Why become a member? ×

People who don't turn up to auditions

Steve_nottm

Why????

We auditioned for a new singer for the covers band on Sat. Now....we're reasonably establised and professional. We had a lot of response, and a lot of enthusiasm.

Why then did we only see 2 people instead of the 7 i'd arranged? Turned an OK day into an almost completely wasted one (and neither of the 2 who did turn up are right for us so we'll have to do it all over again!)

aargh

Common courtesy, politeness and decency seem to be in very short supply these days, and if you don't agree you can feck off :)
Why is it some people are incapable of picking up a phone and saying "sorry, summat's come up, can't make it"..?

Yeah, but what about the people who don't contact you after an audition? Or just keep stringing you along until you find out they got someone else on their website? :)

Just tell me I haven't got the job. I obviously like the band or I wouldn't have auditioned, but do you still think I'm gonna come and see you now?

Bitter? Me? Nah! :rolleyes:

Ive also noticed this, I had my first audition for a band with people i didnt know 2 weeks ago, i learned all the songs they told me too, some more that i saw they had played from youtube and a go at some of their originals, they were very impressed and i got the part.

But ive emailed other bands and rang texted etc, that have been looking for a bass player, and got nothing, or they have arranged some date and given me songs to learn, and then when i ask were later, no reply.

Its sort of the same idea i think, people want to find someone, but want no hassle of getting to know the person, get along with them, what they really all want is a friend who they can mold. Ive also felt this but have persevered, i hate it and at 16 its difficult to have time wasters as its not only mine but my mum or dads, it piss's me off.

Not quite the same but I always remember what someone said to me in that if you're late, it implies your time is more important than the other person's. I'm not saying I'm never late, but I'm always pretty damned apologetic.

I remember trying to audition a singer once who when we called her because she was late, said she was just around the corner and would be there in five minutes - she never showed!

No excuse for it.

I once turned up 2 hours late for an audition. I had no transport and no knowledge of the area and it was far up in North London when I was from South London. I had to get a lift from someone who also didn't really know where this place was. Thankfully the guys were still there (although now stoned 'cos they thought I was a no-show). Anyway, had a decent jam with the drummer, got the part, played with them for a few months, eventually left 'cos the singer was awful - and took the drummer with me!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='623654' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:46 AM'][b]So it's Nottingham where there are unreliable musicians?[/b] :)

Yep, 100% agree[/quote]

Seems that way :rolleyes:

Actually we're more derby/burton based so perhaps it's a burton thing

Anyway, since Sat I've had one very apologetic call from someone who's car broke down and didn't have a mobile with her, so that's one second chance handed out.

Round two in a week or so!

this has given me an idea.

bassist seem to be the most consistently reliable, able, enthusiastic and of course, talented :) of ALL the musicians.

why bother searching for drummers that have no sense of time (clock AND rhythm), singers that can't sing yet think they're gods gift to us, and guitarists that don't understand that when a song finishes you STOP playing, and don't start again until the START.

why not form a band where every instrument is played by a BASSIST. the most punctual, considerate, musically sensitive, dynamically aware band in excistence!

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='623982' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:04 PM']this has given me an idea.

bassist seem to be the most consistently reliable, able, enthusiastic and of course, talented :) of ALL the musicians.

why bother searching for drummers that have no sense of time (clock AND rhythm), singers that can't sing yet think they're gods gift to us, and guitarists that don't understand that when a song finishes you STOP playing, and don't start again until the START.

why not form a band where every instrument is played by a BASSIST. the most punctual, considerate, musically sensitive, dynamically aware band in excistence![/quote]

Ah, nothing would ever get done, as it would be a never ending loop of each one complementing the others on how good they are in a very considerate manner!

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='623982' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:04 PM']this has given me an idea.

why not form a band where every instrument is played by a BASSIST. the most punctual, considerate, musically sensitive, dynamically aware band in excistence![/quote]

If a band full of bass players played live would the audience even notice them ??

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='623982' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:04 PM']bassist seem to be the most consistently reliable, able, enthusiastic and of course, talented :) of ALL the musicians.[/quote]

Yeah, right! Either it's the class of people I keep or the kind of music I play, but othing could be further from the truth.

we had an annoying one lately - trying to get a singer for a new tribute band project - guy rings up, sounds like he could be ok, so ask him whens a good time for him to come over and try out and agree on a sunday night. i tell him i'll get rehearsal room booked etc and get back to him to confirm - but on doing so he says, 'oh i can't make it that late at night'... erm is 7pm late at night? and why say he could do it when he couldn't!!?

so he says can we get something earlier? so i re-arrange for an afternoon slot instead - again ring him to confirm and apparently he can't do afternoon either because he's rehearsing with his other band!! aaaargh!! why did he not say that when he said to sort something for earlier!!?? and apparently he can't do evenings during the week because he has to be at work for 9am!!? erm.... doesn't everyone?

so sod him. no matter how good a singer he may or may not be i'm not gonna keep chasing someone who clearly isn't going to be reliable or make any kind of effort. Had a few complete no shows too which is annoying when you've still got to pay for the rehearsal room etc. Idiots, the lot of 'em!!

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='624074' date='Oct 12 2009, 03:36 PM']we had an annoying one lately - trying to get a singer for a new tribute band project - guy rings up, sounds like he could be ok, so ask him whens a good time for him to come over and try out and agree on a sunday night. i tell him i'll get rehearsal room booked etc and get back to him to confirm - but on doing so he says, 'oh i can't make it that late at night'... erm is 7pm late at night? and why say he could do it when he couldn't!!?

so he says can we get something earlier? so i re-arrange for an afternoon slot instead - again ring him to confirm and apparently he can't do afternoon either because he's rehearsing with his other band!! aaaargh!! why did he not say that when he said to sort something for earlier!!?? and apparently he can't do evenings during the week because he has to be at work for 9am!!? erm.... doesn't everyone?

so sod him. no matter how good a singer he may or may not be i'm not gonna keep chasing someone who clearly isn't going to be reliable or make any kind of effort. Had a few complete no shows too which is annoying when you've still got to pay for the rehearsal room etc. Idiots, the lot of 'em!!

peace

c[/quote]

So he can only gig in the morning on every third Saturday except when there's an R in the month or a full moon, or it's raining, or sunny and no stairs and the beer has to at precisely 4 degrees ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='624087' date='Oct 12 2009, 03:46 PM']The guy I'm auditioning (for) on Wednesday has asked me to bring my Fender 4 string 'cos they are "traditional" :rolleyes:
Cheeky get. I'd not dream of telling him to play a Taylor 200 rather than a Martin D1

Shuker P5 it is then :)[/quote]

Fight the Power!!