Why become a member? ×

Bassplayer Magazine

Pete Academy

[quote name='foal30' post='682777' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:35 AM']surely Bass Player's decline is relative to both our advancing years and the scarcity of quality subject matter?

FWIW BP Mag was one of the best tutors I ever had... got to learn heaps from it over the years.
195 issues I have bought, and whilst the best for me was probably the mid-90's! if it was as helpful to some young cat stratign out now as it was too me then , well fair suck of the sav.

Roberts and Jisi could return though eh? :)[/quote]

You certainly have a good point, there. We surely can't expect to see players we all love every month.

Even though I still get it monthly, it is pretty sh*te.

Problems? It's too small. They seem to have a hard and fast rule about only reviewing one bass and one amp per issue. Too much tab (any tab is too much IMO). The interviews don't go into a great depth unless you've got Geddy Lee or JMJ in the chair and even then they just don't seem to ask the questions a fan would ask. It's a very advertisement-driven publication and there is way to much empty space on the pages. Not enough photos of gear either and poor photos if they do publish them.

This month: 28 pages of adverts against 45 pages of editorial.

P

The problem that all printed publications face these days is the internet. There's a wealth of information available on line that simply didn't exist 10 years ago. Just about every single bass luthier and manufacturer has their own web site, there's review sites and forums like this one and TB. If you want to find out about a particular bass or amp you don't have to worry about waiting for one of the magazines to fit it in amongst their Warwick reviews. You can just go on line and find first-hand reports from people who are actually using the items in question.

The biggest problem I have with the magazine equipment reviews (and this is what I'm mostly interested in - players I are OK provided that they're articulate and have something interesting to say, and for me transcriptions are a waste of ink and paper, if I want to learn how to play a song, I'll listen to it and figure it out for myself) is that they don't have enough depth. At least half the review usually covers things that are already obvious from the photographs. What I want to know are practical things like how easy is ti to change the strings and battery or to adjust the bridge and truss rod. Stuff which almost never mentioned.

I've already stopped buying magazines for my other main interest - computers and graphics, because they've been left behind by what is available on-line. Computer hardware and software simply moves too fast to for print deadlines to cope anymore. I don't think that the musical instrument press will be quite as badly affected, because developments don't move as fast, but they are already getting left behind. The bass coverage of the winter NAMM show on TalkBass far outstrips what any of the magazines do, and that's just a few enthusiastic bass players with digital cameras, against what should be professional journalists.

I also think that those enthusing about the glories of Bassist magazine are probably doing it through good old rose-tinted specs. It didn't really have the on-line competition, so it's job was much easier. I'm sure that if you went back and re-read them objectively against the resources available today it wouldn't stack up anymore. I can still get nostalgic for the magazines I grew up with - International Musician and Sounds International, but the best place for them is probably in my memory. I'm sure I'd find most of them embarrassingly poor if re-read now.

Oh, and the sooner, that bastion of weak journalism that is Future Publishing goes tits up the better.

[quote name='E sharp' post='682433' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:48 PM']I remember a few years back , them slating BGM in a real underhand way - like they're in a position to talk .[/quote]

I can't recall any time when Bass Player slated BGM. They printed a couple of letters from people
that were negative towards 'Guitar World's Bass Guitar' magazine,but I don't think they said anything
about BGM.

There are a couple of things that could be done to entice :
1.) Make it available in more shops. (not everyone wants a subscription)
Going into central London ,for example and a 'now you see it, now you don't'
stock in a WHSmith's store is just not good enough.
If it's out there,then they should at least promote the fact.
Even Bass Player magazine is more visible,despite being anorexic.

2.) It's about time that ,cds/Dvd's come with each issue. There are loads of effects for bassplayers these days.
There are even acoustic basses.So many mags have cds/Dvd's . If it's good enough for guitarists....

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='683238' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:02 PM']2.) It's about time that ,cds/Dvd's come with each issue. There are loads of effects for bassplayers these days.
There are even acoustic basses.So many mags have cds/Dvd's . If it's good enough for guitarists....[/quote]

Noooooooooo! Please god not another coaster. It's a wasteful chance to make the cover price shoot up. NOTHING needs to be on a CD any more. Links to downloadable, or streaming sound files is more than enough, in my opinion!

Cheers,
James

Well i'v gotta say that i'm starting to get pissed off with BGM, it used to be a good read with well priced products reviewed. Now all the bass's are in the thousend's ££ and i think it's lost it's way, not enough stuff for a once a month mag so their filling it with sh*t. Go back to every 2 months BGM, and lets have some decent content!!!!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='683238' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:02 PM']2.) It's about time that ,cds/Dvd's come with each issue. There are loads of effects for bassplayers these days.
There are even acoustic basses.So many mags have cds/Dvd's . If it's good enough for guitarists....[/quote]

No way!!

I really dislike the whole cover mounted CD thing. It ups the price,and is of
no real value whatsoever -I think.

[quote name='Doddy' post='683027' date='Dec 13 2009, 02:38 PM']I can't recall any time when Bass Player slated BGM. They printed a couple of letters from people
that were negative towards 'Guitar World's Bass Guitar' magazine,but I don't think they said anything
about BGM.[/quote]
You're probably right . I'm probably mistaken .

This happens to me more frequently , now I've past 40 . :)

We don't need reviews of cheap basses anymore. They're hanging up in every music store in the country where you can go and play them and make your own mind up.

I want to see reviews of stuff that isn't everywhere, so I have an idea whether or not it's going to be worth the effort to track one down to try out.

It's still better than any UK bass mag I've ever read. I used to read Bassist too and it made me feel embarrassed to play what came across as clearly an idiot's instrument played in very simple fashion by the likes of Guigsy et al. Obviously Bass Player has to pander to their younger readers by interviewing the bassist from the current "big thing" rock bands but there are still enough decent articles.

I admit that it's not as good as when Bill Leigh was editor but it's still easily the best out there.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='682362' date='Dec 12 2009, 05:48 PM']The british equivalent,BGM is getting worse[/quote]
Blimey, we must be reading a different BGM. I think it's getting better every month.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='682790' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:01 AM']This month: 28 pages of adverts against 45 pages of editorial.[/quote]
Outrageous. There is no excuse for that.

[quote name='Rayman' post='682415' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:33 PM']Actually, I take it back, it [i]is[/i] quite a good magazine, for lining the hamsters cage with.[/quote]
A Dibley farmer writes: "I like Bass Player magazine. It's not too rough on the buttocks."

I got excited today when I saw the classic James Jamerson cover but the excitement quickly disappeared as I realised I could almost feel my fingerprints through the entire magazine. It was almost too flimsy to flick through and at £4.25 a pop that just isn't cricket. With NancyJohnson's observation of ads to editorial this really is outrageous.

I know Bassist used to cover people like Guigsy from Oasis but I thought it always had a great balance of artists and reviews.

I have BGM on subscription and I think it's improving (almost) every month. I enjoy it. :)

I'm afraid I also buy BP (almost) every month, and that seems to be deteriorating at the same rate. I guess it's like self-harming: I know I shouldn't do it, but nothing else gives me the same buzz. :wacko: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='684605' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:23 PM']I have BGM on subscription and I think it's improving (almost) every month. I enjoy it. :)

I'm afraid I also buy BP (almost) every month, and that seems to be deteriorating at the same rate. I guess it's like self-harming: I know I shouldn't do it, but nothing else gives me the same buzz. :wacko: :rolleyes:[/quote]That, is a classic quote.
But seriously, stop buying both, they're sh*t reads. I have BGM near the crapper and I read the back of toilet products before them.

Our local Borders had it's last day today and were practically giving stuff away (including the furniture). Managed to pick up Bass Player for 50p, which although it is thin and a shadow of it's old self, was probably reasonable value!!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='684719' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:55 PM']That, is a classic quote.
But seriously, stop buying both, they're sh*t reads. I have BGM near the crapper and I read the back of toilet products before them.[/quote]

Come on Steve, BGM is not that bad, it has improved quite a bit over the last few month's. Give the guy's some credit.