Why become a member? ×

Pearls of wisdom

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='ARGH' post='78566' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:00 PM']If you think you are brilliant,buy a fretless...see..that'll teach you you cocky little bugger.[/quote]

:) :huh: Class!! There's nothing like a fretless bass, dark stage and a crap foldback mix to help you fill you trousers.

[quote name='ARGH' post='78566' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:00 PM']Buy an Upright[/quote]

++1 - which will go a very long way to avoiding the point above.

There's some gems coming up here. Good work guys!

A couple of highly enlightened people on this thread have already said my main one, but I'll say it again...

LEARN TO READ NOTATION!!! The possibilities are endless...

I'd also add...

If you're having trouble playing a certain passage, think about your technique, how can you make you playing flow? LH shape is very important. Don't play like a guitarist - Remember, it's a bass (a double bass turned through 90 degrees), and has absolutely nothing to do with a g****r!!

Again, learn to play upright bass... Opens up a whole new world of thinking with your electric. (*Lessons available) :)

Make sure you have an instrument for every eventuality.

Turn up early at gigs. Nothing like going on to play relaxed, as opposed to being stressed and harrassed!

Find an amazing drummer to play with - You know when you've got that psychic link & you automatically follow eachother's fills...

Play in as many situations as you can... Shows, operas, jazz, folk, brass bands, big bands, etc... There's more to life than a bunch of middle-aged blokes mistakenly thinking they're rockstars!

Get your other half a drumkit - I did this and have never looked back, it means I get to have all my kit in the lounge (along with her drumkit), I have a drummer available whenever I wanna noodle, I get tons of encouragement, and it's easy to get permission to buy more gear (just have to buy her a new cymbal or something first) :)

Beware of groupies with fake IDs.

On a less serious note, start your own band. Nothing will improve your overall musicianship as quickly or as thoroughly as leading your own band. At the same time, nothing will make you more fat, more bald, more miserable and more stressed. It's very rewarding when it all works though.

[quote]Practise in the dark so you can learn the feel of your fretboard without having to look at it[/quote]
Definitely! This is really important because if your face is anything like mine and you look at your fretboard it creates a double chin that isn't normally there and the stage lighting emphasises this cruelly. Learning to play while you look up means you look better, you photograph better and you can make eye contact and engage with your fellow band members and the audience better.

[quote name='colda' post='78691' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:51 AM']Get your other half a drumkit - I did this and have never looked back, it means I get to have all my kit in the lounge (along with her drumkit), I have a drummer available whenever I wanna noodle, I get tons of encouragement, and it's easy to get permission to buy more gear (just have to buy her a new cymbal or something first) :)[/quote]

Awesome... my missus now plays drums and we have that very same agreement... modified slightly where I buy the bass then promise her that at some point she can buy new cymbals/skins etc... as a drummer she goes for it... :huh: