd spend alot of money on it and I plugged it in at home and it sounded awful. Seriously bad. I put it on my "backup" pedal board and decided in a week I'd probably return it to the maker. Next band practice comes around, I pickup the wrong pedalboard on the way out of the house, end up deciding to give this pedal a go.... WOW, it just fits perfectly into the band mix - couldn't be better. Ace.

I've just had an epiphany and I suppose this thread is the perfect place in which to share it.
When I started out back int he 70's I was utterly convinced that writing my own songs, creating my own basslines was all that mattered, and the only way to becoming a self respecting musician. To that end I didn't learn one line of another musician's work for 25 years.
Yesterday, whilst trying to tell my fingers to follow a bass line I was learning (Four Tops "Same Old Song) and they reluctantly refused to go in a direction to which they were unaccustomed, I realised said epiphany was upon me. In trying not to end up sounding like every other hackneyed musician who just lazily copied other bassists I had got myself stuck in a rut of my own making and in so doing had limited the dimensions that rut profoundly.
The lesson I've learned is you cannot learn enough and the wider the variety of music you learn the more strings to your bow. Yes be original, of course be inventive but you'll close your mind to a world of possibilities, and end up trying to reinvent the wheel if you don't learn as diverse a musical catalogue as possible.
Of course I utterly failed to sound original as everyone says I play just like Chris Squire - a bass player I've never even listened to!

[quote name='funkysimon' post='78076' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:33 AM']Don't over-use effects or flashy techniques. Sure, autowah rocks bells, but use it all the time and it loses impact factor.[/quote]

Yeh, I think with respect to creating music in general, you have to create a structure using "contrast", which doesn't necessarily mean dynamics.

Concentrate on YOUR OWN style of playing, first and foremost.

It's inevitable to be influenced by bass players who have impressed you. However, it's better to speak with your own voice as truly as possible. It's YOURS, nobody can do it better than you. That's what pushes things forward.

The bass guitar wasn't dragged from the swamps by drones and clones

Don't use a laptop while playing bass.

I use guitar pro and youtube while i'm playing to work on things or to play along, and I just electrocuted myself slightly. I had one hand on the strings and the other on my laptop.

Has anyone ever died through being electrocuted by a bass/guitar? I don't necessarily mean a laptop, maybe a mic would do the same if it wasn't earthed properly...

If you can't do it slow, you'll never be able to do it fast.

True of so many things in life.

Listen to what makes songs work- what the rhythm section do when they want a song to pick up into a chorus or space out for a bridge. The better you understand those dynamics the better you will sound when you are playing in a band.

[quote name='TheRev' post='78155' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:46 AM']1) The spaces you leave are just as important as the note you play.

2) Never, ever leave a drummer alone with the rider.[/quote]
LOL :) and +1...

My 2p worth would be:

1) Always listen to all of the other musicians in the band, especially the singer
2) Remember that bass is a melodic instrument as well as a rhythmic instrument

Get a job...not a musical job..I mean a REAL job.
Learn space..
Buy an Upright
If your gonna move....make a BIG move
If its encased in plastic it has NO place onstage,trust me IT WILL BREAK!!!
Go Passive at weddings
Love Neodymium...esp at nightmare load ins.
DONT tickle it,its an object,I dont care how much it cost,play it properly.
read
NO really LEARN TO F%*KING READ.....like yesterday.
600w...in a pub...why?
USE THE PA!
A good DI beats a carsride of prayers
Cheap cables=cheap musician
Be the 1st call for your town on Jam nights (if you are asked to stay onstage the longest it means they like you or the resident guy has hip trouble)
You cant get along with everyone,so dont bother..unless the pays outstanding or you need a lift home.
Buy a 5 string,because you WILL need one
Make friends with the Keys player,he will get you out of more sh*t than you can mention
SMILE at the drummer,He is the 1,you are the note......
If you think you are brilliant,buy a fretless...see..that'll teach you you cocky little bugger.
a record deal is A LOAN! with cashback possibly available if you make it big!
You see those upper frets...yes you can use them too.
Come 10:30pm..NO ONE IN THE VENUE CARES where the right note comes from.

Say Thankyou....

..and dont hog the light,If your good you could play in a burka in the pitch black and you would still be paid!

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Jam' post='78512' date='Oct 23 2007, 08:12 PM']Don't use a laptop while playing bass.

I use guitar pro and youtube while i'm playing to work on things or to play along, and I just electrocuted myself slightly. I had one hand on the strings and the other on my laptop.

Has anyone ever died through being electrocuted by a bass/guitar? I don't necessarily mean a laptop, maybe a mic would do the same if it wasn't earthed properly...[/quote]

lol... cute. If you have been electrocuted, I'm afraid you are very dead, by definition ;o)

um.. my advice.. Don't eat yellow snow. lol.. Cheers Mr Zappa.

1) Listen to everything - whether you like it or not is just a matter of personal taste.
2) Listen - no, really, get a cotton bud, clean out your ears and really LISTEN.
3) If you ain't enjoying it, why should the audience enjoy it?
4) Bum notes don't matter - they're in the past and chances are nobody noticed anyway.

Andy

[quote name='dood' post='78599' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:08 AM']lol... cute. If you have been electrocuted, I'm afraid you are very dead, by definition ;o)
um.. my advice.. Don't eat yellow snow. lol.. Cheers Mr Zappa.[/quote]
Fine fine! I recieved a slight electric shock. Happy now?! My god would you feel guilty if i'd actually died.