Why become a member? ×

I might as well stop now...

Bloodaxe

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699346' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:40 AM']Sorry, but that's just... Lame.[/quote]
Not a great example of a great bass-player (the Robert Johnson original is fantastic, one of my favourite songs). I got into Back Door back in the '70s and was totally gobsmacked by Hodgkinson: a quick youtube search reveals this (clearly solo renditions of '30s blues classics is a bit of a party piece for him) - but I think you should delve into the band stuff available from the same gig (I haven't yet) - there's probably better playing in those.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='699374' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:04 PM']you[/quote]

Well, apologies if a video of some skinny white bloke with stupid hair in a crap sweater using one of the sh*ttest bass sounds I've ever heard to accompany himself murdering a Robert Johnson in a dull, toneless voice doesn't yank my crank.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699381' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:13 PM']Well, apologies if a video of some skinny white bloke with stupid hair in a crap sweater using one of the sh*ttest bass sounds I've ever heard to accompany himself murdering a Robert Johnson in a dull, toneless voice doesn't yank my crank.[/quote]
I agree - this is a pretty poor rendition of a classic blues - no I couldn't do it, but I wouldn't want to: it falls into the classic trap of rocking up the blues, and losing the whole feel and soul of the genre in the process. Charlie Haden does this kind of thing much better.

By the way, I remember now that I was mistaken by saying 'the Robert Johnson original' - this was recorded 6 years earlier by pianist Skip James as '22-20 Blues':

[quote name='teej' post='699377' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:09 PM']Not a great example of a great bass-player (the Robert Johnson original is fantastic, one of my favourite songs). I got into Back Door back in the '70s and was totally gobsmacked by Hodgkinson: a quick youtube search reveals this (clearly solo renditions of '30s blues classics is a bit of a party piece for him) - but I think you should delve into the band stuff available from the same gig (I haven't yet) - there's probably better playing in those.[/quote]

Generally agreed, but I've yet to find another video of 32/20 Blues. For my money the best rendition of it is on Back Door's "8th Street Nights" album.

And Maxrossell - Strokes/Folks eh? I find the vast majority of slappy/tappy/poppy fusion a yawn but it seems pretty popular 'round here.

After all...

:)

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='699391' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:24 PM']And Maxrossell - Strokes/Folks eh? I find the vast majority of slappy/tappy/poppy fusion a yawn but it seems pretty popular 'round here.[/quote]

Oh sure, but you should probably be allowed to point out that you don't like it without some jumped-up tosser calling you an idiot.

i guess if you don't see a problem, you never will.

just because you don't like something shouldn't warrent a rude, blunt and frankly condescending reply. it's obvious the original poster likes, so how do you think your response will make them feel? and was that the intention of your post? if not, and you were merely adding your opinion to a thread there are much more tacful and respectful ways to do it..

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='699399' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:38 PM']i guess if you don't see a problem, you never will.

just because you don't like something shouldn't warrent a rude, blunt and frankly condescending reply. it's obvious the original poster likes, so how do you think your response will make them feel? and was that the intention of your post? if not, and you were merely adding your opinion to a thread there are much more tacful and respectful ways to do it..[/quote]

Blah blah blah. Sorry, but I don't take criticism about my tone from people who open with insults. You got a problem with the way I express myself, so you go one worse and get personal? Smart.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='699399' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:38 PM']i guess if you don't see a problem, you never will.

just because you don't like something shouldn't warrent a rude, blunt and frankly condescending reply. it's obvious the original poster likes, so how do you think your response will make them feel? and was that the intention of your post? if not, and you were merely adding your opinion to a thread there are much more tacful and respectful ways to do it..[/quote]

Guys, please use the PM system if you have issues with each other. This bickering doesn't do the forum any good. Just stoppit.

Could you not see the smile on Hodgies face as he was playing? To say it was lame is just well, extremely lame in itself imo.

No it not bass as we know it Jim but it's superb playing and a great rendition of the song played unusually and brilliantly on a bass.

Very talented and very enjoyable. Not to be taken uber seriously and perhaps a more open attitude would help?

All imo.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='699416' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:50 PM']Could you not see the smile on Hodgies face as he was playing? To say it was lame is just well, extremely lame in itself imo.

No it not bass as we know it Jim but it's superb playing and a great rendition of the song played unusually and brilliantly on a bass.

Very talented and very enjoyable. Not to be taken uber seriously and perhaps a more open attitude would help?

All imo.

Peter[/quote]

Hey, it's just my opinion. I think it sounded like arse, and the smile on his face just made it look like self-indulgent arse.