Why become a member? ×

I might as well stop now...

Bloodaxe

[quote name='XB26354' post='700151' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:59 PM']It's your opinion. Here's mine. It may not be to your taste but it is not lame. If you believe that you don't know what you're talking about. I've never met a truly good musician (or person) for that matter that doesn't keep an open mind. Criticise the style or the choice of material but not the ability or the execution. It's not particularly to my taste either but saying it is lame is a lazy cheap shot.

I'd also add that you seem to attract replies that seem to end up getting personal. Go back and read some of your comments on this thread. Maybe what was said in response to your initial post above was uncalled for, but some of what you've put is condescending and arrogant. I really don't care whether the mods here approve or not but it has to be said, in my very humble opinion.
Nothing [i]personal[/i].[/quote]

We could take about the semantics of the word "lame" for hours, but as you so succinctly put it, it's my opinion. And you may interpret what I said about some video of a guy who'll never read this as condescending and arrogant, but frankly I intepret what you're writing about me as condescending and arrogant. I just think the video's sh*t, and said as much. Feel free to disagree with me. But if you think your admonishments about the way I express myself are going to have any kind of effect, save it. People get personal because they can't handle it and get all p*ssy whenever anyone expresses a strong opinion they disagree with. That's not my problem.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='700177' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:47 AM']Having said that, it doesn't seem fair to call it lame since there is clearly a lot of skill and technique involved. I just don't like the result of all that skill and technique. I don't like opera or rap either, but I wouldn't call them lame.[/quote]

"Lame" wasn't a specific comment about the skill or technique. I just think it's firstly a bad version of the song and secondly a dull-as-ditchwater performance. I don't have a problem with blues, or with people who play bass while they sing, I just think that particular video is rubbish. I don't see why people are getting so bloody uppity about it. It's just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='699416' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:50 PM']Could you not see the smile on Hodgies face as he was playing? {SNIP}

No it not bass as we know it Jim but it's superb playing and a great rendition of the song played unusually and brilliantly on a bass.

Very talented and very enjoyable. Not to be taken uber seriously and perhaps a more open attitude would help?

All imo.

Peter[/quote]

100 % agree ... brought a smile to my face :)

"JAN 4th Max"...ranting away again eh? time to put the kids to bed,... over tired....tut tut.....
Max!Max,Max,max.......just......(quietly:)sssssshhhhuuushhhh; (quieter still: ) sshhussh....

'nite 'nite......max

....you know ...when he's asleep.......awwww!
lights out... (blink!)

:)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='700134' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:38 PM']Folks... whenever someone posts something with a comment along the lines of 'THIS IS GRATE!!!', there's a 90% chance someone will respond with 'This sucks arse' or similar.

It'll happen. It's the Internet. Try not to get upset.[/quote]

It would be great if there was a rule or principle that if you don't like a YT vid posted here, and want to publicly say so, then you should post a reply including an alternative YT vid that you [i]do[/i] really like, i.e. make it constructive criticism. So we can then see where you are coming from (and the OP gets the chance to say, "well I think that sucks too").

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='730039' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:43 PM']Bullsh*t start to finish ....... not the music just the so called opinions
I am saddend[/quote]

Really? I'm quite heartened as it goes...

It's been by far the longest thread I've ever initiated, plus it...
Nearly became an all-out Flame-War, and...
Got to within a whisker of being Locked.

Additionally, now it's been revived, it's likely to be the closest I'll get to having a Zombie Resurrection Thread to call my very own.

I love the interweb, me.

Pete.

PS Shame about Hutton though, there was no need for that in my opinion.