Why become a member? ×

Bassplayer Magazine

Pete Academy

Over the last few months I've virtually given up on the US Bassplayer mag. I usually just pick it up from Smith's and that's that. However, over the last few months, as it's been getting thinner and thinner, I found myself having a quick browse and putting it back on the shelf. Amost a fiver saved.

I received an e-mag from them yesterday. This is the 'online' version'. It looked quite good - a feature on Jamerson by his son and Anthony jackson. A 'funk' lesson from Bootsy. So I bought the issue.

On the weblink it turns out that the Bootsy clip is from an 80's episode of Rockschool. It was fine back in the day, but is now just totally embarrassing. There's a clip of 'Pino with John Mayer'...the very same one that's already been posted on here.

Editor Jonathan Herrera writes like he's desperate for a Pulitzer...Just say what you mean, for God's sake! Pretentious bollocks!!!

The Jamerson feature has Anthony Jackson's usual patronising tone.

The rest of the mag is the usual blend of obscure bands and players.

Never again.

Thank God for BGM!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='681927' date='Dec 12 2009, 08:59 AM']As it 'appens, I picked it up in the shop yesterday - I haven't seen it for a couple of months - and I couldn't believe it. It felt like a pamphlet.

I put it back on the shelf...[/quote]

Me too, I think if you held it up to the light you could see through it!

I bought last month's magazine. There was only one substantive article - a biog and analysis of Scott LaFaro - which looked to have been almost entirely derived from the recent book out on him (that Bilbo pointed out in another thread). Slim pickings indeed

Despite the fact I used to buy it regularly I never liked the tone of the magazine much in the first place; it always felt like Bass Playing for Civil Servants. Having recently picked up a couple of issues in Smiths I did what others in this thread have done and put them straight down again.

Gave up on Bass Player a good few years back, (once in a while I may purchase).
The british equivalent,BGM is getting worse and , if I see it (not very often) I give it
browse and decide whether to purchase there and then.

The old Bassist magazine was good. I wouldn't be surprised if a Bass mag ceases to exist eventually.Or returns to
a small column in a guitar mag like Guitar for the practcing musician.

[quote name='4000' post='682012' date='Dec 12 2009, 10:41 AM']Despite the fact I used to buy it regularly I never liked the tone of the magazine much in the first place; it always felt like Bass Playing for Civil Servants. Having recently picked up a couple of issues in Smiths I did what others in this thread have done and put them straight down again.[/quote]

You can read it in WH Smiths in about 4 minutes. There's nothing there.

[quote name='Rayman' post='682090' date='Dec 12 2009, 12:23 PM']Once you've got all the adverts out of the way, there's very little content of any interest.[/quote]

That's always been my issue with it, and the fact that we're paying a premium for it on this side of the pond.

[quote name='Doddy' post='682245' date='Dec 12 2009, 03:40 PM']I've just bought the new issue and think that it's pretty good this
month. There's a couple of good features on Jamerson and Wimbish,and a
decent Oscar Pettiford lesson.[/quote]

I found the Wimbish interview a bit baffling, especially when he was attempting to describe his technique.

Can anyone shed any light as to what he was on about?

I too had a browse in 'Smiths a month or two ago (Chris Wolstenholme on the cover)

Skinny is not the word .
I remember a few years back , them slating BGM in a real underhand way - like they're in a position to talk .

I too have some old copies , right back to the days when it was quarterly . And although a monthly mag is going to take a hit , content wise when compared to every 2 or 3 month editions , it really is piss poor now .

Tend to buy Guitar and Bass sometimes , and that's quite interesting .
As for Guitarist Magazine , I still remember the first edition , when Bassist went back to the fold , and they promised a vibrant bass section , and it wouldn't drop . Well now , when I can be bothered , I scan through the latest editions at the shop , and you'll be lucky to get one revue . Roger Newell must have the cushiest job in the world .

surely Bass Player's decline is relative to both our advancing years and the scarcity of quality subject matter?

FWIW BP Mag was one of the best tutors I ever had... got to learn heaps from it over the years.
195 issues I have bought, and whilst the best for me was probably the mid-90's! if it was as helpful to some young cat stratign out now as it was too me then , well fair suck of the sav.

Roberts and Jisi could return though eh? :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='682362' date='Dec 12 2009, 05:48 PM']Gave up on Bass Player a good few years back, (once in a while I may purchase).
The british equivalent,BGM is getting worse and , if I see it (not very often) I give it
browse and decide whether to purchase there and then.

The old Bassist magazine was good. I wouldn't be surprised if a Bass mag ceases to exist eventually.Or returns to
a small column in a guitar mag like Guitar for the practcing musician.[/quote]

Now there's optimism for you...

I may be biased but having gone through a load of old bass mags from a few years ago BGM's current state is a VAST improvement on what it used to look and read like, it was shocking, now it's looking and reading loads better, and all credit is due also to the music lessons in the back of the mag, there's stuff of real substance there now, I think it's actually got, er, all bases covered now and obviously Nick wants t keep on improving it. I was speaking with a US bassist recently and he said he'd just discovered BGM and thought it was loads better than the US one, which I also used to buy with some regularity but haven't done so for at least a couple of years, their website is actually pretty good if you dig into it, and bassplayer.tv has tons of original/exclusive video lesson and performances on, not sure why the mag version is getting thin, I know the advertising downturn has hit hundreds of mags worldwide and many have closed... maybe they are next?

M