Why become a member? ×

I might as well stop now...

Bloodaxe

QUOTE (waynepunkdude @ Jan 3 2010, 01:58 PM)
It was good, but am I the only one who thinks it would have sounded better on guitar?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='699602' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:03 PM']No, there are at least two of us.[/quote]

But the Colin Hodkinson doesn't play Guitar - he plays bass, so it only natural for him to play these songs on a bass.
After all a lot of "slap w***ery" would sound better on drums, but we let people play it on bass because that's what they play.

Personally I'd rather listen to this Colin Hodkinson stuff than the likes of Michael Manring, which I personally find incredibly boring.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='699630' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:49 PM']QUOTE (waynepunkdude @ Jan 3 2010, 01:58 PM)
It was good, but am I the only one who thinks it would have sounded better on guitar?

But the Colin Hodkinson doesn't play Guitar - he plays bass, so it only natural for him to play these songs on a bass.
After all a lot of "slap w***ery" would sound better on drums, but we let people play it on bass because that's what they play.

Personally I'd rather listen to this Colin Hodkinson stuff than the likes of Michael Manring, which I personally find incredibly boring.[/quote]
+1 on all of that.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='699475' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:30 PM']In my world there's considerable difference between saying that you don't like something or that it doesn't float your boat and labeling it lame :)

The interweb however is a flawed medium for expressing oneself.[/quote]

Isn't this just due to the way that our language has evolved though? Max could've said it was "sad" and we would all know what he would have meant by that as in "not to his liking" and not taken the literal meaning of the word sad. I think a couple of people on here have taken a throw-away comment too seriously. (I'm not suggesting you have, it's just that I think some people use terms in different ways to other people)

1. Having just looked at the video, I found it a lot of fun. He's a good player with a good grasp of technique & didn't hook his thumb over the top of the neck once or look remotely sloppy in any way.

2. We see a lot of these threads on BC where people automatically decry anything technically interesting, or more to the point, automatically lambaste what they jealously realise they cannot emulate or hope to achieve themselves. My point? [i][b]Don't you dare[/b][/i] decry any professional musician until you've put thirty years' worth of hard practise into your own playing.

3. Stop arguing over nothing. You make yourselves look like a bunch of girls! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='700059' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM']My point? [i][b]Don't you dare[/b][/i] decry any professional musician until you've put thirty years' worth of hard practise into your own playing.[/quote]

With that reasoning only politicians should be allowed to vote. My point? Everyone has an opinion, some are more informed than others but you should be allowed to form them yourselves. If you don't like something (think it's "lame") then I see nothing wrong with saying so.

I didn't like the video, he is obviously talented and\or put a lot of hard work in (and I don't think anyone is disputing that), but it just sounded bad. I did quite like the facial expressions but that's probably because he looks a bit like someone I used to work with.

I have no intention of emulating him because I'm happy being mediocre (or worse), I'm happy playing relatively simple lines that are part of a decent song that I would listen to if I didn't play an instrument.

But that's just me.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='700059' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM']1. Having just looked at the video, I found it a lot of fun. He's a good player with a good grasp of technique & didn't hook his thumb over the top of the neck once or look remotely sloppy in any way.

2. We see a lot of these threads on BC where people automatically decry anything technically interesting, or more to the point, automatically lambaste what they jealously realise they cannot emulate or hope to achieve themselves. My point? [i][b]Don't you dare[/b][/i] decry any professional musician until you've put thirty years' worth of hard practise into your own playing.

3. Stop arguing over nothing. You make yourselves look like a bunch of girls! :)[/quote]

As someone who has much to learn, although I could appreciate the technical ability of the playing, nothing about it inspired me. Furthermore, I simply didn't like it or get it really, there was nothing I could take away from that performance and apply to my learning. To me it sounded like someone who picked up the wrong guitar, ie he meant to pick up the one with six strings and tuned an octave higher.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='700059' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM']1. Having just looked at the video, I found it a lot of fun. He's a good player with a good grasp of technique & didn't hook his thumb over the top of the neck once or look remotely sloppy in any way.

3. Stop arguing over nothing. You make yourselves look like a bunch of girls! :)

4. Here's 20p - You need to call someone who gives a f***![/quote]
OK. I've been playing 33 years. Good grasp of technique apart, I still say it's a poor rendition of blues. It's a 'party-piece' rather than art. Johnson and Skip James both performed it at a far higher level of musicianship.

My [i]automatic[/i] reaction to this thread when I saw Max's response and realised it was Hodgkinson he was writing about was 'pfah - what the hell's he on about?' Then I watched the performance and within a couple of 12-bars I knew exactly what he meant. It was my [i]reasoned[/i] response that I then gave.

Why shouldn't we all be free to express our opinions here about music without our comments opening us up for personal attack?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699346' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:40 AM']Sorry, but that's just... Lame.[/quote]

It's your opinion. Here's mine. It may not be to your taste but it is not lame. If you believe that you don't know what you're talking about. I've never met a truly good musician (or person) for that matter that doesn't keep an open mind. Criticise the style or the choice of material but not the ability or the execution. It's not particularly to my taste either but saying it is lame is a lazy cheap shot.

I'd also add that you seem to attract replies that seem to end up getting personal. Go back and read some of your comments on this thread. Maybe what was said in response to your initial post above was uncalled for, but some of what you've put is condescending and arrogant. I really don't care whether the mods here approve or not but it has to be said, in my very humble opinion.
Nothing [i]personal[/i].

yawn, won't it be better when everyone gets out of their houses and goes back to work? folk get worked up being inside for so long!

i thought he would have been better off with a guitar really. Just cos you *can* do something doesn't mean you have too, i mean im sure i could use garageband and programme a lovely multi track midi version of the same song....

I didn't particularly like it but am glad it was posted as I'd not seen it before. I think my dislike is that all the 'blues feel' was missing, unlike the only other stuff I've heard of his with Alexis Korner.

But all that is just personal opinion and, with anything as subjective as music, can't really be challenged on grounds of personal taste. Some will like it, others won't, but there can't really be right or wrong. Register your vote and move on.

Having said that, it doesn't seem fair to call it lame since there is clearly a lot of skill and technique involved. I just don't like the result of all that skill and technique. I don't like opera or rap either, but I wouldn't call them lame.

I think the first reaction when we don't like something is to say it's sh*t. I try to just say 'I don't like it' instead. But everyone's entitled, I suppose.

It's the tw*ats on YouTube that post mailcious comments for the fun of it that really gets my goat. Mainly yanks.

Oh well, cue 'yankist' comments. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='700222' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:57 AM']I think the first reaction when we don't like something is to say it's sh*t. I try to just say 'I don't like it' instead. But everyone's entitled, I suppose.

It's the tw*ats on YouTube that post mailcious comments for the fun of it that really gets my goat. Mainly yanks.

Oh well, cue 'yankist' comments. :rolleyes:[/quote]
godamn limey muthaf**ka, we're gonna bomb your silly asses out of existence for that ! war on terror ! :)

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699381' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:13 PM']Well, apologies if a video of some skinny white bloke with stupid hair in a crap sweater using one of the sh*ttest bass sounds I've ever heard to accompany himself murdering a Robert Johnson in a dull, toneless voice doesn't yank my crank.[/quote]

Less of the skinny, please. I am skinny myself and I have tried lifting weights and eating more and I just can't do much about it. It looks like I can't help being skinny and I'd appreciate a bit more understanding!

I also can't help agreeing with you about the music...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='700222' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:57 AM']I think the first reaction when we don't like something is to say it's sh*t. I try to just say 'I don't like it' instead. But everyone's entitled, I suppose.

Oh well, cue 'yankist' comments. :)[/quote]

Yankist!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='700059' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM']2. We see a lot of these threads on BC where people automatically decry anything technically interesting, or more to the point, automatically lambaste what they jealously realise they cannot emulate or hope to achieve themselves. My point? [i][b]Don't you dare[/b][/i] decry any professional musician until you've put thirty years' worth of hard practise into your own playing.[/quote]

It's not a particularly technically interesting video and to be frank I reckon there's a good few dozen people on this forum who could do the same thing without any trouble (if they chose to, which they probably woudn't). And why do we have to have three decades of experience before we can criticise anything? I've only got two decades, does that count, or will I only develop the ability to judge things in the next ten years? Does it matter that the guy in the video didn't himself have thirty years of experience when he played it?